SIARM shipping

3 hours ago, pinfireman said:

My visit to the USA, 2008, I got 1.96 dollars to the pound. And that was tourist rate.   What you fail to mention is that, in many of the countries where prices are high, it,s often due to that countries tax regime! And NOT the exchange rate!  We pay 20% VAT, an EU tax! Once gone, that could be cut! 

Sales tax in the US can and often does exceed ours and our European neighbours VAT (TVA) so I’m afraid that arguements doesn’t hold.

As to it being cut on exit of the EU? Keep on dreaming 

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Sales tax in the US can and often does exceed ours and our European neighbours VAT (TVA) so I’m afraid that arguements doesn’t hold.

As to it being cut on exit of the EU? Keep on dreaming 

Wait & see! As for your sweeping assumptions on states taxes, I have made 6 trips to the USA over the last 10 years, buying items. I have visited 15 states, and have not once found a state tax anywhere near our VAT! And I have the invoices to prove it!

17 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It does indeed vary from State to State plus a Local sales tax can be applied depending on the article in question 

Zero in Oregon, and Montana.In 10 other western states it varies between 2% and 8%...local taxes, where applied, are rarely more than 1.6%.....Makes the European VAT look positively punitive! I can buy B&P wads in the States, bring them home, pay VAT & Customs Duty on arrival, and they are STILL cheaper than buying them here! We are ripped off !

Sorry if I'm being thick here but I can buy 100 cheddite 70 mm hulls primed for anything between 5.95 & 7.20 euros in Italy and is £10.50 at c&g. VAT being paid in the member country doesn't get applied again so...where does that come into play? Or is it the excessive surcharge from dealers to discourage home loading what makes the difference? 

38 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Zero in Oregon, and Montana.In 10 other western states it varies between 2% and 8%...local taxes, where applied, are rarely more than 1.6%.....Makes the European VAT look positively punitive! I can buy B&P wads in the States, bring them home, pay VAT & Customs Duty on arrival, and they are STILL cheaper than buying them here! We are ripped off !

Sorry for my mis information- I eat my hat.

7 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Sorry if I'm being thick here but I can buy 100 cheddite 70 mm hulls primed for anything between 5.95 & 7.20 euros in Italy and is £10.50 at c&g. VAT being paid in the member country doesn't get applied again so...where does that come into play? Or is it the excessive surcharge from dealers to discourage home loading what makes the difference? 

Well, are Cheddite not an Italian brand? Figures they would be cheaper either direct or there as shipping to the UK distributor needs to be factored in plus their dealer mark up?

1 hour ago, Continental Shooter said:

and the VAT in Italy is a whopping 22%....so the answer is yes, we are being ripped off!

48 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

and the VAT in Italy is a whopping 22%....so the answer is yes, we are being ripped off!

Yeah, but 5.95 is inclusive of 22% VAT which I agree is a robbery. So, my problem is more with the £10+ here which is unjustified even factoring in the shipping costs which will make it roughly E 6.95/100 if buying in bulk (i.e 5k+), considering that these are retail prices and not wholesale: that is 7c each not 10p each. If we factor in the wholesale price which is a lot lower, and the commercial shipping (again, considerably lower) I still see the biggest increase is within the UK industry (but I'm happy to be corrected)

Edited by Continental Shooter

2 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Yeah, but 5.95 is inclusive of 22% VAT which I agree is a robbery. So, my problem is more with the £10+ here which is unjustified even factoring in the shipping costs which will make it roughly E 6.95/100 if buying in bulk (i.e 5k+), considering that these are retail prices and not wholesale: that is 7c each not 10p each. If we factor in the wholesale price which is a lot lower, and the commercial shipping (again, considerably lower) I still see the biggest increase is within the UK industry (but I'm happy to be corrected)

Correct.