First Stubble Outing

Clodhopper

Having not been out for 5 weeks I jumped at the chance when JDog enquiried if I would like to join him on some Barley stubble this afternoon. For a change there was a covering of cloud and a stiff Westerly. 

We met in the gateway to the field and observed 2 lines coming into the field from some woods a long way in the distance. The birds were dropping at the eastern end of the field which would mean the wind would be in our faces and was the opposite end to where my companion had seen them the day before. We really did not want to set up here as decoying them would be difficult but this is where they seemed to want to be. So off we went, putting around 100 birds off the stubble as we went.

We set up with about 20 plastic decoys and a flapper and set them up around 35 yards out to try and give the birds room to swing in. This did not work as the birds showed interest but could not manoeuvre from the great height they were approaching at and get into the pattern. After around 30 mins and only 2 pigeons, and 1 unlucky crow, we decided to up sticks and move to the other end of the field. 

By the time we had set up again it was gone 4.30 pm. We were now getting birds head straight towards us and our pattern which now had magnet as well. We soon brought this in as the birds veered away, the  flapper went the same way leaving plastic and dead birds as the attractant. 

Throughout all of this we had added the odd bird and decided we would be very happy if we finished with 20 as we had made a mess of it so far. 

Some birds decoyed as though on rails and others just skirted the pattern with occasional one paying the price. 

Shortly after 7 pm JDog dropped a storming crosser after which we decided to call it a day.

The final count was 23 picked, with about 4 more fallen which we could not pick. 

Although not a remarkable bag, for me it was just nice to be out in the field again and getting some sport.

Special mention must go to Jasper who has been out of action for the same length of time as me but showed no rusty ness in collecting the fallen birds.

Unfortunately I am having trouble with the photo so will post later.

i had the same yesterday morning on some barley stubble they wernt using this field but crossing it to get to 4 large rape fields in the distance set up under the flight line with the wind in my face not ideal but this is where they were crossing started with 20 enforcer full bodied and 2 floaters and the whirly birds were comeing for a look but flareing of so brought the whirly in and instant response birds were decoying but still struggling to get into the pattern in the end I moved the whole pattern around 50-60yrd out this allowed the birds enough room to swing round straight infront of the hide resulting in 49 for a couple of hours shooting

A big part of the enjoyment for me is getting the right set up in the right place, whether it be a grand twirling affair with a large pattern or simply being tucked in a hedge on a windy day under a flight line. Thanks for the replies, always good to hear others views on things.

And PC enjoy that beer, I imagine there are lots of pigeon south of brum also relaxing whilst the deadly duo are off duty.

Shooting a decent bag off barley stubble can be difficult when there are so many fields that are now cut , one good thing is they can bale up quicker than they can get them off .

Having said that ( and some of you might disagree ) shooting pigeons on barley stubble can often be the easiest form of pigeon decoying , yesterday and today I have been on baled stubble fields.

Yesterday was slightly harder because the pigeons wanted to go on the rape ( which was being cut when I was on my way home tonight ) and a lot of them didn't want to know .

Today I went on a different field that was cut and baled last week , thank god ( not ditchmans one ) I am still strong enough to push a bale around to block the wind out , no magnet , just two floaters , one each end and around 20 decoys , shells laying on top of the stubble and full body on cradles , when a pigeon come in it seem to hover for a split second looking for somewhere to land , on these shots its a case of getting your timing right and fire straight at it , also when more than one come in its often a case when one is shot the others don't know where the shot had come from and often carry on flying towards you giving a fairly simple right and left 

I find three hours shooting is long enough and it don't any harm letting the late ones feed undisturbed and with a bit of luck you might be able to get some more shooting in a weeks time.

So my vote is , Barley stubble from a bale hide is the easiest form of decoying , What do you think and do you agree or disagree ?

hello, it was much better 40 plus years ago when you could rustle up a hide with some small bales,  chuck a few rubber deeks out,  a flapper on a stick and some pegged on the bales, and see plenty of pigeons, now its cut baled a gone in a day, ploughed the next, and all to see 2 pigeon like happen a few days ago, happy days

Edited by oldypigeonpopper