O2 bottle to fill pcp?

lopylui

1 minute ago, lopylui said:

I have a oxygen bottle with a rating of up to 300 bar with the standard valve on top, could it be used to charge a pcp with n different valve system since its not a dive bottle?

hello, post some photos lopylui, but if states on bottle 300 bar i cannot see a problem, by standard regulator is there no guage showing bar numbers

hello, we normally associate filling a  pcp air rifle with a divers bottle breathing air, normally 300 BAR, the Oxygen bottle in photo to be honest i am not sure so maybe a more learned PW member can say,  the regulater need not have a guage as long as there is one on the PCP rifle to not overfill, you could ask at an air rifle shop or dive centre

There’s a difference fitting on the o2 bottle to STOP you using it for a reason 

oxygen explodes under compression although the bottle maybe capable of holding the pressure messing with the valves is not a good thing as you have a 300 bar oxygen bottle with a air valve that no one will charge 

best plan get a proper bottle 

mall the best 

of 

7 minutes ago, lopylui said:

On another note the valve dosent want to turn at all, iv sprayed with wd40 and had grips on it but it just waint budge...

Any wisdom?

Under NO circumstances should you use oil or grease on OXYGEN fittings or valves.

Under NO circumstances should you attempt to fill a PCP rifle with OXYGEN.

Elevated levels of Oxygen enhance combustion.  Read up on the Dieseling effect and see the results of those who failed to heed sound advise.

webber

Edited by webber

I would ring the local cylinder tester and ask their opinion. I would guess (Guess) that the whole valve assembly would have to be replaced and the cylinder put into test and repainted to comply with refilling regulations. The last time I took a cylinder with a damaged valve it cost me around £120 to get all the above done. I would think that this would only be worth it, if like me you run a range and refill a lot of PCP rifles when volume comes into play. Costs the same to refill a large cylinder as a small one where I am. The main thing here would be whether or not the oxygen cylinder has the same thread size as a diving air cylinder, I remember when "on the tools" the gas board had "B-s-ard" threads to stop their stuff being used on other than their own equipment and I am sure that this could/would be the case with other dangerous gas cylinders. Is the valve you have a leftie and the more you try to open it the more you force it closed? Not trying to set my self up on this,  just asking the question as I don`t know in this particular case.

Edited by Flyboy1950
The correct term was automatically edited to ******

2 hours ago, webber said:

Under NO circumstances should you use oil or grease on OXYGEN fittings or valves.

Under NO circumstances should you attempt to fill a PCP rifle with OXYGEN.

Elevated levels of Oxygen enhance combustion.  Read up on the Dieseling effect and see the results of those who failed to heed sound advise.

webber

I will second Webber's comments  -  I have seen the result when someone accidentally drove a greased self drilling screw into a medical oxygen pipe  -  it was nasty.

6 hours ago, lopylui said:

Hopefully you can see the valve betterin these. Ill get some propper pictures of mine in the morning.

gas-cylinders-containing-oxygen-england-uk-CCB1PG.jpg

gas-cylinders-containing-oxygen-england-uk-CCB1TN.jpg

I'm not sure that you have understood the gravity of the information you have been given.

I can tell you exactly what the thread is in the cylinder valve, just by looking at your basic pictures.

i own and run a cylinder gas company.

I really do know chapter and verse what I am talking about.

If you can't take note of sound advise, shame on you, and good luck, as you are seriously unlikely to walk away from your error of judgement.

webber

2 hours ago, webber said:

I'm not sure that you have understood the gravity of the information you have been given.

I can tell you exactly what the thread is in the cylinder valve, just by looking at your basic pictures.

i own and run a cylinder gas company.

I really do know chapter and verse what I am talking about.

If you can't take note of sound advise, shame on you, and good luck, as you are seriously unlikely to walk away from your error of judgement.

webber

I think you have missed some of what has been said, ignore the title of the thread thats irrelevant now.

I dont want to completely remove the valve assembly, just free up the hand screw. 

It will be used in an oxy-fuel setup.

I know the danger involved with pressurised cylinders and fully understand what your telling me.

Screenshot_20180718-084829_Gallery.jpg