WW2 home guard ball cartridges.

7 minutes ago, mecman said:

Do not shoot them in any gun especially in a gun with any choke if you do you will be looking for a new set of barrels or worse.

No, they are safe,  they were made to go through any shotgun. They were issued to farmers etc. The ball is way undersize. Back in the 60s there were lots of them around, I should think that's where these came from. You could definitely buy them very easily, no need for an FAC back then, and the ministry of agriculture would give you free cartridges to go rabbit shooting too.

Edited by Vince Green

So basically anything with a solid slug should now be held on FAC, I have been collecting cartridges for donkeys years and had to put all my solid slug carts on my FAC to keep legal, luckily I already had a FAC, so send me a pic of what you have and I will let you know if worth anything or you will have to cut out the slug and dispose of them, most of what I come across are fairly common war dept home guard carts and worth nothing but sometimes the box is worth more than what is inside - depends on labels on box etc, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dipper said:

Had some home  train guard cartridges somone gave me years ago.Cut one open they measured 680 so will go through a full choke .They were intended to be used in a standard shot gun .

Most of these Home Guard cartridges have the arrow on the case and were loaded with SSG shot , LG shot and round balll

Feltwad

Yep,  I was crazy back in the late 40s early 50s and fired lots of that old Home Guard stuff through my grandfathers 12 gauge BSA boxlock which still sits in my gun safe today BUT better safe than sorry.  I'm out of date in my reckoning but what is the maximum  number of shot which makes it FAC..I think it used to be five but may be wrong.  If anyone remembers the double egg cases...20 dozen I believe, well an ex Home Guard Officer dropped one of those at the farm in about 1949/50 and it was full of 22RF mostly Winchester and boxes of 12 gauge BBs but some bird shot 4s and 5s.  

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

but what is the maximum  number of shot which makes it FAC..I think it used to be five but may be wrong

Correct.

See extract from Firearms Guidance 2016 below:

A shotgun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges containing
five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges
are covered by this description. However, a shotgun certificate (or firearm certificate
authorising possession of a section 1 shotgun) is normally required to purchase shotgun
cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or
projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate.