Flies grr.

samboy

Hi gang.

Just walked into my lounge and kitchen to be greeted by about 30 flies. God know where they come from but after 15 mins with hoover and swat iv'e managed to get them all.

Nothing rotten laying about so its a bit of a mystery. All windows are closed.

5 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Just walked into my lounge and kitchen to be greeted by about 30 flies. God know where they come from but after 15 mins with hoover and swat iv'e managed to get them all.

Nothing rotten laying about so its a bit of a mystery. All windows are closed.

Bird/s dead down chimney behind a fire?

Samboy, I've just been moaning about the same thing her in N Yorkshire - we are inundated with them. We've resorted to good old fashioned fly papers.  

A couple,of years ago I did get into bother from the boss as the result of a badly placed deer head and a pint of maggots - but this time round there's nothing rotting, just blinking flies everywhere 

Could be cluster flies if there's a lot of them for no apparent reason. (They look like slightly smaller black houseflies.) The bad news is they keep coming back. Good news is if you buy the right stuff, you can get rid of them for good. We sprayed some stuff to kill them, then a different spray for where they might have been coming in. We had loads last year and none this year. 

Google cluster flies. 

9 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Caravan just got a load in this afternoon. OH had a swatting session with an ordinance survey map. Dogs cleared up the residues. :good:

Was he swatting you for leaving the windows open?  :whistling:

Hi

Just binned a red top fly trap we had from poundworld closing down sale. It's been in the garden by the chicken pen for a week and it's full ! Stinks to high heaven now but I suppose 6 inches deep of dead flies doesnt help!

Cheers

9 hours ago, walshie said:

Could be cluster flies if there's a lot of them for no apparent reason. (They look like slightly smaller black houseflies.) The bad news is they keep coming back. Good news is if you buy the right stuff, you can get rid of them for good. We sprayed some stuff to kill them, then a different spray for where they might have been coming in. We had loads last year and none this year. 

Google cluster flies. 

Cluster flies would be my best guess, but if you have managed to get rid of them in a single season you have done well, they can take several years of steady work to eradicate!.

The problem is they lay eggs outside and infest worms and the cycle continues, so continuous work, sometimes for several years.

Various Smoke/Fogs I find best as they get almost everywhere, far better than spray, and most commonly in roof spaces.

Good luck to the OP.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

has anyone tried the liquid traps that attracts then kills the flies, you can hang it up near where the problem area is.

wp_ss_20180715_0001.png.405074bcad1d8a736e48cd3bca3ce8a7.png

Yes,

Tried a few but always go back to the red top fly trap. It has to be the original one as others in my experience are rubbish.

Simple to use just hang well away from the house as after a couple of weeks the smell is horrific. They catch and kill thousands.

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

Cluster flies would be my best guess, but if you have managed to get rid of them in a single season you have done well, they can take several years of steady work to eradicate!.

Maybe it's the weather or maybe I'm lucky but last year we had an infestation at the top of the stairs and another in the conservatory. This year - none. :good:

11 hours ago, walshie said:

Google cluster flies. 

I agree.   Daughters attic smoke bombed them twice.

My other half never stops buying house plants, I think at recent count we are up to 30 a mixture of banana, ferns etc. 

Bought one recently and then went away for a couple of weeks with a family member letting themselves in to water the plants inside and out.

Came back to an invasion of bloody Fungus Gnats that must have had their larvae on the new plant which has subsequently spread across the rest of the house. Managed to sort the problem 'just'. Had about 6 of those window stickers up in each window to attract and catch any we could and each one has caught the best part of 200 fungus gnats. 

Horrible.

On the plus side, not having much issue with the cluster flies this year!

3 hours ago, BritishShooting said:

My other half never stops buying house plants, I think at recent count we are up to 30 a mixture of banana, ferns etc. 

Bought one recently and then went away for a couple of weeks with a family member letting themselves in to water the plants inside and out.

Came back to an invasion of bloody Fungus Gnats that must have had their larvae on the new plant which has subsequently spread across the rest of the house. Managed to sort the problem 'just'. Had about 6 of those window stickers up in each window to attract and catch any we could and each one has caught the best part of 200 fungus gnats. 

Horrible.

On the plus side, not having much issue with the cluster flies this year!

I will send you some of mine lol.