This can't be true surely....

kennett

Just noticed my Hilux is scrubbing a front tyre, dropped into Kwik fit on the way to some where else and apparently they can't adjust it because I have a reversing camera!! Its a not a snazzy one with parking aids, or anything like that, it's just a fish eye lense pretty much looking at the towball. What on earth difference could a couple of mm tracking change on the front do to a reversing camera?!

35 minutes ago, B725 said:

Lots of car's now have reversing cameras so on that basis they can't do any of these either. Did they say why? 

That's what I thought! Allegedly because they don't have the software to adjust the camera, which is built in to the tail gate and doesnt look adjustable...and what possible difference could a few mm of adjustment on a front wheel make to a camera 10ft away?!

We have this problem with our vans. A lot of companies assume the reversing camera is geared into the steering (its supposed to move slightly when you turn the wheel aids parking allegedly)

They say they can adjust the tracking but cannot adjust the camera to match the alterations.

Sounds a load of bowlax to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2018 at 13:26, kennett said:

That's what I thought! Allegedly because they don't have the software to adjust the camera, which is built in to the tail gate and doesnt look adjustable...and what possible difference could a few mm of adjustment on a front wheel make to a camera 10ft away?!

Do you have the lines on the camera that show you where the car is going based on the steering angle? 

I dont know about hiluxes but bmws etc have lines that move as you move the steering wheel showing you where the car will end up if you keep reversing. Those need calibrated if you do steering adjustment. But their suspension is much more complicated than a hilux as it has a fixed rear axle that can’t be adjusted. 

15 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Do you have the lines on the camera that show you where the car is going based on the steering angle? 

I dont know about hiluxes but bmws etc have lines that move as you move the steering wheel showing you where the car will end up if you keep reversing. Those need calibrated if you do steering adjustment. But their suspension is much more complicated than a hilux as it has a fixed rear axle that can’t be adjusted. 

No it doesn't have any fancy pants parking lines, but I'm guessing that's what they were on about. Any way, took to a big independent place down the road and they did it no questions asked!

Ah, but you cant get thicker than a quick fit fitter.

My daughters old fiesta failed its mot on two weeping rear shock absorbers,  so I replaced them with good Monroe units.

Three months later , she is back at uni, gets a puncture and goes to QF,

Who tell her after fixing the tyre , that the car was unsafe to drive really as the rear shocks were knackered.?????

I rang the manager of the depot , who insisted his fitter was right

.She drove away , I drove the 40 miles the next evening to inspect these so called knackered units , and guess??????

They were fine , no leaks, nothing .  They saw a young lady , and thought they could worry/ con her into spending money

unnecessarily. 

On 06/08/2018 at 23:06, bostonmick said:

I was asked once if I wanted my new tyres filled with nitrogen a couple of pound per tyre. I said I would if they showed me how they extracted the air that was in the tyre to ensure the tyres were only nitrogen filled. I left with good old fashioned Air in them. 

Air is 78% nitrogen anyway, your tyres are mostly filled with good old fashioned nitrogen anyhow, it's just the other 22% you have to worry about. 

luckily they didn't extract any more % money from your wallet. 

I was in an ATS in Port Talbot a few years ago when scrap was really high and an old lady came in who's car wouldn't start - flat battery. They sold her a new battery for some extortionate amount and then they were going to charge her £8 to dispose of the old one - this was when I was getting £12/old 644 batteries from the scrappy. 

I told her not to do it and paid her a tenner for her battery, I even got the guy to lift it into my van!! 

Robbing ********.