Moths

tonker

Having just read a thread on flies in the house and not wishing to highjack the thread, I thought I'd start one on Moths.

For some reason we have loads of the little blighters, in the lounge, and now they are finding their way upstairs. We've tried the spray for them, and the little sticky moth traps which catch a lot. but they really don't seem to like fly spray either, a good spray around and shortly after you can see 6-12 flying around until they drop. Although sitting in the room after a good dose of fly spray is not very pleasant.

Has anyone else got the problem? How did you manage to get rid of them?  Mrs called them carpet moths and they seem to like awkward places to get to, under the piano, corner units and glass cabinets, our house is 250 yrs old, I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Also have a problem with moths, yet to find a solution so will watch thread with interest! Our place is 200+ years old, we didn't have an issue until last year. Working on the assumption that they came in along with some old fishing kit which had been kept in a garage. Casualties include assorted items of clothing and (unusually) a shoe brush. The bristles were covered in what I assume were eggs. It was a write-off... 

6 hours ago, old man said:

Maybe try a couple of conkers next season, an old remedy methinks?

House is full of conkers. When the daughter was here she put them in all the corners, think that was for spiders though.

4 hours ago, Ratmanwan said:

Find out what type of moth you have , this will tell you why you have got them. That's the first step to getting rid of them. If you have expensive carpets with a high wool content they are probably carpet moth.

Ratmanwan, yes that's what they are. but how do I get rid of them. They have already eaten chunks out of the carpet in all the hard to get at places. As said I've tried the moth spray,traps and ordinary fly spray and the blighters still keep coming.?.

My wife hates moths - she is a big knitter and has wool everywhere - so she uses something called moth cloths and puts these in all drawers, her work basket, bags of wool etc and these seem to work. Smell not too good when cloths are fresh but quite nice as it fades. Tried to find box to give you gen but no sign and she's snoring now - not good to wake her too early!

6 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Got humming bird hawk moths at mine. Always amazing critters to watch! Mainly active early morning and evenings on honeysuckle and budleah. NB

Saw my first humming bird hawk moth this month amazing to watch,