A start to 2018 harvest

aga man

It seems that through putting in some effort and also by the power of the internet I have people wanting dead pigeons from me. I have an order for 200 steel shot birds and folk generally wanting pigeons for their tea are waiting for me to shoot some.

The field I had earmarked, hopefully for a day with JDog has been frustrating to watch. The field is rape and had been swathed for well over a week. Pigeons had been busy feeding on the laid swathes but I wasn't happy about shooting it as picking the birds would of been almost impossible due to the size of the huge swaths.

The field was harvested on Sunday and I was hopeful of having a day here. Sadly following the heavy rain at the start of the week, pigeons turned off like a switch and started to feed heavily on standing wheat, many birds in fact and they have not bothered with the rape field since??

My old mate tan has access to some rape and although they was not as many birds here, they have still being feeding on the standing crop. At a loose end this afternoon we decided to have a decoy session there as the combine had started there at 9am.

When we arrived the combine was still working its way away from our chose spot, a sitty tree.

We set up a dead bird magnet and 8 deads on cradles. Birds were not here in numbers and any that came for a look at the decoys headed for the tree and made it very difficult to shoot them through the tree canopy.

As the day progressed things got better but not fantastic as the combine kept birds off the opposite end of the field, many birds showed interest but did not decoy real well. We shot most of the day with steel to fill up my freezer with steel shot birds before moving onto shooting lead towards the end.

We were very selective with our shots as we didn't want to lose birds in the wheat behind us having left the dogs at home. At 6.pm we packed up with 103 on the clicker and picked Exactly 100 .

Our shooting took some explaining at certain times of the day but we made up for in the last hour bringing down some real long birds using Hull superfast 6's. The Gamebore super steel in no5 also proved deadly today.

My phone camera packed in so tan took the pic.:good:

Thanks for reading.

37352118_2169627349981468_8102874816618430464_n.jpg

Excellent bag and a very good account of your day out with Tan , we are going through a hectic period at the moment with combining going on every day , our last rainfall was the 9th of June and that was only 2mil , they started on the rape yesterday and were still cutting today which now makes it nine days on the trot , I can find pigeons every day but after some shooting they can cross the road and find more food . still its better to get some shooting than no shooting . 

50 minutes ago, kenholland said:

a man of steel then plus a mobile gun dog well done the hide look's dark but hey you got a result well done

Thanks, the hide is at the base of an old ash tree and didn't look too out of place from 30yds.

49 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Aga Man, disappointing to hear about the original rape field but you obviously made up for it today. There must have been some birds if you were being selective and still managed 100. 

Thanks Clodhopper, yes seems to be plenty of pigeons about the area, hundreds hitting the wheat in a few places now.

44 minutes ago, JDog said:

A good session for the two of you.

Your efforts to sell or give away birds on the internet are to be applauded. 

Thanks J. still plenty to go at so will be in touch very soon.

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent bag and a very good account of your day out with Tan , we are going through a hectic period at the moment with combining going on every day , our last rainfall was the 9th of June and that was only 2mil , they started on the rape yesterday and were still cutting today which now makes it nine days on the trot , I can find pigeons every day but after some shooting they can cross the road and find more food . still its better to get some shooting than no shooting . 

Yes, they are certainly spoilt for choices of food now. It was really noticeable that pigeons got onto standing wheat the day after a night of heavy rain, perhaps they find moisture in that too?

29 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

Top job Aga.

nice to out shooting now the weather is a little cooler.

f.

Thanks fudds, yes lovely and cool under the tree today, but still a pain trying to keep dead birds cool and free of flies!

4 hours ago, yickdaz said:

good see a post from you and great result I have gone down the same route as you and got some orders from the bird of prey guys so I need to shoot some with steel this weekend like I did last weekend 

Nice one Daz, I hope you find a regular outlet with the steel shot situation. All new to me but so far they seem a very hit and miss round this way.  Hope you get under some pigeons at weekend.

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

A 100 is not to be sniffed at but its always the way when you have plenty in the freezer no orders, when you have orders no pigeon. Good result well done.

Thanks PC we could have shot more but chose not to for now. Sorry about the presentation I was in a rush to get home as wife was off to start a night shift in 40 mins and was starting to get slightly aggressive!- {hope Greece is lovely}.

Edited by aga man

2 hours ago, aga man said:

Thanks PC we could have shot more but chose not to for now. 

I like that aga man , Although I do go a lot more than you , I do set myself a time limit and try and stick to it , if I tell my wife I will be home between 6.30 / 7.00 pm , then I will give it till 6.00 at the latest , if I have got to walk then it will be a bit earlier , mind you , as the days are  getting shorter I do go just after dinner and have a quick look round first

I can understand the people who work all the week trying to get as much out of the day as they can due to the only day they have to go shooting , as I was in the same position for a number of years until I retired , now , as much as I like pigeon shooting , I now enjoy regular short sessions than the all day affairs .

1 hour ago, motty said:

A fine start to the harvest. I think the hide looks just fine!

Thanks motty. The hide was fine, like I say a few yards back you would se the tree base almost as thick as the double hide. Tan is very discreet with his photos and dose'nt like to give much away about the location.

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I like that aga man , Although I do go a lot more than you , I do set myself a time limit and try and stick to it , if I tell my wife I will be home between 6.30 / 7.00 pm , then I will give it till 6.00 at the latest , if I have got to walk then it will be a bit earlier , mind you , as the days are  getting shorter I do go just after dinner and have a quick look round first

I can understand the people who work all the week trying to get as much out of the day as they can due to the only day they have to go shooting , as I was in the same position for a number of years until I retired , now , as much as I like pigeon shooting , I now enjoy regular short sessions than the all day affairs .

I often like the shorter/lesser sessions nowadays. the big bag decoying days are great especially if shared with a pal but I enjoy the 30 bags over peas or shooting these return lines back into the towns with JDog beside me, perhaps 40 or 50 birds but up there with the best of sport.

10 hours ago, aga man said:

Nice one Daz, I hope you find a regular outlet with the steel shot situation. All new to me but so far they seem a very hit and miss round this way.  Hope you get under some pigeons at weekend.

Thanks PC we could have shot more but chose not to for now. Sorry about the presentation I was in a rush to get home as wife was off to start a night shift in 40 mins and was starting to get slightly aggressive!- {hope Greece is lovely}.

I forgive the presentation under the circumstances, Greece is predicted to be 40 degrees on Sunday so I'm having to drink more beer also I did manage to bring out 180 cans of cider for the duration. My son is joining us at the weekend for four weeks and he will knock a hole in that. Again a good effort with the pigeons.

13 hours ago, aga man said:

I have 3 guys who want pigeons from me sold some to 1 of them and the 2 other guys want some midweek but they won't want any for a while once they are supplied until the birds eat them its a strange dilemma I have the outlets but I will be shooting them quicker than I can get rid of them