First Aid Kits when shooting

Not sure if this would come under guns and equipment, country sports or what so I'll leave it here and see where it ends up.

Do people carry first aid kits when out shooting? if you do, what are you aiming them for and what would you say is absolutely necessary? Are we talking tick removers and plasters for cut hands, or serious stuff for gun-related injuries. I've never really thought about it too much, but do you guys make sure you have access to the same sort of heavies I have when I'm out with the chainsaw?

Edited by chrisjpainter

Big kit in the call for all eventualities, lives in there so always available for shooting.

In shooting bag and pigeon bag and rifle bag i have a small fist aid kit to cope with stings, bites, ticks, thorns, cuts and bruises, maybe a sprain and eye washes and patches to cope with the all to common eye whip one receives when pushing through the thicker stuff but nothing that would help that much if seriously caught on the wrong end of a firearm.

Probably more peace of mind than anything

In the Landie, an over the counter stocked medium sized First Aid kit,  In my shoulder bag when out with the rifle/s is a smaller kit with Antisep. Cream (germolene) Midge cream(Jungle Form) Anti Sep wipes, plasters and a couple of larger wound dressings and tape.   I always have a large roll of paper towel...the blue rolls you see in milking parlours and such ...and a large flask of clean water in the Landie. This doubles for washing hands after a gralloch and I also have a bottle of veterinary liquid soap wash.

Edited by Walker570

43 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

My stalking bag has three things in it.

Strap for gralloch which could be used as a tourniquet

Tick removal tool

celox sachets , it’s a coagulant and is also in my Chainsaw kit bag too.... 

Gotta love the ol' celox. I'm still of the opinion that something is more likely to go wrong with a chainsaw in the right hands than a gun in the right hands as there are far more variables that can't be immediately mitigated against.  Having said that, if something was to go badly wrong with firearms celox, israeli military dressings and potentially tourniquet would be pretty useful to have around.

3 full first aid kits in the truck 

one for dogs 

one for horses 

One for me 

and a box of latex gloves

+a small personal one to drop in game bag if a distance from the truck is expected 

Rule one 

anyone is welcome to use the kit if they stupidly don’t have one 

however it then becomes there’s and I expect them to replace the whole kit with a new one 

personaly think it’s a small investment for peace of mind and I would rather replace and throw away a unused kit every year than have to scrabble about with handkerchief and duck tape 

all the best 

of 

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Gotta love the ol' celox. I'm still of the opinion that something is more likely to go wrong with a chainsaw in the right hands than a gun in the right hands as there are far more variables that can't be immediately mitigated against.  Having said that, if something was to go badly wrong with firearms celox, israeli military dressings and potentially tourniquet would be pretty useful to have around.

I actually started carrying Celox having helped out at an RTA will an old boy loosing his lower leg and bleeding profusely- pads just didn’t contain it and so wished for something better which is when I read up on Celox. ( fortunately the Processionals arrived to take over).

Yep, chainsaws - if you haven’t had a ‘near miss’ with one then you probably haven’t used one ?

I have a bog standard and not particularly expensive First Aid Kit in one of those zip up pouches.

I have added more plasters, disposable gloves and paracetamol, it lives in the car.

Other than the odd scratch I have, fortunately, never had cause to use it!

First aid kits should be a must, I carry a first aid kit and a complete trauma pack shooting and carry it in my car all the time otherwise, I honestly believe it should be taught in school and every car should have to carry a first aid kit. unfortunately most shoots are remote in location, and as soon as guns are mentioned to 999 a lot of assumptions can be made delaying ambulance's or help.

A fairly basic kit should cover must problems, Tick removers are great and universal for both Pooch and Man, I would add something to clean cuts with for example sterile water (eye wash) for cuts, grazes and eye care. when hunting I would also recommend hand sanitizer and maybe a few pairs of single use gloves. As for your chainsaw I would look a tourniquets and pressure bandages, As  ChrisJPainter suggest.  Celox and other haemostatic agents are great by often incorrectly used.

Edited by Greathalf

5 minutes ago, Greathalf said:

word of warning with Celox as great as it is for bleeding sometime a tourniquet can provide a better long term solution. 

Indeed, for limbs.

But in our ‘basic’ course we attended for work, it was frowned upon unless it looked like the limb was going to be lost anyway.

Just now, Jaymo said:

Indeed, for limbs.

But in our ‘basic’ course we attended for work, it was frowned upon unless it looked like the limb was going to be lost anyway.

Correct, Typically raise the limb above the heart if possible and apply direct pressure. once a Tourniquet is on time starts ticking down before complete loss of that limb, Celox has the same problem

1 cat tourniquet and 2 FFDs,and a generic first aid kit left in the car

Apply first FFD + pressure +elevate if possible

Apply second FFD + pressure

Hopefully ambulance has arrived

Apply cat T,as a last resort.

Start praying.

Best bit of first aid kit is a mobile with sufficient battery life and half decent signal.

Edited by Bluebarrels

15 minutes ago, Greathalf said:

Correct, Typically raise the limb above the heart if possible and apply direct pressure. once a Tourniquet is on time starts ticking down before complete loss of that limb, Celox has the same problem

True, but Celox and tourniquets only come into play when we're talking SERIOUS bleeds; venal/arterial stuff where there are bigger consequences than a lost limb. If you're in the position of using either one, sod the limb, save the life. I've never had to use it, but my First Aid+Forestry training with chainsaw related injuries where chain and flesh have met, you're not looking at medium sized dressings, and a bandage. 

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Indeed, for limbs.

I've never been sold on those basic first aid courses. I've done a load of them in my time and none of them made me feel at all prepared for a genuine real life emergency, just the kind of emergency where every single thing is weighted in your favour: easy access to phone, good signal, good vehicle access, all the first aid supplies plus extra things etc. That almost never happens in the real world, except with things that are so minor they barely register as being worth the term 'first aid trained!'

I only felt comfortable and genuinely trained beyond common sense when I did my First Aid+Forestry. Now I feel that if I came was in any situation, whether that's climbing, chainsawing, road accident, shooting accidents, multiple casualty scenarios I could be run the show until the emergency services arrived. 

ChrisJpainter, 

I agree a "basic first aid/first aid at work" courses would not be suitable for most of the circumstances that can occur for a lot of shooters/hunters/woodsman, There are courses targeted towards certain types of scenarios exactly like you attended, with trainers who understand the complications that arise.

I am genuinely glad to see people are taking time to learn medical skills such as advanced first aid. With regards to the Celox and Tourniquets yes 1000% only when a pressure dressing and direct firm pressure is not stemming the bleeding, My expression of concern is that sometimes people are quick to jump to Celox/tourniquets when they are simply not needed.

Indeed, ours is only a day with a 3 yearly refresher.

Basic maybe, but surely better than nothing.

Fortunately for us the ‘normal’ that we see is the occasional heart problem in the Cabin that the Crew deal with using an AED and course knowledge.

The extra info is given for the hopefully survivable crash but inevitable serious injuries from ‘falling out of the Sky’   

I carry a small first aid kit, only thing in mine I haven't read yet is a couple of aspirin. I read on another forum a few years back that just in case of heart attack or some sort of blockage the aspirin can have a positive affect as a blood thinner.... Takes up no room and lasts for years so I stuck a few in... 

35 minutes ago, Croohur said:

I carry a small first aid kit, only thing in mine I haven't read yet is a couple of aspirin. I read on another forum a few years back that just in case of heart attack or some sort of blockage the aspirin can have a positive affect as a blood thinner.... Takes up no room and lasts for years so I stuck a few in... 

Under the tongue 

Was talking to our trainer the other week and tourniquets are now being tought on first aid courses so there must be some evidence of them being useful for major trauma.

celox and others have there uses but there is some evedence coming out that standard gauze stuffed into a wound has similar results. Still carry some though!

carried a massive kit for years and now scaled it down to a few choice bits of kit and a second travelling kit for ouchies and boo boos.

So where do you work Greathalf? I notice the thin green line in your picture! 

2 hours ago, Greathalf said:

ChrisJpainter, 

I agree a "basic first aid/first aid at work" courses would not be suitable for most of the circumstances that can occur for a lot of shooters/hunters/woodsman, There are courses targeted towards certain types of scenarios exactly like you attended, with trainers who understand the complications that arise.

I am genuinely glad to see people are taking time to learn medical skills such as advanced first aid. With regards to the Celox and Tourniquets yes 1000% only when a pressure dressing and direct firm pressure is not stemming the bleeding, My expression of concern is that sometimes people are quick to jump to Celox/tourniquets when they are simply not needed.

18 minutes ago, Greathalf said:

I’m lucky enough to work out of the sunny sea side town of Southend 

Sounds good! I’m lucky enough to work in the green countryside around Shropshire. Have done for 14years. It has its challenges but I love it.