Clays to game

Greathalf

Hi all,

I have spent some time with the search function but don’t seem to find an answer to my question, but I apologise if this has already been asked.

I am curious to know how different wild pigeons are to shot, In comparison to a normal automatic clay? 

Thanks

Wow .there is absolutley no comparison at all .

Not even sure why they are called clay pigeons .

Clay pheasants would be better at least pheasants some times fly in straight lines like clays do .

A real pigeon must be the hardest bird to hit. .if on the wind the can jink and dive .rise and twist all in the space of 5 meters.. 

Then some times they flutter down nice as pie and sit on your decoys waiting for you to fire .

Thank you

I did suspect they would be vastly different, 

I’ve watched  them dive and twitch with such ease which is something I guess with time you get better with, 

just trying to gauge if I would be successful decoying 

Edited by Greathalf

11 minutes ago, Greathalf said:

Thank you

I did suspect they would be vastly different, 

they may be different....but shooting clays...teaches you tecknic....how to move and swing.....having said that shooting off your knees or sitting down witha half eaten sandwich in your mouth...or what is very popular shooting with your willy out draining the lizard...are different styles of shooting....which will become natural over time...(a loooonnnngggg period of time)

good luck:lol:

Ultrastu,

They are called 'clay pigeons'  because they were the follow on to live pigeon shooting. The first artificial targets were glass balls and then eventually onto a mixture of clay and pitch, producing what is, today's clay targets. Have a look at something called 'Helice' on You Tube. That is a target fitted with a plastic wing, to represent the flight path of a live pigeon.  

Edited by Westley

34 minutes ago, Greathalf said:

Hi all,

I have spent some time with the search function but don’t seem to find an answer to my question, but I apologise if this has already been asked.

I am curious to know how different wild pigeons are to shot, In comparison to a normal automatic clay? 

Thanks

Clays don't get my adrenalin going 

You can get a clay coming at you but never twisting and swooping like a woodie looking for the best place to land PLUS clays do not accelerate, woodies can and do with apparent ease.

I shoot a lot of 'game birds' and have shot quail, but in my opinion non are as sporting as a woodie, flighting to decoys or to a roost.  No comparison.

23 minutes ago, HIDENSEEK said:

Clays don't get my adrenalin going 

I have shot far more of both than I care to remember and I would suggest that flighting or roosting pigeon shooting can be really exciting. I can not realistically say the same for pigeons shot over my decoys. If I have got my set up right, most of my first barrel kills are within a 30 foot circle of the pattern centre. There will be outlying second or even third barrel shots, yes, but they are fewer than in the central area. My pigeon shooting is either a solitary sport, or at the most, with1 trusted companion. My clay shooting on the other hand, is usually done in a group of at least 3 but more usually 5 or 6 and is a far more jovial affair, which includes lunch. That is not to say it is non-competitive, but it is a bit more enjoyable.

Edited by Westley

Clay Pheasants is indeed a better description. They tend to fly in straight (or straight-ish) lines. You know where they are coming from and where they are going. They rarely change speed much during their 'in range' period and you have to pay for the ruddy things whether you hit them or not. Also, I'm yet to find a recipe for either that makes them appealing to me.

The real things swoop, dive, twist, turn and climb, Jinking on the wind and suddenly 'not being there anymore' in a way that no clay will ever be able to emulate until we start shooting at radio controlled drones. Learning to shoot them whilst holding half a sarni in your mouth or balancing most of a cuppa on your knee, or with your 'littlest weapon' hanging out mid-piddle is also frowned upon at most respectable clay grounds, but all are perfectly feasible (and half expected in some company) whilst hiding in a ditch or a hedge far from the madding crowds.

1 hour ago, stevo said:

Not at £60 for 24 targets it’s NOT thats if you go comp. and you be waiting around most of the day.  Oh and there only 3 places that do it ! Apart from that it’s great ?

On the plus side though, the entries are always  very poor, so you could make a name for yourself  !   After all,  clays are so easy   !      :whistling:

Edited by Westley

Guest stevo
44 minutes ago, Westley said:

On the plus side though, the entries are always  very poor, so you could make a name for yourself  !   After all,  clays are so easy   !      

Haha your not wrong there mucker ?

there is a lot similar properties with clays and pigeon game etc, in the fact you have to judge distance and speed swing the gun in front find the correct lead and fire, you are shooting a moving target in both cases clays are good practice for the real stuff keeps you sharp and on point  but I agree clays just don't get the adrenline going like shooting pigeons and  game does,  I only shoot clays when there is absolutely no pigeons on our land to go at certain times of year  

Guest stevo

The bit that most people can’t get there head around is the fact a clay target from the moment it leaves the trap is slowing down , 

pigeons are normally at a constant speed , until you fire then there speeding up .