Guidance required!

Guidance required!

So first off I’d like to say “wow” it’s so hard to get into shooting without a healthy budget or some acquaintances in the shooting world. But...I am slowly clawing my way into the sport with the help of you lot on forums and Facebook groups!

What I’ve achieved so far,

4X4, check

Small first aid kit, check

Shooting business cards made up and being posted, check

Permission sheets designed and printed off, check

Poles, nets and decoys, check

SGC and Shotgun, check

FAC and Deer legal calibre rifle, check

Lots of green clothing, flat cap, boots and some farmer type shirts, check

BASC member for insurance, check

Active member of a local 500yrd rifle club, check

Paid stalks booked in for later on in the year with estate rifle, check

Oh…looking at the list above, I realise I’m actually not doing too bad!

Permissions to shoot on…….Ha Ha Comical!

Join the British Deer society? Please advise!

Some kind of health and safety training? Please advise!

DSC1 Course, will be booking shortly with a local chap.

When I’ve saved up some money, find a syndicate and shoot stuff!

Later down the line, think about trying for my DSC2.

Have I missed anything? Can you suggest anything I haven’t thought of?

Thanks Scott.

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Knock on farmers doors,lots of them ?

Depending where you live , caus down here knocking on the doors doesn’t go down well. 

My advice is write a letter or email, but remember your better off to go beating etc to get some regular pigeon shooting etc

Just because you have all the gear and paperwork it does not mean land owners will come knocking on your door, as Mel says, foot work, mixing with the right people and knocking on doors is the next step, good luck :good:

7 minutes ago, dodeer said:

Depending where you live , caus down here knocking on the doors doesn’t go down well. 

My advice is write a letter or email, but remember your better off to go beating etc to get some regular pigeon shooting etc

Why is that?

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

Just because you have all the gear and paperwork it does not mean land owners will come knocking on your door, as Mel says, foot work, mixing with the right people and knocking on doors is the next step, good luck :good:

Why is that?

From experience years ago ; they don’t like strangers turning up unannounced, can’t be bothered to speak to you, normally have someone doing it already, and down here most farms are 1000+ acres so normally got a game shoot on.

17 minutes ago, dodeer said:

From experience years ago ; they don’t like strangers turning up unannounced, can’t be bothered to speak to you, normally have someone doing it already, and down here most farms are 1000+ acres so normally got a game shoot on.

Don’t know where down here is? But here in the midlands I have never had that type of attitude from a farmer, (keepers yes) I’ve had knock backs from farmers, but most will be civil if a little short in their response like “sorry we already have someone” or you will have to see the keeper, I have given a lot of my farms/estates up now and just shoot a few local farms but I have never had much problem finding shooting, there’s always more than one way to skin a cat.;)

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

Don’t know where down here is? But here in the midlands I have never had that type of attitude from a farmer, (keepers yes) I’ve had knock backs from farmers, but most will be civil if a little short in their response like “sorry we already have someone” or you will have to see the keeper, I have given a lot of my farms/estates up now and just shoot a few local farms but I have never had much problem finding shooting, there’s always more than one way to skin a cat.;)

Dorset. A lot of land is also owned by big landowners and the farmers are just tennants

1 hour ago, dodeer said:

Dorset. A lot of land is also owned by big landowners and the farmers are just tennants

This is a growing problem. Often the shooting rights are given to some syndicate.

The hardest one to get permission on is the first one , from then on, you can refer to that farm when you ask nearby farms , example , I have just been shooting pigeons Mr XXXX farm on his Peas and noticed a lot were going on your laid wheat near the cross roads , any chance having a go tomorrow ? , if the answer is yes then you are already building up a sizable shoot .

I am not sure if you are after shotgun shooting or deer shooting with a rifle , the later I have never done so it might be a completely different ball game in gaining shooting rights .

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Forgive my ignorance, but surley the tennant farmer still has the right to protect his crops/livestock.

Yes but often the owners retains the shooting rights and the keepers choose who shoot there. 

Thats how it is down here. Probably different in different locations 

17 hours ago, dodeer said:

Yes but often the owners retains the shooting rights and the keepers choose who shoot there

So the keepers around that neck of the woods are letting people shoot on the estates, I guess they are people the keeper knows and trusts, the question is why are you not one of those people? As Scully said, beating is one way to get to know him, but there are other ways for the keeper to find out who you are.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

So the keepers around that neck of the woods are letting people shoot on the estates, I guess they are people the keeper knows and trusts, the question is why are you not one of those people? As Scully said, beating is one way to get to know him, but there are other ways for the keeper to find out who you are.

I am one of them.

Beating, helping dog in, moving poults to wood etc is the way to get involved. 

On 19/07/2018 at 17:54, dodeer said:

Yes but often the owners retains the shooting rights and the keepers choose who shoot there. 

Yes I'm in Dorset too. If you ain't in that click of mates of the keepers or so and so, you ain't getting in. I've learned its big areas run for shoots and if you ain't known don't come knocking! I still do tho , I just offer my gardening services in exchange. That didn't work either. They really don't like strangers some of them. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Yes I'm in Dorset too. If you ain't in that click of mates of the keepers or so and so, you ain't getting in. I've learned its big areas run for shoots and if you ain't known don't come knocking! I still do tho , I just offer my gardening services in exchange. That didn't work either. They really don't like strangers some of them. 

Oh yes, if someone upsets someone then all his mates soon know and your blacklisted for a decade or so.  Farmers here don’t need the money or the hassle and we don’t have huge pigeon / rabbit populations and the stalking is normally let for high prices 

aye we seem to be lucky in the south west ..I metal detect as well as shoot "rough" at present over the years have managed 18 farms for detecting and at the present 10 for shooting all have been acquired by face to face meeting ..tis hard work but you MUST sell yourself but don't be too PUSHY ….Agriculteral contractors are are good source of information  as to what farms ,crops are being hit and who owns them ,,as previous comments introduce yourself to keepers offer to beat on shoot days fox drives and roost shoots " beaters day at the season end " my daughter beats but doesn't shoot so she nominates me for her place season end ..farmers and keepers do appreciate an extra pair of eyes around ...choose a quiet time to knock on doors . if a lab or springer dashs out to greet you make it you friend ." do you work your dog?"   yes .ok he is a shooting man ..he will have an idea what you want you now have a foot in the door...build on it ..