Barnul .308 Ammo

I bought 100 Barnul .308 ammo from HPS and had a chance to try some today. Its 140grn soft point , silver coloured steel case and it cost £38 / 100.

twelve rounds fired at 200 yards today with a heavy heat mirage gave about a 4" group with one flier that could have been me, but I wasn't trying over hard either, just banging them down range really with the sun beating down on my back. The cases ejected faultlessly.

Not very scientific but at that price / performance the ammo is good enough for most applications and for a club shooter, its literally half price.

Im going back to give it a bit more demanding run through but it is definitely in the ball park 

17 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've heard good reports about this brand of ammunition, and intend trying it once I've bought my .308 rifle, which will be for range use. I did intend reloading this caliber, but at that price, and quality, I'm not going to bother.

Don't buy to much up front.

I have used this in .308 and .223, my rifles were not happy with it, its military ammo, whatever else they want to call it, it even looks Russian Military.  I was nowhere near 4" at 200, can't honestly remember, but I suspect about 12".

PRVI delivers FAR better for me, but roughly twice the cost of Barnaul, still cheap, but if you are up for range use in your .308 NEITHER work for anything except a bang and a bit of fun. :good:

8 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Don't buy to much up front.

I have used this in .308 and .223, my rifles were not happy with it, its military ammo, whatever else they want to call it, it even looks Russian Military.  I was nowhere near 4" at 200, can't honestly remember, but I suspect about 12".

PRVI delivers FAR better for me, but roughly twice the cost of Barnaul, still cheap, but if you are up for range use in your .308 NEITHER work for anything except a bang and a bit of fun. :good:

When I get the rifle, I'll try a box or two and if it's not suitable for the rifle, will probably reload.

• 1 month later...

Had another chance to use it today in a proper target rifle off a rest at 200 yds. Its definitely plenty accurate enough for deer and probably foxes too,  but not v-bull accurate which would be sub  2" at 200 yds. My original assessment of 4" seems about right but this ammo is £38/100 and you can shoot all day for very little expenditure.

Its ideal for shooting in a new barrel, sighting in new scopes (for perhaps finer tuning later), training novices or just having a blast. Also its clean, loads and ejects fine. Some of the old problems with steel cased ammo seem to have been consigned to history. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:20, sle said:

Were can I get this stuff to try ?

HPS sell it

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:15, brian derwen fawr said:

i am looking for a supply of nato surplus 7.62 ammo,anybody got any information.thanks

You sound Welsh, where are you?  Parabellum Consulting are worth a look, Brian Llewellyn (Pro Shoot)  or HPS just over the border

Edited by Vince Green