Such a Busy time of year, do you contact your farmers

lloydi73

Ok, quick question out there to you shooters old and new.....

At this time of year, do you contact your farmer either by ringing ot texting to let them know when you're going and leaving? I only ask, as one particular large farm I shoot, has told me he doesn't really need to know, but I still feel better for advising, on the other hand, I don't want him thinking I'm bothering him especuially as harvesting is flat out at the moment?!?

I had a bit of bother last week with residents complaining when we were lamping. We respeced their wishes and left, I texted the full episode to farmer and heard nothing, tried calling next day and he just hung up after two rings, so guessing if he didn't answer, he's happy with my handling of the situation. I've been shooting for him for 3/4 years now, never had bother before so guessing he's just busy and happy for me to carry on.......

Most of my farms/estates I do text to say I am there and also I am OFF the ground and the result. One good thing about texts it only takes a glance to decide if it is important.

Other farms I come and go as I wish, most see my Landie anyway,  but I always text to let them know the result of my visit, maybe the next day.  I feel it is only good manners.

I only text any of them if I have had a good day, otherwise I just get  on with it , my lot don't care has they know I will be around  somewhere I have one though who will come and have a quick chat if he hears me shooting , also they know I will text them if I see anything dodgy flytipping etc .

24 minutes ago, JDog said:

It’s only polite to send a text. In your case Simon is too busy to speak to a rabbit shooter no matter how proficient you are.

Your recogniotion of my proficeinecy and sagaciousness is more than enough reward for me JDog....

Looking forward to catching up on 29th......:yahoo: 

If your ground have anything to do with game shooting it is more important to keep in touch with the keeper at this time of the year than the land owner , they wont want you shooting the stubble near any release pens and to protect your shooting you don't want to upset the keeper

I have a free hand till around a couple of weeks time , then I ask where not to go rather than where to go , today I looked at the old pea stubble and it is all but finished as far as shooting any more pigeons off it, so for the next week or so it will be barley stubble's , tomorrow I will ring the keeper to see if there is any field where he don't want me near , one barley stubble field is close to a small lake that will soon be fed for duck so these are the sort of fields I would give a wide berth , better to lose one field than to lose the lot.  

I always text and ask if i can shoot .usually the night before ..i often just get an "ok " .but some times. I get a " yes please do .try over this field " .

And some times he texts me to tell me where the birds are and can i shoot em ..

He trusts my mate and i and we get first dibs on the land and shooting .mainly cos we are out there come rain or shine all year. 

Edited by Ultrastu

If you are new on that particular perm then yes to be on the safe side by all means give him a ring or text when you go, but farmers are very busy people at this time of the year and some of them wont be to happy keep stopping to answer the phone.

One reason I no longer look around for other places to shoot pigeons is to show my face regular on the places I have got , the only time I would contact them is , any problems I come across like fly tipping , cattle out or if I change my motor , oh , and not forgetting a little thank you at Christmas. 

Always give them a bottle at Christmas, goes a long way. I have one permission where I have never met the farmer, got him as a contact through another farmer shot there for the last  2 years, just send him a text, always get the reply, ok happy shooting.

11 hours ago, Wooder said:

Always give them a bottle at Christmas, goes a long way. I have one permission where I have never met the farmer, got him as a contact through another farmer shot there for the last  2 years, just send him a text, always get the reply, ok happy shooting.

Agree with you there, bottles are always delivered just before or just after xmas depedning where I'm working....particular farmer I shoot fot, 4 out of 5 of my perms, he farms 4 of them hence I don't want to upset him :good:

4 hours ago, lloydi73 said:

Agree with you there, bottles are always delivered just before or just after xmas depedning where I'm working....particular farmer I shoot fot, 4 out of 5 of my perms, he farms 4 of them hence I don't want to upset him :good:

Prevention is better than cure , if in doubt give him a shout , then ask him if he needs to know when you go .

4 hours ago, lloydi73 said:

And how did you get so lucky with those excellent permissions?

My permission owners always get a call or a text before I shoot. I see it as the proper way of going about the job.

Shooting on one perm (East side of a small local village) last week when I got a text that read "Are you out? I can hear bangs!"

It was from a farmer whose land I shoot on the West of the village. I let him know it was me and where I was and all was well. No other gun-shots could be heard in the area (not by me anyway) so I knew he was hearing my shots and wondering if someone else was on his land.

At the moment though, the landowners seem to call me as often as I call them, letting me know what's going on where and when so I can plan my trips accordingly.

I have one farm where you ring as soon as you go into their land, I have to go up the drive and past the manager's house to reach the fields. I woke him too early one time so can now get on the land and then phone around 8.30. Another farmer rarely returns my texts when I'm out, I assume he sees it's me and sees no reason to respond. Another is my landlord and I sometimes see him a day or two before I'm going shooting and let him know I'll be out. He has told me off bird activity a couple times, but I've never had any land owners contact me to get rid of birds? Maybe they know how crapp a shot I am?

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/07/2018 at 20:34, marsh man said:

If you are new on that particular perm then yes to be on the safe side by all means give him a ring or text when you go, but farmers are very busy people at this time of the year and some of them wont be to happy keep stopping to answer the phone.

One reason I no longer look around for other places to shoot pigeons is to show my face regular on the places I have got , the only time I would contact them is , any problems I come across like fly tipping , cattle out or if I change my motor , oh , and not forgetting a little thank you at Christmas. 

This is what I do. To be fair, I'm usually there when they've gone to bed and gone before they get up on a few of them. One of them got a nice surprise on Thursday when I said hello sat in a bush whilst he was putting the cows out lol