HMR17 what is the normal accuracy.

muncher

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, try the Hornady and then it down to the nut behind the wheel.   I shoot a standard CZ 455 and if I have not drank to much coffee and had a good night sleep the rifle will shoot a ragged hole at a 100

I see folks saying the likes of that quite a bit. How do you have the rifle when you do it? Held firm on a bench?

I am by no way having a go, but I'm genuinely curious (and bloody envious!!) of such shooting. When I zero my rifles they are on my Harris bipod. I'm either stood with rifle on Defender bonnet, or sat with rifle on the ground (bipod is the largest telescopic Harris do). Best I can get @ 100yds is to group about 2.5-3 inches, so about a rabbits head. I know the rifle (CZ452 Varmint in HMR) can do better, but I can not... not that I'm really fussed - I know I will hit and kill at the range... I'd be happy with the grouping in the 2nd pic - I'd just be hoping to move it to the centre.

Usually I am sitting in one of my cabins shooting off a 'table' built around the sides  The tables well wide shelves really, have soft padded surfaces( floor pads from Aldi). I have my good days and bad days but the rifle doesn't have that problem and as said if I am in steady form that result is what I would expect.   The rifle is capable of shooting far better than I can.    I once had an automatic trigger release where I could sandbag a rifle set on target and have it fire without any human contact. That destroyed my soul because I knew the groups I was personally shooting where due my input. I try to shoot relaxed and only with a very gentle grip...unless it is my 375JDJ and that needs controlling or it will bite you...these days my big problem is slowing my heart rate as I can actually see it beating as the reticule moves with each beat.....never did that 40 years ago.  The big thing is knowing exactly where that cross hair was when the sear breaks and being able to call the shot and forgetting all else. If your thinking about the trigger you will funk it in my view. Foxes and rabbits don't have bulls eyes on them do they?

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

By no means an expert on the .17hmr but my Annie will shoot one hole ragged groups at 100 yards - occasional flyer but most likely me - if you buy a box of Hornady and they seem to cure the problem then go back and buy as many as you can from the same batch/dealer.

Yes, with all rim fires buy a batch of 500 all with the same batch number.

14 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

By no means an expert on the .17hmr but my Annie will shoot one hole ragged groups at 100 yards - occasional flyer but most likely me - if you buy a box of Hornady and they seem to cure the problem then go back and buy as many as you can from the same batch/dealer.

Ditto for mates Sako .17HMR. A real tackdriver.

My t bolt will now group well within an inch at 100 yards with Hornady . I had a bit of trouble but think I have figured it out now.

i lightened the trigger, made the barrel completely free floating but filing away some of the composit stock and I put a pull through down it after every box of 50.

i think the free floating bit is the most important as since I've done this I'm now getting some touching groups.

Cheers for the replies (sorry if I hijacked thread!).

I can't really guarantee I'm aiming the same place every time. Everything moves from pulling the trigger through to pulling trigger again. I just try and have the cross over the centre of the target...

But, I'm not shooting comps just pest control so aslong as I'm consistently hitting where I want to be it's all I'm interested in.

12 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Cheers for the replies (sorry if I hijacked thread!).

I can't really guarantee I'm aiming the same place every time. Everything moves from pulling the trigger through to pulling trigger again. I just try and have the cross over the centre of the target...

But, I'm not shooting comps just pest control so aslong as I'm consistently hitting where I want to be it's all I'm interested in.

No you didn't hijack the thread, with people saying they head shoot rabbits at 150 yards I thought with the group s I'm getting I will miss at those ranges more than I hit. I know I'm probably not a good shot but I was hoping for a bit better using bipod and sandbags .

33 minutes ago, muncher said:

No you didn't hijack the thread, with people saying they head shoot rabbits at 150 yards I thought with the group s I'm getting I will miss at those ranges more than I hit. I know I'm probably not a good shot but I was hoping for a bit better using bipod and sandbags .

IMO your 2nd picture - that grouping is pretty decent (ignoring the 1 stray which went high!!). I just happen to have a 10p and a ruler to hand - 10p is 1inch diameter which means your group is under 2inches @ 100yards. That is head shot bunnies all day long. The only thing I'd want to do is get it on centre as you are low and to the left.

.My Browning T Bolt will do 3/4" to1" as 100 yards consistently off the bench and from there I stopped worrying as its easily a bunnies head at that range. Much beyond that and I cant reliably hit bunnies heads anyway in field conditions as most of my shooting is done walking round my permissions so its generally off sticks either standing or kneeling.

I don't know what you were shooting before you got the HMR but when I got my rimfires and then centrefires coming from airguns and club shooting I got a bit obsessed with group size.

However a couple of people more knowledgeable than me pointed out that if your after rabbits the general size of their bonce is 2" so that's what you need to hit at the common distances you need to shoot at with the HMR. Any decent head hit and its curtains for mr bunny. For foxes and up the calibres go up a bit and so does the kill area to an extent. For me if my rifles with hold an inch at 100 yards that will do for me as long as I do my job which most of the time is the deciding factor.  

PS I don't know what it is with Winchester ammo but I found that it was much poorer than Hornaday! 

Edited by Zetter

The 17HMR is well capable of out shooting most of us. I put on here some time ago an incident with a grey tree rat taunting me at the other end of a 200yrd ride through a wood. Eventually I got mad and set the hairs just above its ears and squeezed one off. It was like everyhting went into slow motion as the tree rat did a back flip and never twitched. It was sat at 190yrds.

Down to the the rifle not me. I did have a custom built shooting rack on the truck to shoot off, pure luck as my heart was 'clicking' the cross hairs back and forth three times the width of its head. The bullet hit it in the base of the neck/gullet. 

Certainly one of, if not my favorite calibre to shoot.

Anyone want to buy some Winchester 17HMR? No ? Well I wouldn't sell it to you , its only fit for plinking , because its so inconsistent, and some dont

even fire . 

The Hornady from CZ452, will  produce good groups at 75 yards, and I don't shoot anything further away than 75 yards , as through any of the scopes I own 

at full magnification a rabbit is the size of a garden pea held at arms length.  My limitations , not the rifles.