Hedge Trimmers

The Heron

I need to seriously attack my garden and need to purchase some hedge trimmers that I can use off ladders and step ladders as well as off the ground the maximum thickness to cut will be about 18mm thick (3/4" in old money) do I buy corded, battery or petrol any recommendations on make or type are most welcome especially what you are using at the moment. Thanks.

I’ve got a tanaka petrol long handle trimmer, it does the job but feels heavy as the balance is out. I also have a majors cordless one that runs on 2 x 18v batteries, that thing is just a beast! Was very surprised at the size of it when it came, it’s a lump of a unit, but very powerful. 

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

I have a mitox petrol multitool with hedge trimmer, pole chainsaw, and extension. Beats standing on ladders etc and a hell of a lot safer

Me too. Recommended by b-in-law who ran a garden machinery centre. He reckons they're a rock solid piece of kit.

I purchased a stihl hs 56 Will cut 3/4 inch branch no problem, Easy to start no cables etc

if you want to go through big branch’s in my view petrol is the only way to go and always a higher model as it will have the grunt behind it, plenty of second hand bargains to be found at a snip off the price new.

Stihl HS 45 is light to use of ladder etc loppers for 18mm stuff 

Or one of the stihl larger machines but are very heavy to use all day.

take into consideration once you are on top of cutting the hedge you will no longer require heavy duty machine, so a little hard work first time round and you can tackle it with a HS45 or pole one.

4 hours ago, haynes said:

Ive got a stihl. About 200quid from memory. Great piece of kit. 

You might struggle with any hedge cutter cutting 18mm thick stuff. I resorted to the chainsaw when they get that big.

Agree. 18 mm is too thick for even the biggest petrol hedge trimmers.

Depends on your budget. Stihl if you want to buy once. Bloody expensive but worth every penny. We only use Stihl at work and have the best of their range in every thing and we use them daily. They just keep going and we hammer the hell out of em. 

But I do personal garden work on the side and buy secondhand Stihl where and when I can afford it, but I recently bought the titan multitool from Screwfix. It's got the strimmer head, brushcutter, pole pruner and the hedge cutter attachment. Oh and a meter extension. Cost £150. Heavy machine but if you use is sensibly it's sound. Plus I don't need ladders because I keep the weight low, put on the extension and knock off the top at around 8ft. Only thing I'd say about it is the blade looks huge on the website. It's roughly 2ft. Looks a lot bigger online. 

On another note it will go through 35mm branch's just need to hit it from both sides and give it some muscle! 

I have a stihl petrol trimmer with a pole extension - can't reccomend it enough.  It's so much faster and safer to cut big hedges than using ladders (for me anyway). I also find that by being stood slightly back from what you're cutting, you get a better overall view and it's easier to make a neater job.