ASE ULTRA MODERATOR

Gerry78

Hello posting looking advice my ticket came through for my cz 222 I bought the gun in scotland and had it shipped to a dealer in northern ireland the dealer had the gun since march taking months over here for paperwork to come through  when i went to look at the gun months ago the dealer said the threats were 1/2x20unf so told him to order me a moderator in he recommended ASE Went down yesterday to collect gun he told me moderator wasent screwing on tight bout inch and half from fitting tight to barrel SORRY MY QUESTION is im gona have to take to gunsmith and is it big job to run machine up the threats or moderator any advice ???

Couple photos

CE077C5D-0B5A-43AB-90ED-9B508CABE139.jpeg

E9EECEE3-5C21-42DA-9B02-5DC8836002DD.jpeg

That's not an inch and a half. it's about 1/8" by the looks of it. First I'd get the threads checked to see they match. It's more than likely the paint on the thread making it tight, so running a die over it a couple of times should sort it. I'm surprised the dealer didn't do that. The mod won't need anything done to it.

Edited by walshie

No it's not a big job. Just check he got the right thread mod first. There's another 1/2" thread called something else. 1/2" x 28. If the threads are the same, running a die over the screwcut bit will take 30 seconds. 

Thanks the dealer in Scotland been in contact with him says threating 1/2x20 so the dealer in n Ireland got the moderator but with the gun lying in hes shop 5 months he had moderator so think he coulda checked it for me but not to worry hopefully as Walshie says be a straight forward job

I had this a few years ago when I had a rifle threaded 1/2" unf. The moderator was also 1/2" unf but it wouldn't screw on more than two thirds of the way. .

Turned out that the thread had a slight taper on it and was tightening up as the mod' was screwed on.. Fortunately I was able to borrow a unf die and re-thread  it myself, but it was never satisfactory and had to be re-cut. (Richard Pope did it the second time).

Be careful the mod' isn't 1/2" unef

Whatever the difference in threads is, it is close, which is probably more dangerous than a complete miss-match.

If you get a nut an bolt of the same diameter but with completely different threads, a turn and half is all you can expect to get.

That has gone five or six by the looks of it.

As the others have said get it checked by someone with thread gauges.

Id not be happy with that,, defo a gunsmith job to fix it properly, and i would certainly be speaking to the guy who said it would fit or the guy that sold it to you saying its the right one. 

You could of course cut 1/2 an inch off the end. (just kiddin) 

Yea dougyThanks gona bring it down to gunsmith have a look at it ?hoping its just a couple of threads The gun dealer over here N Ireland had the rifle and moderator in the shop for near 4 months and didn’t even check it Just told me on Saturday when went down to collect it after paperwork came through letterbox 

I personally as others have said would be checking with a thread gauge before doing any modification/ screw cutting.

Sounds to me like the moderator is an incorrect thread for the rifle, and unlikely to be faulty IMO.

Mate has CZ 17 HMR and  CZ .22LR , moderator on one rifle won't fit the thread on the other but both are correct thread for their respective barrel.

Edited by Good shot?
add on.

Just now, Good shot? said:

I personally as others have said would be checking with a thread gauge before doing any modification/ screw cutting.

Sounds to me like the moderator is an incorrect thread for the rifle.

I personally can't see the point in checking thread pitch,depth,thread angle. it's still a job for a competent gun smith. 

Hand over both rifle and mod and they should sort it.. 

It's a pain that the original one hadn't done a decent job in supplying something fit for purpose, as I've a,ready commented I would be having a word. 

Is getting a competent gunsmith ( presumably at a cost) to verify the correct thread and sort actually necessary.

If the moderator thread is incorrect or faulty the original supplier should order in the correct moderator as you say.

I would not want a moderator thread altering to fit my rifle or vice versa.

Edited by Good shot?

9 hours ago, walshie said:

All this talk of extra expense. If it's the wrong thread the dealer should change it. If it's the right thread, as said, it's probably the paint bunging it up. (I've had this happen. Took 10 seconds to sort.

Seems I'm agreeing with walshie again, this thread appears to have got very involved/detailed where the problem is fundamentally quite straightforward.

I bought a new Tikka threaded 18x1 which would accept one mod but another brand would only go on about half way. Jackson Rifles very kindly at no charge sent me one of their own dies to borrow as I couldn't source one locally to chase the threads. It only needed a minute bit of material removed and fitted perfectly after.

Cheers the gun smith im taking it to does a lot of barrels over here in n Ireland so he knows hes stuff dont think it will be a big job could be the new moderator as above post mentioned Whats annoying me is the dealer who i got the CZ 222 shipped to he recommended the moderator to fit i payed him £240 for it and as I said he had both in hes shop for months and didn’t bother hes backside checking it for me Ive been buying and trading guns last 10 years with this guy I realise now a lot of them just after your money seams no loyalty in some gun dealers but will get it sorted even if it costs But as I mentioned on other post hes lost my trade il just go somewhere else cheers for the reply’??