Holiday reading

Mungler

Ok so it’s that time of year again.

Now then, in previous years I’ve taken recommendations off here on what to stick on the kindle and get into by the side of the pool and to be fair the recommendations have all been spot on.

Indeed I always thought that the McNab and Ryan books were for Walting loons and only got into them relatively recently (following high praise on here) and I’ve found them gripping - ok having read all the McNab and Ryan stuff I can see the early stuff was good and the later stuff is now running on the vapours...

So then, recommend away - what books have gripped you? I also like a decent autobiography as long as it’s not a footballer or Janet Street Porter (yeah someone left that in the Villa one year, I read it and she is as unremarkable and unlikeable in her book as she is in real life).

Cheers all!

Have a look at Devon C Ford's books , there's the 'After it happened' series ,about a global pandemic, set in the UK ,it's a a bit survivalist, military,rebuild society type of thing.

Or the first of his 'New Earth ' series ,ARC , asteroid strike thing.

Best bit , they're all free to read on Kindle.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Tim Severin's nordic trilogy - Oddin's child, Sworn Brother, and King's Man.

I've read the first, it took a long time to get going his style of writing is certainly not to rush but I'm looking forward to starting the second.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

I've read the first, it took a long time to get going his style of writing is certainly not to rush but I'm looking forward to starting the second.

The Third is probably the best but you get a lot more from it if you have read 1 and 2 although it is complete in itself.

I've got all three so two is next.

31 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The Third is probably the best but you get a lot more from it if you have read 1 and 2 although it is complete in itself.

Jonny Wilkinson and Barry McGuigan are good autobiographys so long as you like rugby union and boxing, and American sniper if you haven't read it.

Try the jack reacher books.

Noah Boyds the bricklayer books are good. 

Scott Mariano books are good reads for holidays. 

The Ben Hope series of books are a decent enough read to while away a few hours. 

Mith Rapp the CIAs own assassin are nice and easy going. 

I don’t  like anything to heavy going for holiday reads, I like to keep putting the book down and doing other things so it needs to be easy reading so I don’t have to keep re reading bits. 

For fast action thrillers ,any of the jack reacher books . Made me laugh ,jack reacher the hero is 6feet 6inches tall and weighs 240 pounds of solid muscle . Who did they get to portray him in the film ,none other than Tom cruise . Ruined the film for me .

harnse r

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Anything ( but pref in order of writing) by Stephen Leather 

Good call. :good:

If you're into modern fantasy writing, The Iron Druid Chronicles, slightly humerous and very enjoyable. I read the first one a few weeks ago and I'm currently reading book eight.

Ranulph Fiennes autobiography is an entertaining read.

Stephen Hunter Bob Lee Swagger "trilogy" - Point of Impact, Dirty White Boys, Black Light, Time to Hunt. DWB isn't strictly speaking a Swagger book but it is designed to be read atfter POI.

And as he very recently died. Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot, Geoffrey Wellum's "First Light".

The jack reacher books are good. Easy to read and although not challenging they’re entertaining. I quite like them as audio books for when I’m trucking up and down the country on my own. Kerry Shale reads them the best  

Tom Cruise has got to be the worst Jack Reacher going! I always thought Jason Statham would be a good Reacher. 

The wife’s bought me a book by Greg Hurwitz called Hellbent that isn’t a bad read so far over the first few chapters. 

Somme mud by EPF LYNCH. Aussie infantrymans diary of the first world war. Gripping funny harrowing but unputdownable.

First light by Geoffrey Wellum.

Youngest spitfire pilot to fight in the battle of Britain.  Past away only last week at 96. One the best accounts of both dogfights and ground life during early ww2.

Both relatively short books but will stay with you for a long time after.