Gun dealers comision

I am thinking of not renewing my certificate this year as I have not shot since I lost my mobility and cannot see the possibility of shooting again. I was thinking of putting my guns into a gun dealers to sell for me. But what would be a sensible fee that a gun shop would charge to sell my guns for me?

I took an old BRNO 22lr to two gun shops the other day as the mod took a knock and the rifle wouldn't shoot straight with that mod, It was a bit knackered anyways so I just wanted to get rid of it as a good friend passed away and I am going to have his guns.  The shops put it like this.

On a new 22lr CZ they make around £150ish (one of them claimed)... they would only sell the BRNO for around that, so to make it worth while they would have to give almost nothing for it.

If someone walks in wanting to buy a 22lr and they only have the new ones they're likely to see one of those, so I thought fair comment for them to look to make a similar mark-up I suppose. 

You will however get much more selling it yourself privately, but then you obviously have to go through all the fuss of sorting it. If you have time and no issues with the rifle then this is the best way normally. 

Unless you’re part exing I wouldn’t bother. Most dealers in my experience just pick fault ( akin to car dealers ) to achieve minimum pay out and therefore maximum profit. It’s understandable to an extent as they’re running a business.

It would be worth trying here first. 

On 19/07/2018 at 16:36, Scully said:

Unless you’re part exing I wouldn’t bother. Most dealers in my experience just pick fault ( akin to car dealers ) to achieve minimum pay out and therefore maximum profit. It’s understandable to an extent as they’re running a business.

It would be worth trying here first. 

I think the OP was thinking along the lines of asking a dealer to sell the guns on his behalf, and what commission that might attract, as opposed to, selling the guns directly to a dealer.

I do a lot of commission sales; mainly on lower value guns.

I charge 25% plus VAT on the commission.

I have a minimum fee of £50

I pay out after at least one calendar month has expired, just in case a fault develops on the gun and the new owner requires a refund.

I agree a sale price with the vendor based on market research.

I book the gun in, write the sale description, take the photographs and post on Guntrader for sale, and pay the advertising fees for as long as the gun takes to sell.  The do the usual by handling the sale and license paperwork etc.

Some guns /rifles sell quite quickly, others not so.

The likes of Holts charge 25% to both seller and buyer.

I reckon that the average gun take about one hour from start to finish, some take much longer when detailed enquiries are made and dealt with.

Many sales are made remotely, and send via courier to another RFD, whilst the courier fee of £25 is paid for by the purchaser, the cost of packing, time and materials is carried by me.

webber