Peg Poke

deny essex

Coming up to that time after harvest when the ground goes near as hard as concrete in dry weather especially our Essex clay rich soil.

Decoy pegs have difficulty getting any depth and hold , just sorting my gear and found my peg poke for making pre holes for pegs n equipment .

I know screw drivers can be used but if dropped or lost in crop no favours from the farmer with broken machinery or a screw driver stuck in his back thrown up by machinery.

Made of dowel or part broom handle , all wood ,coloured marked for easy find and will degrade or get split up by machinery if lost.

peg poke.jpg

On 18/07/2018 at 11:29, deny essex said:

Coming up to that time after harvest when the ground goes near as hard as concrete in dry weather especially our Essex clay rich soil.

Decoy pegs have difficulty getting any depth and hold , just sorting my gear and found my peg poke for making pre holes for pegs n equipment .

I know screw drivers can be used but if dropped or lost in crop no favours from the farmer with broken machinery or a screw driver stuck in his back thrown up by machinery.

Made of dowel or part broom handle , all wood ,coloured marked for easy find and will degrade or get split up by machinery if lost.

peg poke.jpg

Good idea and light to carry , I dare say would work in normal conditions , but at the moment we are not in normal conditions , yesterday I tried to push some wire cradles in the ground , some I did get in by looking for some cracks in the hard baked soil , the rest I couldn't get in , so without trying your idea I cant say weather it would be man enough , but down the marsh where the land got wet in the Winter it is now like concrete and I don't think you would be able to push that piece of dowel in the ground ,  

On 23/07/2018 at 08:09, deny essex said:

Making a pneumatic one ATM :)

What about a cordless drill or a long cork screw , my carpenter skills might not be as good as yours but i would be a bit worried if i pushed it to hard , breaking the handle and the top of the dowel going through my hand , so i will stick to my trusty hammer and chisel ?

If its that dry and hard a cordless drill with a 10mm drill bit sounds the answer to me for some of the Essex land, the wood one obviously would have trouble in concrete hard ground but I work it down any cracks I can find.   

After that statement I can see me shooting solo for a long time   ??

On 24/07/2018 at 13:29, deny essex said:

If its that dry and hard a cordless drill with a 10mm drill bit sounds the answer to me for some of the Essex land, the wood one obviously would have trouble in concrete hard ground but I work it down any cracks I can find.   

After that statement I can see me shooting solo for a long time   ??

You naughty boy Denny !!