Mounting up Deer Antlers

Stimo22

I have been asked to mount up some really nice antlers on a wood background. The problem is that the scull has been cut flat but there is nothing to screw it to. I wondered wild I could use a resin to fix a threaded screen into the dome of the scull and then through the wood. They are quite large so need some strength. I have some car filler which I could use but how do others fix the scull back to the wood as there is nowhere to fix it without going right through the scull bit.

Any suggestions welcome

I have done just that in the past.  Filled the brain cavity with resin and put a 3/16 inch bolt head well into the resin and supported it whilst it sets. Drill hole through wood and recess the back to take a small washer and thin nut.  Also done a few using a small block of wood J&B'd to the inside of the brain cavity with a hole drilled which slided over a small nail knocked in the wall/beam.

DSCF2146 (800x600).jpg

DSCF2147 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Walker570

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

i should be mounted on a wall when i go ...........cause my head is full of resin anyway..........the half inch UNF thro my skull will be just my style :lol:

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

We could put you above the mantelpiece 

that should keep small children away from the fire ??

:lol:

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I use two pack wood filler to fill the brain cavity,then screw from the back of the wooden mount into the filler.

Looking at nevs idea, I think I'll give it a go when I do the next one.

thats what my brain surgeon suggested.........