Is this true?

Scully

Have just been informed by a friend that legislation has been passed today, and with immediate effect, that anyone caught using a mobile phone or handheld satnav whilst the engine of their vehicle is running, will immediately lose their license for 3 months. 

Anyone confirm this? 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, she's an insurance broker. 

Ah. My apologies to the insurance broker! I've not heard anything about this and my partner's in the police. She's not come across this, although it seems like an interesting idea and the sort of thing I could believe some elements would be pushing for

Edited by chrisjpainter

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, she's an insurance broker. 

She's partly correct.............

Taken from the RAC link above ----

Could I lose my licence?

Absolutely. The changes effectively mean that if a new driver (someone who has held a licence for less than two years) is caught using a hand-held device behind the wheel, they will lose their licence. Drivers are only allowed to clock up six penalty points in their first two years of driving, rather than the normal 12.

So apart from not being new legislation passed today, not mentioning it only applied to new drivers or people with 6 or more points on their licence already, and plucking the figure of 3 months out of thin air.....she's spot on. :)

9 minutes ago, walshie said:

So apart from not being new legislation passed today, not mentioning it only applied to new drivers or people with 6 or more points on their licence already, and plucking the figure of 3 months out of thin air.....she's spot on. :)

??

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Have just been informed by a friend that legislation has been passed today, and with immediate effect, that anyone caught using a mobile phone or handheld satnav whilst the engine of their vehicle is running, will immediately lose their license for 3 months. 

Anyone confirm this? 

I thought that they had to have an 'England' flag flying from the window and a re-offence meant another flag on the other side  !

44 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

She's partly correct.............

Taken from the RAC link above ----

Could I lose my licence?

Absolutely. The changes effectively mean that if a new driver (someone who has held a licence for less than two years) is caught using a hand-held device behind the wheel, they will lose their licence. Drivers are only allowed to clock up six penalty points in their first two years of driving, rather than the normal 12.

Thanks CT; will inform youngest. ?

They cannot police the present law let alone such as you describe or the pathetic woman driving a black Audi along the A14, using her phone and looking at paperwork on the passenger seat would be looking for some new walking shoes. Swerving lane to lane then diving across infront of a truck to get into a layby, then a few miles further on passing us at warp speed and doing an no indication turn across into the south bound intersection to wards London, fortunately out of our hair.  She is not alone, I see it every day.

Should be 12 points mandatory, six month ban.

Edited by Walker570

Which brings me to my favourite topic: Lack of police presence on the roads. About 1 in 5 of the people (mostly either female or van drivers) I see during the day on the lane where I live are either texting or talking on their phone. Laws are pointless if there's no one to uphold them.

Amazingly though, when there was a problem yesterday with a disruptive person randomly abusing people in the town centre, instead of sending in a couple of WPCs to calm things down or a Bobby on a bike like in the old days, they sent 5 (yes 5) vehicles and heaven knows how many officers to deal with the (cough!) incident. Meanwhile about 500 people around the area were using their phones whilst driving.

There is a degree of truth in this, sitting in a layby, gearbox in neutral, handbrake on but engine still running to keep the aircon on, you can be legitimately nicked for talking on the phone. One poor man got caught parked in a motorway services car park, he appealed but the conviction but the conviction was upheld.

Engine on = conviction, even on private property.

Sitting in heavy traffic at 8.30 in the morning, no seatbelt, eating toast and talking on your phone, just carry on, nobody cares

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

They cannot police the present law let alone such as you describe or the pathetic woman driving a black Audi along the A14, using her phone and looking at paperwork on the passenger seat would be looking for some new walking shoes. Swerving lane to lane then diving across infront of a truck to get into a layby, then a few miles further on passing us at warp speed and doing an no indication turn across into the south bound intersection to wards London, fortunately out of our hair.  She is not alone, I see it every day.

Should be 12 points mandatory, six month ban.

its because she was in an AUDI, its pretty much compulsory to drive like that.