Vectan prices USA vs UK

It may be of interest to those reloaders in the UK who use Vectan powders that Vectan powders were on sale at 10$ US ( yes, TEN dollars) per can at a Washington State Shoot last weekend. How is that?

The last can of AO - and it will be the last I buy of that brand powder - just 3 months ago - cost £38. Now go figure that out.

We won't be leaving the EU?

Plus we won't believing the EU, this surely is Rip Off the British people .

Could some one please explain the economics of being a member of the EU and the amount we British pay for the privelage?

We are an Island and I think we should isolate ourselves from EU and be able to free trade , bring back the British Empire and let's find our backbone.

Edited by Salopian

Well in the oldendays we were pretty self sufficient, and then came along someone that thought it would be a good idea to open some trade deal with Europe, thats when it went boobs up.

Someone had a thought. 

Moral of the story "keep your thoughts to yourself" and what seems a good idea at the time ? Well- - - - - - - -  it probably isn't a good idea after all.  

The regulations are only part of the story we here in the UK have been groomed for years to accept high propellant prices, we are not in a position to exert any pressure on the cartridge manufacturers who used to release powders routinely two account holders.

As far as I know Express distribute vectan powders in the UK even 10 years ago they were keeping their grip firmly on pricing and I don't think it is in their best interests to sell powder over here cheap where in the UK will never ever see powder as cheap as the USA those controlling it will make doubly sure of that. 

The UK importer ******** it up for reloaders by stopping dealers from buying 20kg tubs and decanting it into smaller containers. They effectively doubled the price by only allowing their own 0.5kg pots to be sold. Now it's just not viable to buy at all but this is of little consequence to them as they were never interested in supplying reloaders in the first place but it was part of their obligation as importer so they had to. Their business is commercial cartridge production and that is where they make their money, not from a few kg of powder sold to us.

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

You’ve not purchased in France then ! Cost me more than I can buy here and that’s for cheapo PPU type stuff too

No but I was in a sport shop in Florida a couple of weeks back looking at PPU and S&B ammo on their shelves at way lower prices than we pay.  

So, it would appear that the traders within a Non-EU partner (USA), without a trade treaty with EU, can shoulder the charges of importation, transportation, and add their costs and profit margins, then sell it at a substantially lower price, than ....a EU member can do the same, albeit within a "tariff free" trading zone where the goods are obtained from a "partner" and all meet a common standard of quality, blah,blah....and with much smaller transportation costs (based on distance).???

2 hours ago, harkom said:

So, it would appear that the traders within a Non-EU partner (USA), without a trade treaty with EU, can shoulder the charges of importation, transportation, and add their costs and profit margins, then sell it at a substantially lower price, than ....a EU member can do the same, albeit within a "tariff free" trading zone where the goods are obtained from a "partner" and all meet a common standard of quality, blah,blah....and with much smaller transportation costs (based on distance).???

Could also be Economies of Scale! 

Huge North American market for reloading components hence possibly the reason for some low prices? 

10 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Huge North American market for reloading components hence possibly the reason for some low prices? 

Plus the Americans don't pay 20% vat. We accept VAT today as a fact of life but it was introduced in 1973 at 10% when we joined the EEC to pay our subscription. And it was a condition of us joining!

Edited by Vince Green

This almost wholly down to the cartridge manufacturers, determined to keep their grip on cartridge prices! They do not want reloaders!

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

No VAT, but don’t they have to pay both ‘State’ sales tax and ‘Local’ sales tax whic his set at differing amount depending on the local Authority!

Yes, they do. The large number of reloaders Stateside, plus the greater availability of powders from  more manufacturers, gives them buying power!  Here, reloading is seen as a minority  hobby, so they sting you for it!

20 hours ago, Jaymo said:

If you accept the Economy of Scale theory across a broader spectrum, I don't think that holds true - e.g. Pharmaceuticals.  The prices of these to the consumer, both the individual and the NHS have sky-rocketed over the last decade and more. The drug Leo-Thyronine used by those with thyroid function deficit - a 6000% increase over time ( yes, six thousand ) - seems an inordinate rise, and hence why it is no longer regularly prescribed by NHS. Many other drugs in same category e.g. manufactured in the UK but retailed through EU based companies - and not infrequently the same drugs are unavailable in UK due to "manufacturing problem/shortage". Ok Ok I know we seem to have wandered off-line on this topic, but for all those who believe in the "Common Market" in theory and ideology...you better think again !