Avon 'Skin so Soft'

steve_b_wales

38 minutes ago, bobt said:

they must have a good aim

some tribes colour their hair by sticking their heads under a cows backside when they went for a widdle.....................i believe im right in saying Madonna in her early years advocated the practice of washing in widdle....ole guy ritchie must have been quaffing a few tubes of lager to keep up with demand...

such is life

nought a queer as folk.........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mungler said:

Does it actually work against mozzies?

Ive heads all sorts - is there anything definitive?

Myself and lin have be using avon skin so soft for the last few weeks , our findings are , it does nothing whatsoever to deter horseflies, midges still land on you but die before they can bite you , and it makes my skin dry and flakey.

I'm still not sure if it stops muzzles or not though.

16 hours ago, Winston72 said:

Figgy i have read many of your posts over the years and consider you intelligent and reasonably logical, that said SHUT YOUR EYES WHEN SPRAYING STUFF ON YOUR FACE,or even safer spray on your hand and rub it on your face, 

HA HA Winston i use it for on the marsh in September sweating is part of it but skin so soft running into your eyes or worse deetisnt fun, wife said other stuff you spray on your face huts your eyes too .

Edited by figgy

Skin so soft will put them off but as it dries they will continue to land and bite. It's oil based so can be an issue as it can accentuate sun burn. I have also seen it make plastic bags go all brittle and crack like glass. So maybe not the best for putting on your face. 

Smidge is decent. 

Deet based sprays come with their own issues as do cypermetherin , but both work.

Natural Systems sprays are the best that I have used. 

Midgies and mosquitoes come with the territory , it's ticks that everyone needs to be  aware of and be really careful with , avoiding getting bitten and getting them out safely. 

I used to swear by SSS but last batch was terrible and just a waste of time. Not bought any since.

Seemingly SSS acts as a barrier cream to midges and they don't like biting throu it but u will still get them buxing around u thou

Smidge is pretty good really althou the best thing is a midge jacket, u soon get used to wearing it.

Been a really good year for midges this year, hardly any about with the cold spell and the now dry hot spell, hopefully it will cling on till to late for the little ******* to come out.

Never even had to turn my midge eater on yetthis year, happy days

Must admit i've been taking garlic and vitamin B pills this year for a few months now and actually think they mibee do work, the midges are still landing on me but not biting me like they were earlier on in season.

20 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I used to swear by SSS but last batch was terrible and just a waste of time. Not bought any since.

Seemingly SSS acts as a barrier cream to midges and they don't like biting throu it but u will still get them buxing around u thou

Smidge is pretty good really althou the best thing is a midge jacket, u soon get used to wearing it.

Been a really good year for midges this year, hardly any about with the cold spell and the now dry hot spell, hopefully it will cling on till to late for the little ******* to come out.

Never even had to turn my midge eater on yetthis year, happy days

Must admit i've been taking garlic and vitamin B pills this year for a few months now and actually think they mibee do work, the midges are still landing on me but not biting me like they were earlier on in season.

Im planning on starting the vitamin B but probably a bit late now, I've been using the SSS and I've been bitten within minutes. The midges seem to Lance as they land, I'm back on long gloves tomorrow as its mostly my fingers there getting. I am right by a lake and as soon as you disturb the bracken there on you, might be worse without the SSS who knows.

Now to google midge jackets

18 hours ago, Winston72 said:

I've been in Kilchrenan in NW Scotland, at the side of Loch awe (Midge paradise) recently and the midges are a real pain skin so soft isn't  that great for me but i had success with "smidge that midge" and some of the locals swore by don't bite me patches, last year i tried to man it out and ended up with over 78 swellings despite wearing a long sleeved shirt

Who was a lucky boy, 78 swellings hmm ?

If u really need to get something done in a midge infested hell hole midge jackets are the way forward (just a mesh hoody with a face viel) works best with a cap on to keep the front mesh off ur face. So ur quite happy working away with a T shirt on in this heat.

I bought about 10 of them a few years ago and keep them stored away all over the place, in any sheds, kennels pick ups etc so i'm never far away from a jacket if needed.

Brilliant if ur properely sweating as nothing to run into ur eyes.

I got mine from a stalking shop called Moray Outfitting really decent blokes to deal with and decent jackets too (they also sell the best rifle sling i've ever used to, Z aim?, and not dear either)

Must admit i've lost touch with the SSS bottles, i think orginanlly it was a white bottle with pale blue writing then changed to a pale blue bottle, but it was always the dry skin stuff u want.

I think Bushwear sell the right stuff (but i have to admirt my last lot came from them and never worked, not blaming bushwear but either SSS has changed or i have cos it doesnae work for me anymore and it used to be brilliant)

On 25/07/2018 at 18:16, figgy said:

HA HA Winston i use it for on the marsh in September sweating is part of it but skin so soft running into your eyes or worse deetisnt fun, wife said other stuff you spray on your face huts your eyes too .

that took a while for the penny to drop, shes right it stings like hell

It might be in my head but after my dog had a bad time i was giving her a  omega 3 , cod liver oil , garlic and multi vitamin tablet  to aid recover after being told it was a waste of time and good food and exercise would help more , i started taking them to finish the containers not only do i feel better but last night when the others where complaining about being bitten  i never got touched , i was given the garlic to stop fleas and ticks so maybe it works ?.

Have used avon skin so soft for years when shooting now and have been bit just the same as when wearing jungle stuff,but jungle formula always feels like some bad chemical.

Also heard that the guys out in the hotter climes use listerine mouth wash to repel flys.

9 hours ago, Winston72 said:

that took a while for the penny to drop, shes right it stings like hell

Your right I did I was tired out when I first read and replied. When I read it next I thought idiot howd you miss that. Wife laughed though. 

13 hours ago, vampire said:

Have used avon skin so soft for years when shooting now and have been bit just the same as when wearing jungle stuff,but jungle formula always feels like some bad chemical.

Also heard that the guys out in the hotter climes use listerine mouth wash to repel flys.

Dunno about listerene but the kiwis mix baby oil and detol together to try and stop sand flies (very similar to a midge) it sort of worked but again the trick is to keep reapplying it