Bayonets....

moor man

One on the left is a French Chassepot sword bayonet, described as 'Yataghan' because of the shape of the blade. I have one of these, all be it without the scabbard. I think mine was made in 1871 if I remember correctly. The arsenal/place of manufacture along with the date is engraved onto the flat edge. It can be difficult to see depending on how the blade has aged. I don't think they're particularly rare. I picked mine up at auction some time in the last 10 years and paid I think £36 including the premium. 

On the right is I believe a 1907 Enfield bayonet though I could be wrong! Both are worth more with scabbards than without and obviously dependent on condition.

The sword bayonets make quite nice display pieces, I have a Gras one as well which I think was the model that came after the Chassepot.

Hopefully this gives you enough info to do some research into current values!

One on left is a Yataghan; you'll find plenty of examples and prices online. Ditto for the other, which is from WW1 vintage and designed to fit the SMLE service rifle of the day. ~Some were made by Wilkinson Sword ( as are mine ) and command higher prices. Both are very desirable but not rare, and complete with scabbards and frogs are all the more so  collectible. 

I see HW95J has beaten me to it. 

Edited by Scully

On 23/07/2018 at 16:56, moor man said:

20180723_162940.jpg.622aa705a1939adf88d12b4da82ed8ec.jpgAnyone know anything about these bayonets? A friend is selling them to generate some cash, quite fancy one but no idea about their value.

I've got similar to the one on the right but mines a remington and dated 1918. It's in fantastic condition. A mate at work gave it to me as I hunt and he though it might come in use!

Edited by storm in a teacup
Didn't know my right from left

4 hours ago, storm in a teacup said:

I've got similar to the one on the right but mines a remington and dated 1918. It's in fantastic condition. A mate at work gave it to me as I hunt and he though it might come in use!

could be this  from the great war forum.... scarce Remington factory error bayonet caused by the production date of 1918 being set for stamping as the ' Pattern ' date, so instead on the bayonet ricasso reading the usual ' 1917 ' for the pattern date, this bayonet shows ' 1918 ' as the Pattern date.

Once the error was discovered, it was immediately corrected, however a small number of Pattern 1917 Remington bayonets were produced with the Pattern ' 1918 ' error date shown on the riscasso.

does it have 2 slots across grips? as remington did make p07 bayonets for the uk during ww1 as well

Edited by AULD YIN
add on info

2 hours ago, muffin said:

I have a Bayonet looks like WW 1 in photo always thought it was WW 2 not being an expert in these things what is the difference no scabbard though Sparkie  any use to you

can ya post a pic ideally wanted one with scabbard.... its to go on my 1918 smle

10 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

could be this  from the great war forum.... scarce Remington factory error bayonet caused by the production date of 1918 being set for stamping as the ' Pattern ' date, so instead on the bayonet ricasso reading the usual ' 1917 ' for the pattern date, this bayonet shows ' 1918 ' as the Pattern date.

Once the error was discovered, it was immediately corrected, however a small number of Pattern 1917 Remington bayonets were produced with the Pattern ' 1918 ' error date shown on the riscasso.

does it have 2 slots across grips? as remington did make p07 bayonets for the uk during ww1 as well

Here's the pic of it.

FB_IMG_1532515016075.jpg

12 hours ago, storm in a teacup said:

Here's the pic of it.

FB_IMG_1532515016075.jpg

It was probably a home guard issue for the p14 or p17  in the early 40s , muzzle ring was a fair bit further from the grip than the 07,any smle's the home guard had were returned to stores  so the army  all had  303 and the home guard 30-06 i think ,unless they had been issued  with the 303 ross rifle , thats as far as i remember but getting worse the older i get