MOT may be scrapped

ditchman

A new so called "report" out today...has said that MOT's do not serve any purpose in reducing accidents..............

these "reports" must be written by people of an age that do not remember what it was like before the MOT test..................i remember being driven to kings lynn on a winters morning in an old ford popular where you could see the road between your feet and for heating there was a parafeen heater tied (for safety) to the back seat..............

the sun must be going to peoples heads in Westminster...................

As one who ferries the Grand children around, to me it makes sense that an independent pair of eyes has examined my cars once a year and they are then brought to a minimum road worthy standard (that`s what the test is for) even though the test is only valid for the day it`s examined. I am sure that most of us right thinking people will get their cars/trucks repaired as soon as some thing like a strange noise occurs. Just because a car dose not have a current MOT certificate dosent necessarily make it unroadworthy,  mine went through with no faults, in spite of the uprated MOT testing in May. Also makes it easier for the ANPR system to log that these vehicles have been on the road, with postal fines following.

You would think our Lords and Masters have nothing better to do than interfere with a system that generates them monies when they are strapped for cash. Is this a smoke and mirrors ploy to hide some more even worse news?

Nothings perfect, except the other half as shes always telling me!

I put new wings and sills on my austin worsley in1967 didnt put seats back in it sat on a milk crate i drove up to mot garage asked him to check it all out before i put carpets and seats back in he said alls ok but he would have to fail it because i had not put seat belt anchor points back in to innear sills i just laught and drove of seat belts where not compulsere then

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

A new so called "report" out today...has said that MOT's do not serve any purpose in reducing accidents..............

these "reports" must be written by people of an age that do not remember what it was like before the MOT test..................i remember being driven to kings lynn on a winters morning in an old ford popular where you could see the road between your feet and for heating there was a parafeen heater tied (for safety) to the back seat..............

the sun must be going to peoples heads in Westminster...................

Got a link?

I'm an  MOT tester and it's nothing I've heard of!

Not in the Daily Mail was it?  Oh dear, if it was.

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

Got a link?

I'm an  MOT tester and it's nothing I've heard of!

Not in the Daily Mail was it?  Oh dear, if it was.

no link im afraid ...........just a news story on BBC 24 Hrs....with interveiws.........................

There's definitely no MOT for historic vehicles, ( above 40 years old ) providing they have not been substantially altered. There's a list  provided of things that are classed as substantial changes. The assumption is that people owning classic vehicles keep them in good order.

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 13:05, Harnser said:

You didn’t change your tyres until you could see the canvas showing through . What a load of none sense. We would be able to have mole grip steering wheels .

harnser 

The mole grip steering wheel thing was pretty much fake news.

Edited by motty

I think an MOT is a very cheap way of having your car checked over to make sure its safe to drive. If you put it into a garage to have the same level of inspection it would cost a lot more.

I think we should go down the German route and make the test more comprehensive, covering things like wheel alignment.

One of the big hidden benefits of an MOT these days is that it records the mileage history.

47 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I think an MOT is a very cheap way of having your car checked over to make sure its safe to drive. If you put it into a garage to have the same level of inspection it would cost a lot more.

I think we should go down the German route and make the test more comprehensive, covering things like wheel alignment.

One of the big hidden benefits of an MOT these days is that it records the mileage history.

hello, thats ok vince if you do not get ripped off by garages charging for work not required or ?????

I go back to years when the MOT was not required and we had some terrifying vehicles running around. The present MOT is not perfect but serves a very useful purpose.

We had a saying back then about 'statistics' and the people who work on them but I would probably be banned for life should I voice it here.   I appreiate the check up on our vehicles each year. Have it done at a local family run garage and know that when I get it back there will be other comments about things which need attention nothing to do with the MOT which I had no knowledge of.    A £ a week well spent in my view.   

My cousin's OH was an RAC patrol man for many, many, years. I remember him saying many times that most breakdowns were simply down to basic maintenance not being done. Cars being run with no oil or water, knackered plugs or belts.etc

At least the MOT makes them do safety checks

Edited by Vince Green

What a dreadful idea I don't see the point at all, as said it will worsen safety on the roads not to mention the financial loss to business who undertake MOT's.

I got planning and building regulations for a family friend to construct a Class 1 MOT Facility adjacent to his existing repair garage, Imagine the impact on someone like that if MOT's were scrapped all that outlay for almost nothing.