Vegan in the family

BritishShooting

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just provide a bowl of dust. I believe vegans find it very tasty! 

I find most vegans unpleasant. Very opinionated. I own a Tesla and a high percentage of Tesla owners appear to be vegans because apparently the biggest cause of climate change is the co2 emmison caused by raising animals to eat. I couldn’t give a toss. Meat tastes good. 

I find this hilarious! The problem is theirs, not yours! To cater to everyones dietary needs at a function is totally impractical. Their will be those there who don't like veg'; kids for instance ....are you going to cater to their needs or will they just be expected to leave what they don't like on the side of their plates? There will be some there who don't like pork, or beef, or fish; are you going to cater to their needs or will they just be expected to leave what they don't like on the side of their plates? Why are the vegans so special that their needs to be catered to but no one elses? Will the cake and bread be gluten free? Will the drinks be sugar free? Like I said; the problem is theirs, not yours. The day is yours, enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, ferguson_tom said:

Regardless of your views compared to his he is a guest at your wedding and you should cater for him accordingly.  As you have said already the cost is immaterial so why work yourself up about it? 

What have you got to gain by not doing so apart from forcing your own principles on someone.....the very same thing that annoys you about most vegans.

+1

My opinion is he's your guest and for that reason you should humour his choice, especially since it sounds like you've pre judged him, he might not push his opinions on others.

More importantly though, if you value tour relationship with your sister, you'll humour him for her.

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

I find this hilarious! The problem is theirs, not yours! To cater to everyones dietary needs at a function is totally impractical. Their will be those there who don't like veg'; kids for instance ....are you going to cater to their needs or will they just be expected to leave what they don't like on the side of their plates? There will be some there who don't like pork, or beef, or fish; are you going to cater to their needs or will they just be expected to leave what they don't like on the side of their plates? Why are the vegans so special that their needs to be catered to but no one elses? Will the cake and bread be gluten free? Will the drinks be sugar free? Like I said; the problem is theirs, not yours. The day is yours, enjoy it. 

Quite a big difference between not liking something and having an absolute moral conviction about something. In this situation, it looks like one (possibly two) meal to make a very important person happy. Not so much to ask, is it? Plus I've been to a fair few weddings where weeks in advance you have a menu choice to make. it's not difficult and doesn't make it any more stressful because the choices are made so far in advance. 

People on here saying they can't understand veganism, that their lost on it. I'm not sure why, it's just a personal conviction - and we all have those and we all want them to be respected. 

At Christmas dinner (sitting 14 places) we had to cater for one vegan niece, and one vegetarian niece.  Different things (apparently).  The other 12 of us ate everything.

Vegan niece got married this year; she is also tea-total, so we had a vegan and tea-total wedding reception - everyone had to fit in with their tastes.  Whilst an enjoyable family occasion - in my view it would have been better if they had offered both 'normal' and vegan choices.

My cousin had a ruby wedding party - no vegan food on offer - they did cater for vegetarian in addition to meat, (fish and cheese items) but not vegan.  I don't know what my vegan niece was eating (if anything)m as I was too busy enjoying the excellent meaty menu!

Anyone who comes to my home for an evening meal and turns out to be a veggie or vegam has to eat what suits them. I do not ever go out of my way to accomodate these people, there will be plenty of vegetables and potatoes and fruit so that is all they need to survive. Knowing who I am likely to ivite then the conversation will revolve around the countryside, killing squirrels etc., if they don't like the atmosphere then they have to leave. Period.   My wife suggested to a nice guy at the opposite end of the village that he and his wife come for supper one night. He said, " Oh, she is vegan". My wife replied, " Well that's put the stopper on that then ".

Back to your 'delema' ..It is your day, do what you two wish to do and ....well I was going to say the devil takes the hindmost but that might be a bit strong, but you know what i mean......

..... I HOPE.

2 hours ago, Zapp said:

Sounds like your approach is more likely to cause ill feeling than his. 

Why not just extend a friendly hand and accommodate him if only to try to get off to a good start?  You may end up finding him ok rather than making assumptions and causing pointless drama.

This. Don’t judge until you meet the guy

33 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite a big difference between not liking something and having an absolute moral conviction about something. In this situation, it looks like one (possibly two) meal to make a very important person happy. Not so much to ask, is it? Plus I've been to a fair few weddings where weeks in advance you have a menu choice to make. it's not difficult and doesn't make it any more stressful because the choices are made so far in advance. 

People on here saying they can't understand veganism, that their lost on it. I'm not sure why, it's just a personal conviction - and we all have those and we all want them to be respected. 

I have nothing against vegans at all, because in my experience most return to a meat diet at some time in their lives; more a lifestyle choice than a moral conviction. But, if roles are reversed and this lad eventually marries the OP's daughter at some time in the future, will they be catering for the meat eaters at that reception?

I've been to functions where the vegetarian hosts have insisted no meat is eaten; I just got on with it and ate vegetarian; it's not like the OP is forcing these two to eat meat...they can just choose not to eat it. Simple. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

I have nothing against vegans at all, because in my experience most return to a meat diet at some time in their lives; more a lifestyle choice than a moral conviction. But, if roles are reversed and this lad eventually marries the OP's daughter at some time in the future, will they be catering for the meat eaters at that reception?

I've been to functions where the vegetarian hosts have insisted no meat is eaten; I just got on with it and ate vegetarian; it's not like the OP is forcing these two to eat meat...they can just choose not to eat it. Simple. 

Probably not, but then why play to the tune of the lowest common denominator? Be better than them. 

3 hours ago, Zapp said:

Sounds like your approach is more likely to cause ill feeling than his. 

Why not just extend a friendly hand and accommodate him if only to try to get off to a good start?  You may end up finding him ok rather than making assumptions and causing pointless drama.

think zapp is spot on,

i installed a very expensive 3 group commercial coffee machine in a vegan cafe in hebden bridge, after installing the machine i had to train four young ladys how to make good coffee, can you imagine there face wen I produced eight pints of semi skimd milk and 1kg of gaggia beans, how they laughed have you ever tryed to frothed almond, oat.and soya milk, i pass the cafe every nite on my way home it's all way packed but there again it's hebden bridge

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Typical extremists, because that is what they are! They expect everyone to make concessions for them, but they ain't prepared to reciprocate!.......It's "their way or no way"

I'm not meaning to pick on your post, as to be honest some are in my opinion what can only be described as extremists, however, reading this thread, most on here seem to have the exact same opinion, if it was their wedding, they wouldn't cater for a vegan, yet they also moan that they likely wouldn't be catered for, my feeling on this situation is just be the bigger person, if not for the guest, then for the ops sister.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

His sister might be in a bit of a strop ???

Reminds me of the time I was in college and one of the lads asked the local snap wagon if they got anything veggie. His response was “yeah, water” 

In all honesty if it was me I’d just put a plate of lentils infront of him or whatever they eat just to be accommodating etc. You never know he might be a nice bloke, could even turn him to the dark side and save your sis! 

27 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'm not meaning to pick on your post, as to be honest some are in my opinion what can only be described as extremists, however, reading this thread, most on here seem to have the exact same opinion, if it was their wedding, they wouldn't cater for a vegan, yet they also moan that they likely wouldn't be catered for, my feeling on this situation is just be the bigger person, if not for the guest, then for the ops sister.

The Vegan diet is Extreme! So vegans are extremist!.......will you be the bigger person when extremist antis like Packham attack your sport/way of life?

Why don't you just invite the pair of them round, stick a load of roast veg in the oven, sit down and enjoy a meal and a chat with them, get to know the bloke. 

I personally find nothing wrong with enjoying a veggie meal now and then, they're just as tasty! 

My sister is a vegan, I always make sure I make something she can eat when she comes round, why, because she's my little sister! 

2 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Why don't you just invite the pair of them round, stick a load of roast veg in the oven, sit down and enjoy a meal and a chat with them, get to know the bloke. 

I personally find nothing wrong with enjoying a veggie meal now and then, they're just as tasty! 

My sister is a vegan, I always make sure I make something she can eat when she comes round, why, because she's my little sister! 

If she cooks you a steak when you visit her......that sounds reasonable!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The Vegan diet is Extreme! So vegans are extremist!.......will you be the bigger person when extremist antis like Packham attack your sport/way of life?

I know where your coming from and your right, extremist antis are scum, I think my point is he should get the benefit of the doubt until he deserves otherwise, after all he's with the ops sister.