Tips on Pigeon Shooting in this Hot weather?

DavoW

Hi All

Looking for some advice with shooting pigeons with this current 25-30c constant weather we have in the UK.

I have a few fields I am able to shoot on, 2 have just been harvested which were Oilseed rape, so it is now stubble, I am unsure at present when the farmer is harvesting the wheat fields.

Everything I read says rape stubble is great, however not seeing busy flight lines, there seem to be more birds on wheat fields around and the weather being very warm isn't ideal of course.

Would appreciate some advice, please

Edited by DavoW
title change

Depending when it was cut it sometimes takes a few days for the birds to build-up, although I have seen birds hitting combined rape as it was being combined, I also am seeing a lot of birds dropping into the tramlines (not much laid wheat this year) wheat here is about 2 weeks away, (where abouts are you?) most off the rape and barley here is combined or being combined.

Just because you have some rape stubble does not guarantee pigeons, but when they do hit it you can have some big bags on the right field, rape stubble is a bit like fly fishing for trout in May ‘duffers fortnight’

"the weather being very warm isn't ideal of course" you are wrong, you want it warm and dry after they have combined the rape.

Edited by old'un

Hello Old'un

Thank you for replying so soon, I am in Kent.
I was under the impression pigeon shooting in high heat and very sunny days wasn't ideal? 
Slightly cloudy so the rays are not shining in the pigeon's face nor mine! :) also a bit of wind whereas we have almost zero wind right now.

17 minutes ago, DavoW said:

Hello Old'un

Thank you for replying so soon, I am in Kent.
I was under the impression pigeon shooting in high heat and very sunny days wasn't ideal? 
Slightly cloudy so the rays are not shining in the pigeon's face nor mine! :) also a bit of wind whereas we have almost zero wind right now.

I’ve shot some big numbers on rape stubble with not a cloud in the sky and a light breeze, with the temperature hitting 30+ and sweat dripping down my neck just sitting still in the hide.

You are correct, in an ideal world for the shooter and to stop the birds turning blue, you would want a nice breeze around 10-15 mph, a few clouds to brake the heat of the sun, and hopefully find a nice shady tree to sit under.

If they want that field on the day it all makes very little difference to the pigeons.

on hot days get some hessian sacking and  put it in a large plastic tub soak in water and leave  in the tub in the Hyde .when you get a few birds  place them  on the sacking and cover with a layer of sacking it doesn't matter if they are 3 deep the sacking just drains the heat from them  and stops them going green and the fly's  do not  like it but the game dealers do good quality birds make a lot of difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuzet-Builders-prote…/…/B01NCAUI3Q…

Edited by stuartbrierley