Grass field decoying and school boy error

Worzel-gummidge

Had an invite from a friend who shot this area of 2000 acres of arable land for 30 years until someone purchased the shooting rights for a pheasant syndicate and kicked all pest control shooters off, now all he's got is this small grass field for a couple of horses.

So to the right is a pea field and a block of wood behind then a wheat field to the left and we have seen pigeons hammering the pea field but not in great numbers at any one time.
Did not start until about 1.30pm and put out his old 4 way pigeon magnet and my flapper plus some shell deeks scattered at 25 - 30 yards, we settled in the hide under a nice tall poplar tree.
Within 10 minutes the 1st birds arrived and did not stop coming all afternoon but we shot like absolute tools and to make matters worse we both ran out of cartridges, all the Fiocchi 6's had dissipated, I had to hunt through the truck and found about 30 Kent 28g 7.5's from a clay busting outing.
We packed up around 6pm and managed to pick exactly 70 birds but we lost some in the 6 foot high brambles and nettles we had to our right near the pea field, even the dogs wouldn't go in. Should of been a 100 day easy, however i'm shooting over rape stubble on Sunday with a truck loaded with cartridges so watch this space.

It isn't often I post my pigeon days on here as there isn't anything to report normally with a serious lack of pigeons on my permissions, my best day decoying was last year on peas with 30, so at the moment i'm very happy. 

Happy hunting.

20180710_191733 (1024x768).jpg

20180710_152409 (2) (1024x768).jpg

Interesting to hear about decoying a grass field. My perm has standing barley with nothing laid, i have a wood and a few acres of meadow. Some of the fields in the area are now being harvested and the birds are flighting over my meadow or they were an hour ago as two blokes are shooting the adjoining fields.

I am thinking of a day on the flight line but didnt consider decoying ??

15 minutes ago, ips said:

Interesting to hear about decoying a grass field. My perm has standing barley with nothing laid, i have a wood and a few acres of meadow. Some of the fields in the area are now being harvested and the birds are flighting over my meadow or they were an hour ago as two blokes are shooting the adjoining fields.

I am thinking of a day on the flight line but didnt consider decoying ??

From the reconnaissance we noticed now and again one or two birds would land on the cut grass so we presumed they had a fancy for a bit of seed.

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

+1 series schoolboy error! 

47 minutes ago, JDog said:

Join the 'ran out of cartridges' club.

The club is growing all the time and no doubt would grow a lot more if the knockers admitted they have done it themselves , as I have said before , I don't mind one bit if I run out of shells , at least I know then I have had a good day , nowadays I am there for the sport and no longer there just for the numbers . 

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

The club is growing all the time and no doubt would grow a lot more if the knockers admitted they have done it themselves , as I have said before , I don't mind one bit if I run out of shells , at least I know then I have had a good day , nowadays I am there for the sport and no longer there just for the numbers . 

I will admit to running out of cartridges. However, this was many years ago when I could not always afford as many as I would have liked!