Word of warning..think twice

ditchman

i have put this heads up in "off topic" as most people drop in to it who have dogs ..............

i have just driven over the rape stubble ...to push a few birds off, to see where they go off to when spooked.................the stubble is like millions of sharp knives ...as a result of being baked hard by the sun............

DONT WORK YOUR DOGS ON IT...until the rain has softened and started to rot down the stubble..............many years ago we were walking over a stubble at Burgh Castle with the dogs to heel..one of my mates labs yelped..which made us jump...checked it over ...nothing......fine rest of the day..........

the next day in the evening i got a call from him...telling me he had just got back from the vets with Roo.......the vet had pulled out a 2" long piece of rape stubble that had gone up his willy tube...christ poor dog....it made my knees go funny thinking about it..

so think twice and also yourselves about messing about on the rape stubble...if you trip over it and get it in your face ...it will hurt

all the best...

I am spending time every day looking closely between Jaspers toes for grass seeds and short and sharp barley awns from stubbles. Today I must have taken fifteen pieces which had worked their way down and were piercing his skin.

Yesterday I shot on rape stubble and I left him at home for the reasons outlined in Ditchmans post.

Edited by JDog

i believe one of the MODS either cranfield or zapp did a post this time last year after they had cut their hand whilst falling over on the stubble..............this year ...for reasons as you know ..it is a lot worse..

i was a little worried driving over it...so i kept my speed right down...

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

went on one farm today, and the rape was cut very short never seen rape cut so short befor,and not a lot of birds on it,

They might had cut it short to bale the stalks up , straw might be in short supply this year.

I didn't go on the rape stubble today for the very reason ditchman said in his thread , the rape stubble this year is lethal , i walked round last night and all i kept getting were scratches on my legs and i was a bit worried about the dogs belly , so not worth the aggro .

Many thanks Ditchman for the heads up on this. My pal and I were due to go out on rape stubble on Monday but have had to cancel anyway, but your post would have been heeded and we would have left his dog at home. 

Many thanks for posting.

OB