Anyone Used A Puncture Repair Kit ?

marsh man

Morning all . ... The car I am now getting haven't got a spare wheel , it have got an emergency kit which I have never seen before and haven't got a clue how good ( or bad ) one of these are if needed.

Would you be happy relying on a spray kit , or would you invest in a spare wheel , I read where the A A wouldn't come out if the car should have a spare wheel , they  would only come to you if the car wasn't supplied with a spare wheel from new.

How right this is ? , I don't know but I am sure some of you very helpful people will know and are willing to put me right .

THANKS in advance and have a good day .

A mate was touring Scotland a couple of years ago in his Skoda Octavia. Had a blow out which left a hole in the tyre. the repair kit was useless. Both his phone and his wife's could not get a phone signal. They flagged down a passing motorist who alerted the AA for them.

I have bought spare wheels / jack/ wheel brace for the last two cars, which were supplied with only a repair kit.

As above. Repair kits are fine if you've got a nail in the tread or similar. Absolutely hopeless for holes or splits in the sidewall. At least you know where you are with a spare wheel, even if it's only a spacesaver. 

18 minutes ago, B725 said:

If you use the spray you cannot have it repaired at a later date better having a spare wheel.

I had one of mine repaired after using the tyre repair kit.

Got a small bolt stuck in another one, the kit couldn't repair that one.

I replaced the 'space saver'????? wheel supplied with a proper one for £60 off the bay - tyre has 7mm of tread and fits perfectly in the wheel well that was obviously designed for a proper spare in the first place

The thought of using a space saver wheel as a front wheel in icy or downpour conditions on a motorway or busy A road where folk have zero patience for sensible driving speeds is not exactly on my bucket list of ways to commit hari kari

Having to spend the extra time changing back to front at the side of a motorway or dark A road strikes me as not high on the common sense scale

So I will always get a proper spare wheel and jack and check I know where the b******* security socket is for the wheel bolts

Good job you don't have a Range Rover - mine has a full size spare but it is almost impossible to get it out without getting a hernia-the car has a kind of band that loops around it and is supposed to help lift it out but, my god, it's heavy - the jacks are also famous for being unable to lift the weight of the vehicle.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Morning all . ... The car I am now getting haven't got a spare wheel , it have got an emergency kit which I have never seen before and haven't got a clue how good ( or bad ) one of these are if needed.

Would you be happy relying on a spray kit , or would you invest in a spare wheel , I read where the A A wouldn't come out if the car should have a spare wheel , they  would only come to you if the car wasn't supplied with a spare wheel from new.

How right this is ? , I don't know but I am sure some of you very helpful people will know and are willing to put me right .

are you saying that they make/sell cars without spare wheels now ??

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

If you buy a new discovery sport you have to specify a  spare wheel before ordering only then do they alter the floor pan  on production allow the spare otherwise a bottle of gunk and no room for the spare wheel 

1 minute ago, B725 said:

If you buy a new discovery sport you have to specify a  spare wheel before ordering only then do they alter the floor pan  on production allow the spare otherwise a bottle of gunk and no room for the spare wheel 

im sitting here with mouth open...............:crazy:

18 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Most new cars now only come with a repair kit, as is cheaper for them & if you want a spare that will be mucho mucho pounds please sir.

Cheaper and lighter helps with fuel. A few years in and the gunge may well have dried up in the tube. 

Spare wheels not so critical now I guess when we have recovery and so few punctures.

Famous last words ?

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

im sitting here with mouth open...............

My last 2 cars didn't have a spare......first one was 2007................where have you been for the last 11 years ditchman :lol: only pulling your leg :beer:

Both cars I got a spare wheel & jack for. Call me old fashioned

Repair kit is only any good for small hole punctures like nails or thorns, as said, it will not repair holes/cuts in the thread or side wall.

My last car came without a spare so I brought a new full size steel rim and tyre, makes you feel much more confident, if I now get a puncture I can just change for the spare and be on my way again, I can then get the puncture repaired at my leisure, makes me feel a lot happier when on holidays and touring the local area.

Get a full size spare, you may never need it but its peace of mind.  

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

Maybe they hadn't reached our county yet , I only found out three days ago when I asked the seller what is the spare wheel like .?

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Repair kit is only any good for small hole punctures like nails or thorns, as said, it will not repair holes/cuts in the thread or side wall.

My last car came without a spare so I brought a new full size steel rim and tyre, makes you feel much more confident, if I now get a puncture I can just change for the spare and be on my way again, I can then get the puncture repaired at my leisure, makes me feel a lot happier when on holidays and touring the local area.

MANY THANKS to all for the very helpful advice , a spare wheel will be on my priority list as soon as the car come home to mine next week .

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

is this the same car with only 1 key?

3 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Not wanting to be cheeky or owt, but why buy a car with 1 key and no spare wheel?  If it was me I would have walked away, not unless you are getting a right good deal, just my thoughts.

Perfectly good question Billy , I have been looking for a Honda CR-V for this coming winter so I haven't been in to much hurry , I have looked a couple , or went to look and when i got there it was already sold and the other one was to expensive for me.

This one was more or less on my doorstep , well 14 miles away , it was well within my price bracket and the year and miles were about right , it had two owners , the first one was the N H S and was well looked after with all the receipts , then this bloke bought it for his wife two years ago , she is now buying a new motor next week , so he put it up for a quick sale .

I sent a email asking if it had two keys and with it having a fairly short m o t asked him what would be the lowest price he would accept off the asking price , he replied it only had one key and if I was willing to accept the m o t as it was he would take £300 off his listing price .

So me and my wife went to have a look , to me the car was in very good condition , it was serviced six weeks ago and the last two m o t certificates had no advisories , it had a new clutch two years ago and some other work done that didn't mean much to me .

He had one other person look at it who was going to let him know if he wanted it and two more were coming the following day , I made him a offer £200 less than he wanted which he accepted , as he was showing me the bit and pieces he came across this punctures repair kit , and with me never seen one before is why I asked the question .

At the moment a spare wheel and key would cost in the region of £200 , added on to the price I paid it would still be line .

I have only paid a £100 deposit till I pay in full next Friday , so if I have any doubts and pull out it wont be the end of the world .    

18 hours ago, old'un said:

I agree and did exactly as Old'un. It's all about peace of mind.

I did buy a secondhand car once with no spare just the repair kit and was told by the car salesman "when did you last have a puncture ?" Fair comment I thought. Blow me down, three weeks later got a puncture. Fortunately I was near home and managed to get a pal to take the wheel to get it repaired properly. Just didn't trust the repair kit.

Get a spare wheel and Jack. 

OB