A question of ettiquette

Wb123

This evening a farmer I met over a work barbecue invited me to shoot his barley at harvest time, he already has a chap who decoys off his field and they seem to have a decent relationship so I have no desire to pinch the best bit of the mans shooting year, neither however do I want to offend the farmer by declining. How do I proceed?

Meet up with the other shooter if you have not already and explain that the farmer asked you to do a bit of shooting ,  totally unsolicited and can we work it together.  See what the response is.

Can be an advantage if two guns are out moving 'em about.

Edited by Walker570

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Meet up with the other shooter if you have not already and explain that the farmer asked you to do a bit of shooting ,  totally unsolicited and can we work it together.  See what the response is.

exactly this.......:good:

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

This. I was asked to shoot rabbits on land another had birds on. Fortunately I knew him so contacted him as I wanted to ok it with him first; it wasn’t a problem. 

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Yes crack on! If the other shooter challenges you, explain the position, if he doesn't like it, tell him to take it up with the farmer!

Hate it when other shooters ‘challenge peoole’ ... seem to think they own the land ?

Just has a job sorting squirrels on a piece of woodland.  Farmer Ok about it but I knew there was also a deer group who stalk the ground.  I asked the keeper to text them every time I was going to be there as I did not want to turn up at daybreak and spoil their day.  Very amenable arrangement which was appreciated.  Only good manners.  If I found a stranger shooting on land I had permission to be on and I had not been informed i would not be very happy, purely from the safety side of things.  Simple good manners and often leads to other opportunities.

On 15/07/2018 at 22:41, Walker570 said:

And just add that the farmer said he's a rubbish shot too. That's why he's asked someone else to help out. 

Don't worry you'll be fine. 

Must admit i'd turn the permission down, i have turned down loads of rabbit shooting over the years after being asked by the farmer (including occasionally being offered money for it) if i see a feed hooper of if it is someone elses ground.

For me not worh the hassle and value my reputation more.

9 hours ago, scotslad said:

Must admit i'd turn the permission down, i have turned down loads of rabbit shooting over the years after being asked by the farmer (including occasionally being offered money for it) if i see a feed hooper of if it is someone elses ground.

For me not worh the hassle and value my reputation more.

How would it impact your reputation? 

The farmers asked you to shoot the pests... if someone (who don’t even own the land) starts hassling you then they’re an idiot. 

Its not their land and it’s not their decision who gets to shoot on it. 

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:10, Lloyd90 said:

Hate it when other shooters ‘challenge peoole’ ... seem to think they own the land ?

?????????????????

There are plenty of good reasons why anyone responsible would challenge/question someone else on land, whats wrong with it?

Edited by Dekers

I would not be happy if new people came on ground I shoot on. There are lots of people that I have met that can promise the earth. Have every bit of gear. But quite frankly have no idea and are not safe. This is the main issue for me.

I am mainly a rifle shooter and people can do more harm than good in many situations.

I have a good bond with all of the landowners I shoot for they know I will do a good job and will let me know if there is anyone interested.

On 2 of the larger farms I have they have told potential shooters to speak to me about the shooting. Which to me is a great pat on the back.

Remember some 35 odd years ago when I first went to shoot on my local farm. I was walking along a hedge at the top end and saw a couple of lads Ferreting the hedge. They saw me and asked who the hell I was and what I was doing there. Felt a bit awkward but let them know my name, at which point they were OK as the farmer had told them to watch out for me.

They were mainly into Ferrets but liked the occasional pigeon shoot, but weren't able to get onto the farm very often, which was why I had been allowed to shoot there. 

Got on well with them after that, but I'm sure I would want to know who was shooting there if I saw them.

I had a permission where another guy had same rights but as the newby I always checked I was alone on days I wanted to shoot. However it all went pearshaped when I discovered heaps of empty cartridges, him rough shooting behind me when I was decoying and then the landowner asked me to keep an eye out for a .22 rifle he had mislaid!! Too many irregularities for my liking.

On 16 July 2018 at 11:30, motty said:

The farmer asked you. I would just crack on.

Bang on, farmers asking you because the others don't turn up when required( or couldn't turn up when required)

he wouldn't ask otherwise, he needs his assets protecting( the more guns the better)

My farmers ask to send them a text/ a call  ( goes without saying)so everybody is safe when multiple shooters are in different areas, protecting there assets

work together ,

quite frankly dont worry about it,

, the farmer has asked YOU

crack on old bean

flynny

Edited by flynny

I would just get on with it, if there are pigeons there and the other chap is worth his salt you will see him whilst out doing a reccy because he will be doing the same. One farm I shoot has the usual butterfly shooters and the chap from the village who turn out at on spring drilling and harvest for a day or 2, the other 363 days of the year I see nobody.

I think its polite to introduce yourself, even its a matter of safety so that the other shooter knows you might also be there... I know of a perm near me where someone has gone in and the two resident shooters did not know. So potentially two or three rifles out... Two know of each other the third is unknown. Makes for a potential problem... There is nothing wrong with being courteous. Also less likely to annoy fellow shooters. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I think its polite to introduce yourself, even its a matter of safety so that the other shooter knows you might also be there... I know of a perm near me where someone has gone in and the two resident shooters did not know. So potentially two or three rifles out... Two know of each other the third is unknown. Makes for a potential problem... There is nothing wrong with being courteous. Also less likely to annoy fellow shooters. 

You can only introduce yourself if you know who the other shooters are though. 

Funny thing is there’s plenty of people who will whine and complain when someone else is allowed to shoot on “their land”, but won’t think twice of going on someone else’s permission, even when they know who shoots there. 

End of the day speak to the farmer/ land owner, they own it and they decide who shoots it!