Using satellite images

SG1988

Hi All, 

Has anyone had luck using a program such as Google maps to identify potential arable land that could possibly be a spot for woodies?

Im trying to find any oppertunities near me in the Andover area. My plan was to use google maps to find an area, do some reconnaissance and see if there is any activity and if all looks good, go knocking on the nearest door.

Is there a way find out what crops are grown near you other than asking so you could at least narrow down your search?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached an image of what looks like potential area, or could i be wasting my time?

Screenshot_20180717-211435_Maps.jpg

Maps would be handy once you have got the go ahead , but I don't think they would be much help to tell you what crops and any potential flight lines.

Going around the area where you hope to gain any permission is best done in your motor with a pair of binoculars , first find the pigeons , find out what crop they are feeding on and then find the owner , estate manager , farm manager or game keeper , they can , or they will put you in touch who can give you permission , be prepared for a few knocks but keep trying , you will need to be quick while the crops are still in the ground as once they are out they are less keen to let a stranger go on the stubble's as the game season start approaching .

If it's any help, I often use Google Earth in conjunction with the Met Office weather forecast (for wind strength and direction) to determine in advance which field,hedgerow, ditch etc will be favourable to set up, having already assessed flightlines to and from any particular field. Of course it won't show current crops but is still a useful general guide, prior to a final assessment/reconnaissance on the day. 

If you are not familiar with the area that you intend to shoot, it will of course help in pinpointing any roosting woods, but reconnaissance is really the answer. It stands to reason that familiarity and knowledge of the cropping cycles will also be of great benefit.

In short, Google can be used as an aide, but nothing will equal a good pair of binoculars and plenty of use in my opinion.

OB

Sorry, was typing reply when Marsh man gave a more concise response than mine

Edited by Old Boggy

I do exactly the same as Old Boggy, I print off the map of a permission using Google earth, then get the weather forcast with particular attention to the wind direction, then I can see on the map where the best areas for setting up would be before I actually drive out, then its fingers crossed the birds are still there !!!?

2 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

If it's any help, I often use Google Earth in conjunction with the Met Office weather forecast (for wind strength and direction) to determine in advance which field,hedgerow, ditch etc will be favourable to set up, having already assessed flightlines to and from any particular field. Of course it won't show current crops but is still a useful general guide, prior to a final assessment/reconnaissance on the day. 

If you are not familiar with the area that you intend to shoot, it will of course help in pinpointing any roosting woods, but reconnaissance is really the answer. It stands to reason that familiarity and knowledge of the cropping cycles will also be of great benefit.

In short, Google can be used as an aide, but nothing will equal a good pair of binoculars and plenty of use in my opinion.

OB

This Google earth is all new to me and I dare say if I had access to it years ago I would have used it to mark crops and boundaries .

When I first started to get a few permissions I used to draw a plan of the pea fields and mark North , South , East and West on the edge of the field , then on a Friday night I would look at the weather and I would know what field I would go on by the wind direction .  

4 minutes ago, SG1988 said:

Thanks boggy, and further to your reply, no one knows how old sat images are. I understand farmers may change their crops each year so it probably isnt that reliable.

SG

Farmers' crops will change each year. It is called rotation.

9 minutes ago, motty said:

Farmers' crops will change each year. It is called rotation.

It does make you wonder when Brexit is 'finally' executed, what will be grown, as presumably farmers won't have to grow at least 3 crops as currently under EU rules.

Could be a double edged sword.

OB

Google maps has helped me track flight lines to and from my perms, and even provided 'ammunition' when looking for new perms where I've been able to tell the landowner that I am regularly seeing rooks flighting from their land after roosting there etc etc. Being able to accurately plot lines across the land and beyond the horizon will often tell you where birds are roosting or feeding and set you up with useful info when looking for extra land to shoot over.