FAC Ammo Safe Installation

Looking to apply for my Section 1 within the next few months.

This is currently my gun cabinet installation as pictured. The Gun Cabinet is bolted through the wall and seated on the deposit box so I didn't have to trim the skirting. The deposit box has 2 x  M10 bolts securing it to the Gun cabinet as I didn't want to bolt the deposit safe to the floor.

It's going absolutely nowhere the deposit safe is rigid and can't be moved in anyway as obviously is the case with the Gun Cabinet, so i'd like to use the deposit safe as my ammo and bolt safe.

Would this suffice for my section 1 or would i likely need to bolt the deposit safe to the floor or provide another couple of bolt fixings? I didn't install this with Section 1 In mind but would like to make any necessary changes prior to my application so it's all in place?

- Best case I leave it as it is as it's compliant.

- Not so bad case I provide an additional couple of bolt fixings to secure the deposit and gun safe.

- Bad Case I have to bolt the deposit safe to the floor and damage or cut out the carpet.

- Worse Case I have to trim out the skirting board on top of one of the other options so the deposit safe is also flush to the wall? There is not enough space or leverage to jimmy the safe out and I've filled voids and gaps with the chemical resin stuff that would have to be broken out. 

Any advice / experience appreciated, I'm mindful cabinet inspection is more stringent for Section 1 and don't want to fall at the first hurdle.

IMG_2832.jpg

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i just bolted mine to the top of the cabinet

This is a relief! 

How many fixings in total? I currently have 2 and due to the depth being circa 30cm its obviously going nowhere. Wasn't sure if common sense prevailed or it was a requirement to have 4 for instance.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, BritishShooting said:

This is a relief! 

How many fixings in total? I currently have 2 and due to the depth being circa 30cm its obviously going nowhere. Wasn't sure if common sense prevailed or it was a requirement to have 4 for instance.

Thanks 

hello, sorry made a mistake on my post, i did bolt ammo safe to the wall x 2 and 2 short bolts to cabinet.

34 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Sorry but I think the safe has to be bolted to the wall as well (mine is).

In that case probably going to be easiest to buy a new deposit safe and just bolt that above the gun safe so I can leave the low level one acting as a plinth, can use that for passports etc in that case and the high level one as a dedicated ammo safe.

It will be located at a more ideal height then also I suppose. 

That's a good idea. My safe is above the cabinet and a pain to reach but you have to go with the space you have available. My FEO wanted to see at least 4 bolts in both.

9 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Nice set-up btw. I have lights in mine but not as posh as yours. Do you have a dehumidifier in the cabinet?

There nothing fancy mate, just magnetic push activated LED lights. But much needed as it's under stair storage where I don't have a light in the room.

I don't have a de-humidifier no but I've had no issues with humidity at all really. I do think it probably helps that the cabinet is raised off the floor and theres two pre-drilled holes in the bottom that it can breath through. This room always seems to remain a constant temperature to as it's central to the house and no adjacent radiators etc. Never cold and never hot, just nice.

EDIT: I do have a VP90 sachet in there but nothing more elaborate than that like a proper dehumidifier.

Edited by BritishShooting

Its all fixed now i presume?

I would have turned the safe round so that the lock was against the wall making it extremely difficult to pry open the door. As it is now you could quite easily get a pry bar behind the door (Lock side)and open it that is the weakest point. 

You could add a little more security to the door into the cupboard. 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

Its all fixed now i presume?

I would have turned the safe round so that the lock was against the wall making it extremely difficult to pry open the door. As it is now you could quite easily get a pry bar behind the door (Lock side)and open it that is the weakest point. 

You could add a little more security to the door into the cupboard. 

Good point, Not sure how I could address this though, the wall it's fixed to is the only suitable wall to fix to, the other adjacent wall is just an internal stud partition. I suppose I could re-orientate some way but may need to drill new holes which is a pain in the bum.

Just now, BritishShooting said:

Good point, Not sure how I could address this though, the wall it's fixed to is the only suitable wall to fix to, the other adjacent wall is just an internal stud partition. I suppose I could re-orientate some way but may need to drill new holes which is a pain in the bum.

You will be fine i am sure, it was just a couple of observations thats all. When i fixed mine it was something that i thought about and did. Also beefing up the internal door and adding a lock was another. I have 2 cabinets 1 has the odd one or two rifles in and the main one is in a different location with bolts etc in, and then a further safe for ammunition and bullets. 

Its all about putting as many obstacles in place for an opportunist low life. 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

You will be fine i am sure, it was just a couple of observations thats all. When i fixed mine it was something that i thought about and did. Also beefing up the internal door and adding a lock was another. I have 2 cabinets 1 has the odd one or two rifles in and the main one is in a different location with bolts etc in, and then a further safe for ammunition and bullets. 

Its all about putting as many obstacles in place for an opportunist low life. 

Agreed.

• 4 months later...