No more Cabelas bargains thanks to the EU

grahamch

Just tried to order some waist waders from Cabelas to find at checkout they no longer ship to EU addresses due the costs of complying with the new GDPR.

Another aspect of our life ruined by the euro tossers. Guess we will have to suffer rip off uk prices now.

Edited by grahamch

You should be OK ...I think the NAFTA thing is still up and running and not been Trumped. To be honest with postage and tax/vat if charged you don't save a huge amount but Cabela's labeled clothes for one are very well made. I still have work shirts I have had for 15 -20yrs which have been washed 100s of times and are just starting to fray.  US  shirts always seem to have grown up sleave lengths unlike Chinese made check shirts you buy here.  I have three bib and brace camo overalls again washed numerous times in sequence and they are just starting to wear through at the knees after ten years or more.

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

As I understand it most Cabalas stuff is made in China now?......Trump may well reverse this in the near future?

Still quite a bit made in the USA but that which is made overseas is closely monitored for quality. If you have never been to one of their stores and are visiting the USA then make a detour and have a day there.  Leave your plastic card at home though.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Still quite a bit made in the USA but that which is made overseas is closely monitored for quality. If you have never been to one of their stores and are visiting the USA then make a detour and have a day there.  Leave your plastic card at home though.

Just editited my post Nev as you were posting! But check it out!

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cabela's and Bass Pro are both Excellent Stores - I've been shooting in Texas with friends a few times. - when the airline lost my case - I got clothes there everything from the boots upwards.

The stores are epic and at Grapevine - DFW, the store has a mock mountain with large taxidermy deer at the base, sheep and bear on the way up and a float plane suspended from the ceiling above it. At the base there was a river with fish and live ducks flew around the interior of the store. 

They literally had everything you could want for the outdoors. I'[m also a fan of their clothes and wrinkle free travel shirts, if we cant buy from them by post, then I will be damned annoyed. The sooner we are out of the EU the better!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Just editited my post Nev as you were posting! But check it out!

Yep, agreed,  as is a lot of other stuff we buy around the world...just purchased some superb Melamine crockery from Lakeland ...made in China.  Stuff made there is now closley monitored for manufactured quality by companies such as Cabela's and Lakeland, their reputation rests on it. 

The sooner we get out of the corrupt EU the better and decide for ourselves, who we do business with.

To blame this on the EU is nonsense. Yes, of course it is the EU that wrote the GDPR legislation...BUT...the UK Brexit or no-Brexit was committed to introducimg such legislation and has committed itself to retaining it. Quite simply put Cabela's, like many, is simply using some supposed effect of EU law to stop selling to the UK. The UK is a fraction of Cabela's market, same as the UK is a fraction of a percentage of Ruger's market. Ruger have chosen to still sell here, as have Federal, Remington, Lee, RCBS, Etc., Etc.. The excuse from Cabela's is BS in truth. They wanted not to have the bother of selling to the UK and have used this as a convenient diversionary tactic.

46 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

To blame this on the EU is nonsense. Yes, of course it is the EU that wrote the GDPR legislation...BUT...the UK Brexit or no-Brexit was committed to introducimg such legislation and has committed itself to retaining it. Quite simply put Cabela's, like many, is simply using some supposed effect of EU law to stop selling to the UK. The UK is a fraction of Cabela's market, same as the UK is a fraction of a percentage of Ruger's market. Ruger have chosen to still sell here, as have Federal, Remington, Lee, RCBS, Etc., Etc.. The excuse from Cabela's is BS in truth. They wanted not to have the bother of selling to the UK and have used this as a convenient diversionary tactic.

Maybe so but it still means we cant get gear at reasonable prices from the USA and will get ripped off here.

On 21/07/2018 at 21:46, grahamch said:

Just tried to order some waist waders from Cabelas to find at checkout they no longer ship to EU addresses due the costs of complying with the new GDPR.

Another aspect of our life ruined by the euro tossers. Guess we will have to suffer rip off uk prices now.

i wonder if Cabelas will sell after March 2019 when its not the EU's fault ? less then 6000 hrs left to find out 

of course they wont as the UK has a new data protection bill http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/pdfs/ukpga_20180012_en.pdf and if they cant comply with GDPR they may struggle to comply this one either.

Blaming GDPR is just an excuse 

• 2 weeks later...

Cabelas will use any old excuse to avoid shipping internationally direct to an 'end-user' from their US stores. Too many international contracts with suppliers and stockists to protect I suspect.  One example of a refusal I've had from them was the (failed) purchase of a Buck knife.  Any number of US suppliers are more than happy to take your money and ship knives, but Cabelas declined by saying that it was illegal to export weapons from the USA ! Firstly, they (as outdoors fitters and suppliers) should know that a knife is a tool, NOT a weapon. Secondly, I found that a bit rich coming from a country where both the economy and the political structure are massively influenced by a combination of international oil and weapons production.

So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Good advice given above r.e. credit cards when visiting though ... Caned mine severely on a trip to Bass Pro (Outdoor World) when in Florida a few years back. So much so I ended up having to buy an extra case to bring home all my booty in, and then had to pay for it as excess baggage :lol:

On 23/07/2018 at 18:57, enfieldspares said:

Exactly. I want GDPR legislation EU or not. Cabela's is as you say BS. 

On 23/07/2018 at 19:44, grahamch said:

Maybe so but it still means we cant get gear at reasonable prices from the USA and will get ripped off here.

Yep we should get rid of this capitalist system it's not competitive. 

6 hours ago, Longstrider said:

Cabelas will use any old excuse to avoid shipping internationally direct to an 'end-user' from their US stores. Too many international contracts with suppliers and stockists to protect I suspect.  One example of a refusal I've had from them was the (failed) purchase of a Buck knife.  Any number of US suppliers are more than happy to take your money and ship knives, but Cabelas declined by saying that it was illegal to export weapons from the USA ! Firstly, they (as outdoors fitters and suppliers) should know that a knife is a tool, NOT a weapon. Secondly, I found that a bit rich coming from a country where both the economy and the political structure are massively influenced by a combination of international oil and weapons production.

So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Good advice given above r.e. credit cards when visiting though ... Caned mine severely on a trip to Bass Pro (Outdoor World) when in Florida a few years back. So much so I ended up having to buy an extra case to bring home all my booty in, and then had to pay for it as excess baggage :lol:

You have had a result mate , I’ve had a buck knife that was used and abused for twenty odd years until i dropped it and the gut hook snapped off , luckily a pal flys over the pond on a weekly basis and picked me up a new one ...not the same knife , poorly made nothing quite lined up , definitely not the same quality as the American original.