Car insurance ****ards

spandit

Had a blow out in my car last month and ended up writing it off by hitting a tree. Claim made on the vehicle only and despite the tyre probably going due to the dreadful roads around here, don't have any proof of that so had to be at fault.

Anyway, decided on getting a 2nd hand VW Golf as need something economical and hopefully cheap to insure (no protected NCD). Went through all the comparison sites and quite surprised at how expensive it's going to be to insure. That said, the quotes were for 2 days ago and hopefully picking up the car today. They've all since gone up by £60! Cheapest I've found is £462 with AXA but even that's more expensive than the quotes I got 2 days ago... Quotemehappy.com wanted a grand...

Honestly considering it's an at fault claim I'd be happy with the £60 premium hike.

I had a multi-car policy, sold one of the cars so had a single car on that policy, this was fine but insurer advised wouldn't be able to insure me the following year unless I had numerous cars.

Few months later a van driver hit the back of me his fault completely but I was in great need of a replacement car over the xmas period so had to get the legal team involved as my insurer's wouldn't take the risk to provide me with a hire car whilst repairs were undertaken on my car. This resulted in me claiming against myself until the whole thing was settled (still isn't 7 months later)

Fast forward a couple of months post incident my insurer can no longer provide a quote so I venture out calling, comparison quotes etc. etc. as there was a claim which had reached £15k against myself my insurance premium has gone from £400 to £900. No matter what I did i couldn't get it lower and I'm still paying this premium now, awaiting my revised NCB in the next couple of weeks so I can then get my current insurer to revise my premium.

I'd gladly take the £60 on the chin 

Most websites the prices go up if you go back in a second time, its the same with flights and train tickets. You have to either save your quote, if you can. Or delete your cookies before you go back.

They know you have been there and they have got you on the hook if you go back. Delete your cookies and try again

Edited by Vince Green

1 minute ago, spandit said:

The 60 quid hike was not due to the claim - it was because I went back 2 days later. At least tax should be cheap and I'll save a bit on fuel

Oh I see.

That is rather naughty, I always thought the comparison sites used to save your quote and honour it for around a week. Did you phone up the company providing the quote they can be flexible at times to a degree.

Its not ‘going back a second time’ as the Comparison sites save your quotes and email /text the three lowest usually.

What is happening is that the closer to inception of a policy then yes the price goes up.

Something to do with your attitude to running your life as in, are you a sensible organised person who looks ahead any buys his insurance in a timely fashion. Or do you rush and do things last min- possibly indicating a greater Insurance liability......... That’s my understanding from a Broker friend. 

Oh, certain sites such as Aviva save your quote for 60 days