Tomorrow in Northamptonshire

Naeem

A couple of bits of advice from me. Don't expect too much activity if you're going early. You are more likely to get the bulk of the action after midday. So, give the birds time to come out.

Try to pinpoint the best place on the field to decoy. If that happens to be the middle, then so be it.

Thanks all for very useful tips and advice ?

34 minutes ago, motty said:

A couple of bits of advice from me. Don't expect too much activity if you're going early. You are more likely to get the bulk of the action after midday. So, give the birds time to come out.

Try to pinpoint the best place on the field to decoy. If that happens to be the middle, then so be it.

Thanks Motty ? 

When you say ( we ) how many are going ?, are you or the person you are going with going to set the decoy pattern out ? , are you all novices ? , are the fields cut and if so have the barley field got bales on , it might pay to give out a few more details about weather you are being guided or not .

Depending on what experience you have got between you , I would watch the intended field , walk any pigeons off and wait till any come back to see where you intend to set up , and try and avoid looking into the strong sunlight .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

When you say ( we ) how many are going ?, are you or the person you are going with going to set the decoy pattern out ? , are you all novices ? , are the fields cut and if so have the barley field got bales on , it might pay to give out a few more details about weather you are being guided or not .

Depending on what experience you have got between you , I would watch the intended field , walk any pigeons off and wait till any come back to see where you intend to set up , and try and avoid looking into the strong sunlight .

We are 2, my friend has much more experience than me but seeing you guys here, we don't come even close ?

thanks for the important advice ?

2 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Take a pair of binoculars and dont rush to get started, as motty stated try and locate where the birds want to be and get yourself as near to incoming traffic and their chosen spot as you can. Still not.guarantee though.

Thank you ?

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, your right, sincere apologies to our new forum member,  just have a good day and let us know how you get on?

Not a problem my friend, i have packed a repellent so thank you for the advice ?

Hi Folks,

It was a great day for us as we didn't expect many but we ended up with 70 birds in hand and about 5 to 6 were lost in the bushes.

To start with it was slow as we got there around 10:30 and it took us about an hour to setup the hide and the decoys. Around 1:30pm we had about 8 and we didn't miss a single bird which came our way. So now now we had just enough for couple on the rotary and few to decoy. 

All the fun started around 3pm but we were struggling to decoy them as the birds were not droping as they would normally do. Decoy pattern was a bit of a challenge for us as there was hardly any wind so thats where we struggling a bit on how to deploy them for these birds who didn't like our setup. We still managed to shoot 25ish birds in next couple of hours, had they decoyed more we could have scored many more...

Around 6pm my friend decided to go on the opposite field and left me here on my own as he thought that we could be better of splitting. It worked ! I changed my decoys as well by breaking the U shape into two lines by leaving good 25 yards between them right infron of my hide for the birds to come in and land. This worked and that's where I started to have fun. 

It was a very warm day so fluids were needed aplenty. Yet it was a a very enjoyable day as my new 30" Bretta did a great job ?

Thanks for reading this and for all the tips as they all helped me a lot.

More stories to come... 

Thank you ! 

On 19/07/2018 at 10:00, Longstrider said:

If you miss any, send them over towards Milton Keynes please I'll be in between you and MK this afternoon so will hopefully get to intercept a few of them as they come past.

Let us know how you got on !

Hope you got few as well mate ?