Canada Geese.

Having been asked to remove Canada Geese from one of my permissions and after reading the GL throughout l'm still a little confused, l know they are classed as vermin and the amount of mess they are leaving is disgusting for all concerned, so which of the following do the PW members consider viable.

1, Can l just shoot them wholesale.

2, Do l have to define under which clause l am shooting them.

3, Or just get on with it ?

Advice and guidance great fully excepted.

It isn't often hard to find a clause under the GL to shoot them.  Otherwise they have a season and are protected, so shooting for the hell of it doesn't work!

.22lr is certainly capable but you need to be accurate with your shot.

The majority of mine are headshot with the HMR if I'm after food (yes I do eat them, but I'm selective) and the rest are shot with WMR, frankly you can shoot them pretty much wherever you like with the WMR and they fall down!

1 hour ago, greylag said:

Shooting with a rifle? I hope there was no lead in the bullets.Canada geese are classed as wildfowl and non toxic shot must be used.

Put crudely the lead regs only apply to scatter guns (lead SHOT) not single projectiles!

:good:

5 hours ago, Dekers said:

It isn't often hard to find a clause under the GL to shoot them.  Otherwise they have a season and are protected, so shooting for the hell of it doesn't work!

The majority of mine are headshot with the HMR if I'm after food (yes I do eat them, but I'm selective) and the rest are shot with WMR, frankly you can shoot them pretty much wherever you like with the WMR and they fall down!

Agreed. Don't shoot them in the body with HMR.

One of my perms has around 150 Canada and greylag all year round the farmer plays hell about them..he's forever saying get as many as you can of thm. They decimate the fields and been a dairy farm his grass is mega valuable to him. I was going to get at them with the .223.

7 minutes ago, Neil23 said:

One of my perms has around 150 Canada and greylag all year round the farmer plays hell about them..he's forever saying get as many as you can of thm. They decimate the fields and been a dairy farm his grass is mega valuable to him. I was going to get at them with the .223.

Go for it, don't expect to be able to shoot them all, you will get a few day after day but then they may get the message and move on!

Alternatively you might do better in the flightless season, usually pretty much all of June, capture/cull.

They can be an absolute menace, and seem to be taking over the world, I believe Australia now has what could be termed a shoot on sight policy, and whilst assorted birds cause aircraft issues, it was actually Canada Geese that brought down Flight 1459 into the Hudson a few years back!

4 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Go for it, don't expect to be able to shoot them all, you will get a few day after day but then they may get the message and move on!

Alternatively you might do better in the flightless season, usually pretty much all of June, capture/cull.

They can be an absolute menace, and seem to be taking over the world, I believe Australia now has what could be termed a shoot on sight policy, and whilst assorted birds cause aircraft issues, it was actually Canada Geese that brought down Flight 1459 into the Hudson a few years back!

Or theye definitely a menace I've shot the land around 6-7 year now and thay been his no1 problem frm day 1.

On 28 July 2018 at 10:04, Dekers said:

Classed as vermin and open to shoot all year are they not.

On 28 July 2018 at 15:35, oowee said:

Agreed. Don't shoot them in the body with HMR.

HMR stops them wherever they are hit, head or chest.

On 28 July 2018 at 18:33, Dekers said:

Been getting 2/3 per session and then they run and boy can they run.

On 28 July 2018 at 20:56, ClemFandango said:

the breasts make good burgers if you have a mincer, no matter if they are tough as old boots then either. 

Friend tried them, reckons they tasted of fishy pond water, ferrets enjoyed them though.

17 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Classed as vermin and open to shoot all year are they not.

There seems to be some confusion here, yes they can be shot ALL year, but not for the hell of it.  You MUST shoot them in Season or under one of the GL Conditions.

31 minutes ago, Dekers said:

There seems to be some confusion here, yes they can be shot ALL year, but not for the hell of it.  You MUST shoot them in Season or under one of the GL Conditions.

Oh yes l understand that, being shot under GL conditions ?

1 minute ago, oowee said:

No it doesn't. Tried it a couple of times. 

All l can say is that the one's shot by myself with the HMR have collapsed on the spot.

21 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

All l can say is that the one's shot by myself with the HMR have collapsed on the spot.

Maybe so but i shoot quite a few and with body shots even at 50m there have been some fliers. The round can break up before it gets to the vitals. I am sure they are dead but if i have to get some I would take the C/f.

Guys, I have used FAC Air/.22LR/HMR/WMR/Centrefires/shotgun on the Canada and they can all work.

.22lr is not my first choice for Canada geese but needs must at times, I use HMR simply because it has a tiny bit better accuracy over my WMR, so when I want them head shot for the table it is my first choice.

The WMR is just great, it works almost wherever you put it and is my go to gun for Pest Control on Canadas.        The HMR and .22LR both work as well, but my experience tells me you have to be a bit more particular where you put it.

The Quills in those feathers/wings which can easily wrap round the back and sides of the bird, can actually work like armor.   That "can" cause issue with some calibers/ammo, however, if the shot threads it's way through them there will be no issue.

On the other hand the WMR doesn't seem to worry!

Whatever works for you, crack on!

Edited by Dekers

On 28/07/2018 at 18:17, Neil23 said:

For the Greylag you will have to apply Natural England for a out of Season License which if successful will only be for the field of Damage and the use of 20ga 16ga or 12 ga shotgun using not toxic shot

11 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

For the Greylag you will have to apply Natural England for a out of Season License which if successful will only be for the field of Damage and the use of 20ga 16ga or 12 ga shotgun using not toxic shot

Yes he said that about getting a permit for the graylag he was going to see about. As far as the particular field of damage on the license I think that will be news to him and not much use when it's most of his lower lying fields that are getting hit by them. One small field last year I can remember him saying  was getting used by the geese quite a lot, he normally gets 2-3 large trailer loads when he does his first cut for silage and he got 18" in the bottom of one trailer.