Nurse wood for sale.

harrycatcat1

I looked at a few of these type of woods and essentially it’s an investment game, there’s little or no inheritance tax on woodland so buying a big wood and breaking into parcels means people can tie up some money and reduce liabilities - works so long as the person you shift it onto accepts the artificially inflated price, rather like investing in wine or art.

and yes there are often heavy restrictions as in the particulars of a couple I looked at were clauses for no shooting, no open fires, no felling unless part of the management scheme for the whole wood, no overnight camping, no livestock

im sure there is a better and cheaper way to buy a wood that you could actually use, maybe through land agents or similar 

Unfortunately private woodland tends to get treated as public property. My woodland is next to land owned by a wildlife charity and their members assume my land is owned by the charity - they destroy signs and object to pheasant shooting and deer management whilst ignoring the defined boundary. 

We have a wood we own freehold. We can shoot on it. Have fires on it. Coppice it as its mainly hazel coppice with other types of trees mixed in. Fell up to 5 cubic metres firewood per year. No public footpaths through or near it. Nearest town is 4 miles away. A long way up a gated private farm track. Can stay overnight subject to 28 days restriction. 

Main restrictions are no commercial camping or vehicle racing.

We did look at 14 woods over a 6 month period before finding this one. Just treated the finding as a day out with picnic when we went to look at each one. Most you don't need to book an appointment or view with an agent. Just print of the details and go.

Prices vary per acre. Bigger woods tend to be cheaper per acre than small ones. Location pays a part in price just like houses. If there is a river with included fishing rights or pond/lake included it is more expensive. £10,000 per acre is a good average price. A big wood can go for £5,000/acre a 0.75 acre went for £9,500.

We viewed an 8 acre wood for £32,000, but you needed a 4x4 to access it except in very dry conditions and it was all scots pine plantation (a bit boring).

Edited by loriusgarrulus

22 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

We have a wood we own freehold. We can shoot on it. Have fires on it. Coppice it as its mainly hazel coppice with other types of trees mixed in. Fell up to 5 cubic metres firewood per year. No public footpaths through or near it. Nearest town is 4 miles away. A long way up a gated private farm track. Can stay overnight subject to 28 days restriction. 

Main restrictions are no commercial camping or vehicle racing.

We did look at 14 woods over a 6 month period before finding this one. Just treated the finding as a day out with picnic when we went to look at each one. Most you don't need to book an appointment or view with an agent. Just print of the details and go.

Prices vary per acre. Bigger woods tend to be cheaper per acre than small ones. Location pays a part in price just like houses. If there is a river with included fishing rights or pond/lake included it is more expensive. £10,000 per acre is a good average price. A big wood can go for £5,000/acre a 0.75 acre went for £9,500.

We viewed an 8 acre wood for £32,000, but you needed a 4x4 to access it except in very dry conditions and it was all scots pine plantation (a bit boring).

hello, that does sound a nice piece of england to own?

A lot of woods were planted on land that was difficult to farm. Most tend to be on steep slopes. Ours is on the flatter side of the wood with very gentle slope, hardly noticable so easily walked round. The other side of the wood has quite a steep slope. Something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying one as a retirement project and allow for being less able to cope with a hillside as you get older.

41 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, many many years ago i was offered a stretch of a nice trout river for sale in a Sussex valley, but then family/morgage/ etc etc prevailed, just the wrong time in life, todays value would get a good pension, ah well

That's the problem.

We bought ours with some of the pension lump sum. Couldn't have afforded it when younger and fitter. Took a while to find one without a steep slope on it we could manage.

Saw a lovely one with a pond on it we could have afforded. Trouble was the pond area was the only flat bit.:cry1::cry1:

?

12 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

That's the problem.

We bought ours with some of the pension lump sum. Couldn't have afforded it when younger and fitter. Took a while to find one without a steep slope on it we could manage.

Saw a lovely one with a pond on it we could have afforded. Trouble was the pond area was the only flat bit.:cry1::cry1:

?

hello, very recent my son looked at a few acres of land for sale that bordered the river Thames, including a nice weir, only problem no access for a motor, just a very long footpath, did not sell.

all of the above posts are correct , plenty of variation in prices , and every piece of woodland has pros and cons(and some have fun spoiling restrictions) , you just need to look at a few bits of woodland and buy the one that you fall in love with , and can afford.

pw has plenty of woodland owners that are extremely generous with their advice , and time .

you need to hurry up and buy that woodland with the pool dave , before i do :).

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Been to look at this wood and fishing pool for sale, it’s about fifteen minutes from me, the pool as got a lot of potential and the price is not to high….https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-55521873.html

You might be lucky, but be aware guide price can be on the low side. We went to see a wood that had a guide price of £25 - 30,000. A lot depends on who else is interested. We put an offer in, but the wood went for over £40,000.

We went with wood4sale eventually as they offer fixed price woods. Once you say you want it, it goes off market. Their descriptions have a section on covanents so you can check if it fits with what you want. You rarely can build on them, except an amenity shed which you arn't supposed to sleep in. To put up a shed you need council agreement which in Powys cost us £80 plus £20 to use their agreed map provider for plans which is compulsery. 

Sometimes its worth getting one without a pond if you can't get one with and getting planning permission for the pond later. We are hoping to do that with ours in a year or two.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, very recent my son looked at a few acres of land for sale that bordered the river Thames, including a nice weir, only problem no access for a motor, just a very long footpath, did not sell.

What about boat access and mooring.

Sometimes woods with river frontage have the fishing rights sold off which means someone else has access as well as the fishing. We rejected a few on river edges that had this as some belonged to fishing clubs which would have been tramping through the wood.

39 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

all of the above posts are correct , plenty of variation in prices , and every piece of woodland has pros and cons(and some have fun spoiling restrictions) , you just need to look at a few bits of woodland and buy the one that you fall in love with , and can afford.

pw has plenty of woodland owners that are extremely generous with their advice , and time .

you need to hurry up and buy that woodland with the pool dave , before i do .

Yep, you are right of course, but trying to convince my wife that I should spend 25k on my fishing and duck shooting is proving a little difficult.

I know the area well and the wood and pond is part of a game shoot, the pool pulls a lot of wild duck later in the season, the shoot put about 200 reared ducks on the pool and the wild ducks don’t come to the pool till they have been shot, as I said the pool and wood have lots of potential.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Yep, you are right of course, but trying to convince my wife that I should spend 25k on my fishing and duck shooting is proving a little difficult.

I know the area well and the wood and pond is part of a game shoot, the pool pulls a lot of wild duck later in the season, the shoot put about 200 reared ducks on the pool and the wild ducks don’t come to the pool till they have been shot, as I said the pool and wood have lots of potential.

You could sell the idea to your Mrs on amenity value. Camping if she likes that or even take a caravan up if its accessible, BBQ's, Children/Grandchildrens woodland picnics and somewhere to build dens. Dog walking without worrying about other peoples dogs. Somewhere to chill away from it all. Source of firewood if you have an open fire or log burner. Long term investment, ours is valued at, at least £6000 more than we paid for it 3 years ago. No inheritance tax either and no council tax.

Just an idea.  According to your age this can work well.   Look for a parcel of land which is not suitable for arable farming and not near horsy people because they will also want to acquire it.

It can be a scruffy area and if it has a bit of topography all the better.  Doing it this way you do not have any ties and it is yours lock stock and barrel fo course.

Then look at what grants are available for planting woodland but be careful there are no ties. Need not say steer clear of land with with footpaths on or adjacent.  I was very fortunate that my father left me 12 acres 9.9 acres of which was made up of three meadows. 20yrs ago I planted this area with 3800 poplars and 400 hazels plus various other trees, even some acorns pushed in the ground here and there.  The wood we have now is a joy. The poplars are 75-80ft high and I have harvested some to sell as firewood but the ash and oak trees originally in the hedgerows have seeded the area and we now have the makings of a fabulous conservation area ... saw signs of first muntie last week.  Flattend every tree rat for the past 10yrs and now we have a huge number of small birds, not only blackbirds and blue/great and coal tits, but nuthatch, treecreepers, goldfinches and this year has been a bonus year for chaffinch.

I planted the wood when I was 57yrs old and fortunately I am still fit enough to maintain it, albeit with occasional paid help. melB3 came and had a walk around when he was looking to buy some woodland and I believe will confirm that you can make your own wood with a little effort.  Mine also has two ponds which I put in.

DSCF1809 (800x600).jpg

DSCF1812 (800x600) (2).jpg

As others have said, woodland is an investment. Its an expensive outlay but it shouldn't depreciate in value. Land is expensive as we are becoming more crowded in this island and its not a commodity that you can make more of. It should always rise in value while offering an income through the value of the timber, whether for felling or firewood

Myself and lin were kindly invited by ,nev , and Yvonne and Andrew, to have a look around their woodlands before lin and myself took the plunge.  Both woodlands are great , yet totally different , you need to buy the one that really grabs you , you'll know it when you find it.

I looked at two woods that I really liked.

The first one had a pond that could have been turned into a cracking fishing pool , this fell through when it almost came to a fist fight with the bell end of a keeper in the wood next door , he told me that I wouldn't be able to shoot their even if I owned the sporting rights(he was full of poop), he also constantly tresspassed on another guys wood , even though the guy had spent a fortune putting up an 8ft deer fence up to keep the keeper out.

I also loved another wood at the side of the river avon (I desperately wanted this one), the fishing rights were owned by baa , but they had no access as the bank had collapsed, it also came with a 40 yard mooring , BUT, it was next to a piece of public land , the public land was being used for catching fish and cooking them on a bbq at the side of the river, the area was also littered with beer cans , and was being used as a public toilet. I just knew that as soon as I opened up access to the land , it would be a free for all. 

We eventually bought a complete wood so as to avoid the restrictive covenants that often come with buying parts of a larger woodland(the restrictions aren't really restrictive, they're just common sense and good manners really) ,we just wanted to avoid keeper issues etc.

6 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

You might be lucky, but be aware guide price can be on the low side. We went to see a wood that had a guide price of £25 - 30,000. A lot depends on who else is interested. We put an offer in, but the wood went for over £40,000.

We went with wood4sale eventually as they offer fixed price woods. Once you say you want it, it goes off market. Their descriptions have a section on covanents so you can check if it fits with what you want. You rarely can build on them, except an amenity shed which you arn't supposed to sleep in. To put up a shed you need council agreement which in Powys cost us £80 plus £20 to use their agreed map provider for plans which is compulsery. 

Sometimes its worth getting one without a pond if you can't get one with and getting planning permission for the pond later. We are hoping to do that with ours in a year or two.

What about boat access and mooring.

Sometimes woods with river frontage have the fishing rights sold off which means someone else has access as well as the fishing. We rejected a few on river edges that had this as some belonged to fishing clubs which would have been tramping through the wood.

hello, it was near Gafton lock ? realy not sure on moorings, did not sell for reason of no access,

My wife and I bought a two acre plot of a 75 acre woodland that was being broken up into lots two months ago, it’s in south west Wales and we paid £9500 for it. It’s bordered in one side by a road and on the other three sides by woodland tracks made up of hardcore. There’s a lot of mature grand fir on the plot along with a mix of hazel, beech and oak around the periphery, one section has a dense patch of ash saplings and there are a few very young oaks that were planted from acorns a couple of years ago.

It has good access from the adjacent road (gated and padlocked) with a bit of hard standing for us to plonk a caravan on, no public footpaths through the plot or public access through the network of tracks but the other woodland lot owners have rights over the tracks. No restriction on the shooting rights (not that two acres is much anyway), no restriction on submitting for planning permission.

A friend of ours has 13 acres in the same woodland and an acquaintance has another 5 so it was a bit of a no brainier for us. Meant the missus didn’t get a newer car and we didn’t put money towards the mortgage overpayment but this opportunity seemed like more fun!