Ive gota' come clean...

ditchman

Sorry....no pics this time..this is more of a "speak easy" post.......

as im starting to feel better...i felt the "pigeon urge"...(dont ask me its name ...i forgot).........i did my shopping and on the way back i could see 2 groups of 50 or so on the slashed rape stubble....so i thought i would have a go at that.............10 o'clock Jay mo turned up with his fridge handle...he was on a time limit..and we spent most of that talking rubbish..how time flies when you are enjoying yorself..anyway we fixed the fridge handle and he went off like a scalded cat as he was very late for his next appointment....shame ...we could have spent at least anothe 2 hours talking rubbish.:lol:

so off i went to the theatre of operations...threw the net over the landy ..put 20 odd decoys out put my chair out ..loaded up the A303...then fired a shot to get the birds moving...........

BLOODY HELL..........fired the shot and in excess of 400 birds got up , on the other side of the field....these birds were floating about everywhere.........

It is 2 weeks short of a year , since i last pulled the trigger....i was using the auto as i didnt want my shoulder and neck "jagged"...it has been a long time since my neck and shoulder has been free of pain, so i didnt want it to start off again.

Now ...i like my auto..but.... i have never been able to shoot well with it...as my little 26"boxlocklock is my go to gun............im not going to elucidate on the proceedings just give you an outline

• missed first 9 shots
  • then hit one bird
  • missed another 6 shots
  • then pricked on
  • missed 3 shots
  • then hit dropped 3 birds one after the other
  • followed by a period of missing

this went on for some time...and no improvement.............the birds decoyed beautifully....but if i had decieded to shoot myself.....i would have missed

When im shooting regular like...i am a tasty shot...im fast and dont take prisoners...i know i have killed the bird that micro second before you pull the trigger...and as the trigger is pulled my eyes are wandering , looking for the second shot..........................now that feeling is not there with the auto...i dont know why but it just aint there...

so i packed up after 2.5 hours whilst the birds were still flying about picked up 14 birds for maybe 60 odd shots...the back of the landrover is like a maracess with the empties.....

i had a loverly time i could breath and smell the harvest...i was in the shade...and just sucking up the vista............

im getting my mojo back and the little boxlock has been fondeled this morning...

"the games afoot"

oh one other thing ..................."at least i didnt run out of cartridges"  :lol:

‘Twas wondering how you got on ( next time tell me to chuck a slab in the car and a gun), would miss more than you and make you feel like a Champ

Have thanked you privately but also want to say publicly how much I appreciated your help and lovely to meet you both ( nice cuppa too) — scalded cat’ , more like an Exocet missile until the magical phone reception returned nearing the A47 ( your right that I do need a spare set in the glovebox) 

Take it easy fella and will be in touch

Jay

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

‘Twas wondering how you got on ( next time tell me to chuck a slab in the car and a gun), would miss more than you and make you feel like a Champ

Have thanked you privately but also want to say publicly how much I appreciated your help and lovely to meet you both ( nice cuppa too) — scalded cat’ , more like an Exocet missile until the magical phone reception returned nearing the A47 ( your right that I do need a spare set in the glovebox) 

Take it easy fella and will be in touch

Jay

i will do that.................i will watch the stubbles and if one starts to build up i will give you a couple of days notice.................

I couldn't get on with my semi, al391 or something. Loved the gun, but could't hit a thing with it. I swapped it out for something else, can't remember what. But the RFD said the turnover is very high with semi's as a lot of good shots can't get on with them.  I convinced myself it was something to do with bleeding off some of the gasses during its cycle and therefore shot travelling a bit slower, so not enough lead...its an excuse that suited me at the time!!...whatever, back to the o/u and back to normal. 

36 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I couldn't get on with my semi, al391 or something. Loved the gun, but could't hit a thing with it. I swapped it out for something else, can't remember what. But the RFD said the turnover is very high with semi's as a lot of good shots can't get on with them.  I convinced myself it was something to do with bleeding off some of the gasses during its cycle and therefore shot travelling a bit slower, so not enough lead...its an excuse that suited me at the time!!...whatever, back to the o/u and back to normal. 

my "ex" shooting mate who has gone all funny....turned to fox shooting and as a result dosnt speak to anyone now.........(im sure fox shooting is a desease)........

bought a 391 ...he loved it.....but his shooting went all to pot....eventually got rid of it in disgust...was thinking of giving up 12 bore...and on a whim bought a nice beretta o/u....and he shoots like a demon with it ..straight off...so good infact he is often asked to do the gun bit at dog trails............

when the birds build up again im going to get out the boxlock and i know i will have good results.........i only use 28gm #7's......and it is choked at open and 1/4.and has 26" barrels...but i still surprise myself at how far it can reach out and stone stuff.................

watch this space

Edited by ditchman

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

my "ex" shooting mate who has gone all funny....turned to fox shooting and as a result dosnt speak to anyone now.........(im sure fox shooting is a desease)........

bought a 391 ...he loved it.....but his shooting went all to pot....eventually got rid of it in disgust...was thinking of giving up 12 bore...and on a whim bought a nice beretta o/u....and he shoots like a demon with it ..straight off...so good infact he is often asked to do the gun bit at dog trails............

when the birds build up again im going to get out the boxlock and i know i will have good results.........i only use 28gm #7's......and it is choked at open and 1/4.and has 26" barrels...but i still surprise myself at how far it can reach out and stone stuff.................

watch this space

A long time ago now i changed from my loverly Lanber to the Hatsan, took a few outings to get used to it but started to do well with it, and never looked back. Decided to take the old lanber out for an outing last month and could not hit a thing with it, the harder I tried the worse I got. Its back in the cabinet now and will probably never be used by me again. Although my son still shoots well with it. Nice report and pleased you got out of the stable and shot a few, and even more pleased that you didn't run out of ammo.:good:

Good to read that you're 'at it' again fella :good:A session or two (they'll only count as practice  ;) ) and you'll have your eye in again I've no doubt.

Being built like a gibbon I've found my Hatsan semi-auto to be a wonderful tool for the job at hand. I had to add all of the supplied spacers to the stock to make it very nearly long enough for me, but I shoot better with it than almost anything else I've ever had in my hands (shotgun-wise) because of it.

You cant beat talking a lot of ole Norfolk Squit , no one have a clue what you are running on about but they always nod there head and have a smile on there face , weather they are any wiser ? , I doubt it as they are normally more confused after a yarn than they were before they started .

Glad you got out and had a go at some of the pigeons , as long as you came home with a few is all that matters , don't worry about how many shells you used , no doubt if you were able to get out as much as some of us do you would get your eye well in .

My brother stopped shooting for well over twenty years and took it back up again about two years ago , to begin with he was very rusty but as time went on he started to hit far more than he missed , he have only shot pigeons once with me since he took it up again and he didn't do that bad , a couple of weeks ago he tied in first place with a little 40 bird competition and is now coming up to being 74 , so the more you do , the better you will become ,      

7 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Pleased to here you are in recovery mode ditchy ol’ boy. Hope you get a few more on your next outing.

Norfolk is warmer than Iraq at the moment , murderous heat and it’s very uncomfortable out there for a long session.

where you been boi...............didnt know they were into pigeon shooting in iraq...

• 2 weeks later...