Why would my laptop just crash?

Jaggsy

Could be a no of things, can you see the boot loader screen.... If not ideally 1st check is to swap hd to another laptop and see if it boots, if it does then data is usually ok and it is new laptop time unless old one is worth repairing.

If it doesn't boot in another laptop main disk is gone and it depends on how your disk rescue/back up partition software is configured.

47 minutes ago, Jaggsy said:

As above... my laptop just closed down and it wont boot up, tried another power lead but nothing. I'm guessing if it was the processor then it would still indicate that there was power to the unit no?

TIA

hello, what is the make and model of your laptop, how old, ????

11 hours ago, Jaggsy said:

As above... my laptop just closed down and it wont boot up, tried another power lead but nothing. I'm guessing if it was the processor then it would still indicate that there was power to the unit no?

TIA

Did you try the power lead in the same socket?

Maybe check the consumer unit to see if anything has tripped....

If it just turned off and now won't come back it's most likely the power supply. If however it shut down and now has power but won't boot it could be all sorts of things. Depending on how old the laptop is and how much you spent on it will dictate if you throw it away or repair it. The data should be safe as houses on the hdd and easily retrievable in any case. 

Is the 'on' light visible and the charging light if you have it on charge? Most laptops have a reset switch. It is usually inside but accessible via a pinhole on the back. Using an unfolded paper clip locate the hole and push the pin inside. You will 'feel ' a click and the laptop will either boot up or shut down ready for re-booting.

Vic.

Seems simple and just a suggestion! But the battery on my laptop died, it would not power up even when the charger was plugged into the computer from the mains! I removed the battery and plugged the charger in directly to the laptop, bingo! It immediately powered up! Sorted!

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

Seems simple and just a suggestion! But the battery on my laptop died, it would not power up even when the charger was plugged into the computer from the mains! I removed the battery and plugged the charger in directly to the laptop, bingo! It immediately powered up! Sorted!

+1, no good to use away from home though. I got a replacement battery but it don't last like the original

Edited by hambone

13 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Yup!

BTDT.

I ran an old Mac like that for years!

Hi all and thanks for the replies I haven't been able to get online hence the delay....... I've tried what's been suggested but to no avail including removal of the battery etc. There doesn't appear to be a reset switch on this or at least I can't locate one, i bought a new power lead in case it was that. It's an Acer 7741 and maybe it's just had it!