Some suggestions.

Cranfield

Taken from the Home Page of this site:
If anyone has any other suggestions , please post them on this thread. thumbs-up.gif

This is undoubtedly the most daunting obstacle for the newcomer to shooting pigeon to get over. How do you get land? Here we aim to help you in this situation, as even the old hands at shooting can be thrown if they move and don't have any contacts.

Probably sounds obvious,but a good tip is to wait till the birds are hitting a crop hard before you seek out the farmer.This way he can see the problem himself while you are there and is more likely to give permission...

When looking for land to shoot you will get a lot of knock backs. DON'T give up I was looking for land with my mate, we had some possible success at a large estate for after the game season but not much else after nearly three hours and loads of farms searched I was getting fed up. My mate said we should try one more farm very close to my home and if no success we would try again next week. Well to my surprise the farm said Yes and had we got the kit with us to start straight away (doh! we didn�t - so always be prepared) so we start on the land the next Saturday and i've since been over to have a look and well stacks of Pigeons. Tip submitted by: Kevin

One tip i find sometimes works when looking for shooting is to turn up at the farm reasonably smartly dressed,a shirt and tie, jacket and casual trousers as opposed to my usual garb of camo gear and head net, It does work and gives a good first impression, try it! Tip submitted by: Sutty

The best way to get land is to offer them your services in return. I am a electrician and I go around the farms in my van I then ask them for permission in doing so I offer them my services as an electrician in return, this usually does the trick everytime because theres always a time when they will need one. And we cost alot of money! This goes for plumbers ,roofers, mechanics all of the trades even non skilled people can offer the farmer a helping hand when needed. Tip submitted by: Stephen

Most of the farmers I know (in fact all of them) enjoy a drink. If all else has failed why not try a pub! I don't mean take to drink! I mean try going to a pub and talking to farmers... you know the type of pub I mean... out of the way, on the back roads of a local village. You can bet there will be at least one farmer in these types of pubs who will be willing to let you shoot their land! In fact ALL of my shooting land has come about by just talking to some farmers over a pint in my local, I have got 1500 acres of shooting land, and not one farm visited! This of course will mean going to the local pub quite a few times... but all in the name of pigeon shooting!!! Tip submitted by: Rob. Nice tip, where is the effort in just going down to the pub, after all you have a perfect excuse!

When you get in make sure you are responsible -always pick up empties and if possible always use fibre/felt wads to reduce litter. Try and before your first visit go and have a shot at some clays as this will improve your accuracy, often for the first few times the farmer will poke his head over a hedge to see how you are getting on! Obviously if your bag is pathetic but he knows you have had plenty of shots he won't be best pleased! Get him to call you when pigeons are hammering a field but don't be lazy, always do reconaissance and look round his fields and if you spot a few then ask him if they are bothering him...

ALWAYS tell him when you are going out and where, as if he finds you where you shouldn't be as he will be cross!

• 2 months later...

Have a little business card printed with your name and phone number on it so Farmer Giles can pin it up in the kitchen. After you shoot, go back and tell him how you got on and offer half a dozen birds. If you are on keepered land a bottle of Highland Peaty Water won't be amiss. Always ask before taking a dog; some folks don't want them around.

Suttys advice about being clean and tidy applies to you motor as well.

Say please and thankyou, always.

Posted by Eug

• 2 weeks later...

Sieze every oppertunity.

I can only endorse Eugines suggestion with regard to business cards. I had some made quite a while ago, they do work.

A few days ago I answered our works telephone outside normal business hours. It was a farmer wishing to order some cylinders of gas. Having taken his order I introduced myself and enquired if he had any problems with either pigeon or rabbits. Not on this farm was the answer, but I have on my stud farm in Cheshire. I made arrangements to meet him to discuss the land and get a permission form signed.

Last night my friend and I had a ride out to the stud to weigh up the land. First impressions were not very good as there was not much land, and we felt that we had travelled 40 miles for nothing. I contacted the manager by telephone, who described the boundaries and told us that he would be back in half an hour, but that we could carry on, which we did.

On our closer approach the two field absoluteley lifted with rabbits, and its an ideal spot for the rimfire. The manager arrived and Iintroduced myself and friend, and then presented him with a couple of my posh cards. He was impresssed and immediateley requested another half dozen for surrounding land owners who also had a problem. I cant wait to see what comes of it!

webber

• 6 months later...

I don't know much about pigeon shooting, but this is how I got most of my ferreting ground! I got a large map of the area around Brighton, { the walkers and hikers maps are ideal because they show a lot more detail }. I look at areas that could ideally hold rabbits, farms on the edges of railway lines, motorways, woods and overgrown areas, then mark them on the map. Then out comes the yellow pages and I look up the farmers who are in that locality, it's easy enough because the farm is named on the map and you just check it against the farmers details in the yellow pages. Then I write a short, polite letter asking if they have any problems with rabbits and offer my services freely, making sure to tell them that I would be reliable, discreet and could give references if needed. Keep the letter short and to the point, farmers are usually too busy to read long rambling letters and are usually sure to bin it if it drags on too long. If I get a chance to visit the farmer I always go tidy, it works for me and I've got an awfull lot of permission now!

I'm a Midlander by birth and to be truthful a lot of Southerners take exception to what they call Northerners, { that seems to be anyone who hails from anywhere North of Watford Gap!} But once you prove yourself to be reliable, well, farmers do talk to other farmers and you stand a good chance of getting in somewhere else as well!

hope this helps,

good hunting and keep the faith,

longnetter. :lol::lol::oops:

Edited by Axe

One way i have gained a lot of land for shooting on is by name dropping. One of the farms i shoot is owned by the chairman for the N.F.U. Wales. IF i go to some new farm say bordering a farm i already shoot.

My ususal banter is that we have been shooting/ ferreting /longnetting on the bordering farm and that i have noticed that there is quite a bit of traffic by rabbits between the farms. Then the name drop comes in! "as i was saying to (name drop) last time i was there. The ususal reply is "you shoot there?". Its like a magic wand you can almost see them think "if he shoots there he must be safe and reliable". Works for me. But there again welsh farmers are a breed apart :oops:

I Found my shooting by joining my local wildfowlers, cause we don’t only shoot ducks!

I have just undertaken the role of membership secretary and we have places available for safe guns, membership to BASC is inc so insurance is sorted for you.

We have large areas of the tidal river Alde in Suffolk and marshes, plus farmland for pigeon.

We have members from many areas and cost are very reasonable, As a responsible club we do ask all new members to undertake a quarry recognition test, once that’s past you have access to some fabulous shooting!

pavman

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ask the local shoots if they need beaters?

all the beaters locally have more shooting than they can handle,

I drink and shoot with a few farmers, and can usually walk onto any farm locally,drop a name or two and get permission.

I started 20 years ago on one farm his brother owns the one next door his cousin the next etc etc,

farmers do talk to each other the card idea works well.

• 2 months later...

Indeed yes. 250 arrived this morning, which I am now preparing to send out with copies of my begging letter to local farms. The dozen or so in the immediate vicinity are to be graced with a personal visit!

You can also get magnetic versions of your cards (in multiples of 25) for farmer to stick on his Fridge/Aga/Bentley to remind him (as he's getting the champagne/swan/wife out) to give you a call...

They're free as long as you let vista put their advert on the back (a line of text), but you can pay to have blank-backed ones.

Seems like a pretty reasonable idea.

Oh, and that's "my lord" to you LB :<

LS

• 1 month later...

:D Hi

Being new to this forum, I am also looking for some pigeon shooting having just lost some ground to a greedy Bas-----d who wants it all to him self, only because hes known the farmer for 15 years. I shoot 12 b and 17 HMR when I can .

would be grateful for tips for getting land around northants,I do some beating but like every one else unless your up the back leg of the keeper kiss kiss its may be next season (been shooting for the past 10 yrs)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

ive been an air rifle hunter for 13 years now and the best advice i can give to anyone trying to gain new land to shoot on is to try and catch the farmer when hes not milking or at a very busy part of the day and tell him you are asking around all the local farms if they are having problems with rats rabbits crows etc and that you will provide a shooting service for them to keep the farmers pests under controle and you dont charge any fees for your services and all bounderys and live stock and property will be respected fully. ive found that this has worked for me with all the farms ive gained over the years and as long as you respect the farmers wishes you shouldent go wrong happy shooting pf 25

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all

just on the subject of shooting cards i would rather use www.shootingcards.co.uk as they are much better quality than vista as i used to have vista for my business cards and you only get a good quality if you pay for the extra upgrade, But with shootingcards.co.uk they are all very good quality all you need to do is look on his site to see how excellent these cards are i have had two lots off him now and they last months in your wallet which at the end of the day that’s what we want, what good is a card if it gets tatty in a week or so.

Plz let me know if you order and from them and what you think..

Cheers Paul

Edited by saggy61

• 1 month later...
Hi all

just on the subject of shooting cards i would rather use www.shootingcards.co.uk as they are much better quality than vista as i used to have vista for my business cards and you only get a good quality if you pay for the extra upgrade, But with shootingcards.co.uk they are all very good quality all you need to do is look on his site to see how excellent these cards are i have had two lots off him now and they last months in your wallet which at the end of the day that’s what we want, what good is a card if it gets tatty in a week or so.

Plz let me know if you order and from them and what you think..

Cheers Paul

i ordered mine, but the 'about me' bit never loaded on paypal. so i phoned the guy up, and he sent me an email straight away! which I duly filled in and they arrived the very next day. so personally I'd highly reccommend him.

BB. :good: