How would you shoot this, it at all

ips

IMG_20180722_173356.jpg

IMG_20180722_173530.jpg

Standing barley, nothing laid. The meadow is about twenty acres to the left of the pic, large wood in front, field to the rear with another wood. Birds flight between woods and from wood to wood. 

So how would you approach this scenario. Shoot as a flight line or decoy somehow ??

Edited by ips

motty is yer man for this...or PC....

if it were me ...i would put a magnet (dead birds) 20 yds into the barley field and 20 odd deeks...on the grass ...make your hide up near the gate.....early morn...or late afternoon...

be interesting to see what other folk surgest..............

Edited by ditchman

Thank you.

This is the view the other way taken fourty yards to the left of the gate in first pic, as you can see the meadow is only about 150yds wide at this point and the land behind me on first pic is not my perm (the wood on pic 1 is mine as is the meadow and the barley field, obviously) so i need to be shooting towards / over the barley. I don't want to go in the barley if i can help it and nor do i want my cocker in there unless its essential ie a runner.

IMG_20180722_162845.jpg

hello, 2 bouncers in the verge barley side, some deeks on the fence posts and as ditchman said some deeks in the field, get in the shade with camo net barley side by gate if allowed and dont forget some cool drinks, this time of year i use a cool bag with ice pack for food but am a tea drinker:rolleyes:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Are you saying that the pigeons are only flighting between woods and not feeding on the barley?

No there on the standing barley, not in this specific area of the crop but because there is nothing laid ithe meadow is all i have to work with, there isnt even any significant tram lines 

44 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 2 bouncers in the verge barley side, some deeks on the fence posts and as ditchman said some deeks in the field, get in the shade with camo net barley side by gate if allowed and dont forget some cool drinks, this time of year i use a cool bag with ice pack for food but am a tea drinker

That sounds like it could work but i will need to shoot from other side of field to the gate in order to ensure a safe shot fall. See pic..

Ps thats in shade too ?

IMG_20180723_183442.jpg

I would attempt to decoys the grass. It would help your chances if the pigeons were actually feeding in the very near vicinity of your set up. If there is plenty of traffic, you should get a few shots, regardless. Good luck.

Hmmmm???  Tricky.   Which way is the prevailing wind is one question.   Looking at the photos I think I would set my hide by the gate in the shade if possible.  Decoys on the posts and one or two in the field and if the wind is from barley to grass then a couple of floaters in the grass field. Kill 'em over the grass as they come in.  Pick your shots accordingly.

Shouldn't think that barley will be standing much longer anyway.

Yes to grass, done similar a couple of times, loads of decoys on the grass, not too many on the fences and defo not directly under the likely flight path onto the killing spot amongst the decoys. A flapper or whirly well up wind ahead of the pattern if the wind blows from grass field towards barley but prob do without either if wind blowing the other way. 

Thank you gentlemen.

As for wind, from past experience of shooting drillings on this part of the crop field it usually blows from the grass to the crop straight through both woods. Hasnt been any wind lately however so things may have changed.

PS

Farmer reckons crop is poor and a while off being cut.

PPS

Had a recce yesterday evening birds were on rape stubble which was being harvested at the time however other end of my field i watched a few dozen take off from the standing barley then drop in again so they are definitely hitting this crop

Edited by ips