Minor damage repair wood stock

Houseplant

I stupidly bashed my CZ452 on a metal gate post and gave it quite a ding. The steam iron technique brought out the indentation, but it's not quite right and I would like to get it back to how it was. Any recommendations for what to do next? I'm assuming some sanding and revarnishing? Any tips on which materials? Cheers.

1z5rh1h.jpg

Edited by Houseplant

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

One of the tricks used by antique furniture restorers was to rub the area with a raw walnut kernel, it helps hide scratches and dings. I personally have not used the idea on a gun stock but it may be worth a try.

hello, having a walnut tree in the garden when i was a nipper and the shells split and dropped to the ground my hands were covered in stain to get out the nut ?? 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, having a walnut tree in the garden when i was a nipper and the shells split and dropped to the ground my hands were covered in stain to get out the nut ?? 

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, use the edible nut after it has been dried. 

The young yellow staining walnuts are great for pickling, yum yum.

15 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, use the edible nut after it has been dried. 

The young yellow staining walnuts are great for pickling, yum yum.

hello, there are quite a few web sites on using walnuts or the husk to make a dye, even for leather

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

why don't you bash the other side the  it won't look so bad , make sure it's the same gate post , good luck . jokeing aside it happened to me the other week , got home from the world series E J CHURCHILL  to find my miruku grade 5 stock broke off from the action to the teardrop glued it back on with trade glue after another 2 100 bird reg  it's still holding I think it got broken in there pick up's when everybody put's there gear in when we have finished .

my 2 pence worth...........

that wood is beech...............beech dosnt take stain well...........what the makers do is to cover/pressure treat it using a stained varnish.....to repair it you need to use a stained tough finish varnish....usually a very good quality yaght varnish.......and they are expensive...........i built an irish Currah a few years ago and the stained varnish was the most expensive item....so try and blag some the right shade....

thin it down 50%...dab it on..let it dry light sand  do it again...then thin it 10% do it again ...dry light sand...full varnish....and that should do it..........all the beech stocked guns ive had that have been varnished...i have stripped and oiled...then i dont get the scratch problem...and if done well looks a lot better...........