.408 Cheytac

The Mighty Prawn

Popped into the local gun shop for a mooch through the used stock only to find a ridiculous cannon has centre stage in the gun room. This monster looked similar to the Barrett .50 but was .408 Cheytac, a calibre new to me

i have no need for such a gun, I couldn’t afford to load such a gun, somehow I want such a gun...

wonder if the .50 ban comes in whether those guys will move onto this? 

Btw the bolt is about a foot long and the barrel nearly as thick as my wrist! Gun shop reckon £6.50 a bang for reloading

11 minutes ago, fister said:

I had one a few years ago for a review. They are what they are and unless you have masses of space, not really anything of great use except for ELR stuff. I think £6.50 a bang might be on the low side as you are more than likely going to want to shoot machined homogenous high BC bulletes in the 0.9+ arena . These 40’s have lower muzzle energy than 50 cal but are ballistically superior, similarly with the 375 version but the complex high bc bulets are very long and can get seriously tricky with transonic flight speeds and simpler old school tangent ogive 50 cal stuff may be easier to live with and show more trace in flight for your spotter. Ah the joys of many a wasted hour tinkering lol. Id rather shoot 223 at 500 metres personally.

Very technical ! But surely, what we're talking about here is a rifle capable of consistently putting in good groups on plates a mile and a half away, it's big, it goes BOOM! and there are but few of us with a bit of 'boyhood' in us that wouldn't love to have a go :lol:

58 minutes ago, fister said:

I had one a few years ago for a review. They are what they are and unless you have masses of space, not really anything of great use except for ELR stuff. I think £6.50 a bang might be on the low side as you are more than likely going to want to shoot machined homogenous high BC bulletes in the 0.9+ arena . These 40’s have lower muzzle energy than 50 cal but are ballistically superior, similarly with the 375 version but the complex high bc bulets are very long and can get seriously tricky with transonic flight speeds and simpler old school tangent ogive 50 cal stuff may be easier to live with and show more trace in flight for your spotter. Ah the joys of many a wasted hour tinkering lol. Id rather shoot 223 at 500 metres personally.

I remember at Catton saying I only understand about half of what you write but I think with the above it’s about 20% ? I’m glad we have people like you to do all the grown up stuff so we can make Big Bang at weekends!

regarding the ammo, I noticed you get 100 rounds included with the bargain £8500 price tag (gun only) so that’s a start!