TVP Renewal and doctors letter

Moblies

Sent in my renewal for sgc and get a letter from the doctors £65 to give a report, now TVP sent me a letter stating the doctors have indicated they will report for payment and to contact the doctors. If its not provided by the 5th Sept they may take the absence of information into account when making a decision.

Now I have been to the doctors once in 5 years for a blocked ear and not paying £65 for them to tell them that.

I'm just about to email TVP to tell them I'm not paying and under no obligation to pay. had i had a medical condition that could affect my renewal I understand the Police should still pay for the report although it would probably be wise for the applicant to pay it in those circumstances.

so just before i tell them to bog off am I still correct in my assumption.

Cheers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they take an absence of information into consideration? Are they saying that they are able to assume that you have problems if nobody has declared otherwise? Nobody has ever written down that I am not an Alien but that does not mean that the police can assume that I am?

This whole part of the system is just going to snowball until someone with a bit of money stands their ground and goes for a legal challenge.

It will have to be an individual as none of the shooting associations that we pay to represent us seem keen to enter the fight!

The TVP letter is a little grey I suppose they are unlikely to say you're renewal will be declined without the doctors letter as the probably know they cant do that.

I've emailed them to say i'm not paying so will see how it goes.  

10 minutes ago, Moblies said:

The TVP letter is a little grey I suppose they are unlikely to say you're renewal will be declined without the doctors letter as the probably know they cant do that.

I've emailed them to say i'm not paying so will see how it goes.  

Good for you.? Let us know how it goes. 

I think the people on the top floor of some forces are making it up as they go along and this is likely to get worse as there is very little challenge, its well known that some high ranking police officers and politicians would like to see a complete ban on gun ownership, if they cannot get a ban at present then they seem to have made it their goal to put as many hurdles in the way, hoping people will just give-up trying for a license, once our numbers are reduced it will be easier to mount that challenge for a complete ban on gun ownership,

It will come.   

34 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

How can they take an absence of information into consideration? Are they saying that they are able to assume that you have problems if nobody has declared otherwise? Nobody has ever written down that I am not an Alien but that does not mean that the police can assume that I am?

Ah! Guilty until proven innocent now is it? The government and police have been trying to introduce this for years!

BASC are challenging it as I have had a letter from them. We in Lincs have been subject of this tactic for some time and it goes beyond Homeoffice guidance leaving it open to challenge. I took advice from the Basc legal eagles and was politely suggested I should pay initially (as long as I could) to keep my licences lawful. 

It was suggested to be by my FEO when he came to visit that it is kind of being done retrospectively at this stage and come renewal time they contact the GP and as a long as no visits to the GP have undertaken that are notifiable then will be no need to get a supplementary report which is the one the docs charge for.

Am I happy with it?

Not really, but can kind of understand why they are doing in light of the hysteria around mentally unstable people having lawful access to firearms HOWEVER in reality does that really happen? 

To me it appears as an aggressive tactic by SOME not all firearms licensing departments to be able to reduce the number of certificates held.....

6 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

BASC are challenging it as I have had a letter from them. We in Lincs have been subject of this tactic for some time and it goes beyond Homeoffice guidance leaving it open to challenge. I took advice from the Basc legal eagles and was politely suggested I should pay initially (as long as I could) to keep my licences lawful. 

It was suggested to be by my FEO when he came to visit that it is kind of being done retrospectively at this stage and come renewal time they contact the GP and as a long as no visits to the GP have undertaken that are notifiable then will be no need to get a supplementary report which is the one the docs charge for.

Am I happy with it?

Not really, but can kind of understand why they are doing in light of the hysteria around mentally unstable people having lawful access to firearms HOWEVER in reality does that really happen? 

To me it appears as an aggressive tactic by SOME not all firearms licensing departments to be able to reduce the number of certificates held.....

Yes.....as history shows. But this is merely an exercise in **** covering by passing the theoretical buck. It will never stop mentally unstable people having lawful access to firearms as it would appear most aren't mentally unstable when applying. 

I received an email from TVP last month inviting me to renew early, with some woolly words about the GP report. I sent in my renewal and got a copy of a letter from my doctor saying they wanted £79 and telling the police they wouldn't be renewing my notes until I paid. I then received a letter from TVP yesterday as per the OP, which again I felt was rather woolly stating:

"Please may we invite you to contact your GP practice directly to complete the payment. If medical information is not provided by the GP, by 4th September 2018, we may take the absence of such information into account in making our decision on your application. In some circumstances, if we are not satisfied that the criteria for grant of a certificate are fulfilled ,it may lead to a refusal of your application". 

Clear as mud, and every police force is different. How hard can it be to have a documented process so everyone knows where they stand? 

And it will be the easiest £79 the GP would ever make to look at a blank sheet of paper! 

This must have kicked of recently as I renewed at the start of this year and heard nothing. Also a shooting buddies doctor refused to do anything as they didn't do private work???? He waited and got his certificate granted by the sounds of it without the doctor commenting.

I did speak with my FEO earlier this year about it when the aforementioned friend was having issues with his GP and her advice was you could request a copy of you medical records and send that in and this would be acceptable. Not sure if this still holds.

To counter this, when your GP is being distracted from carrying out his duties as a medical professional and denying others appointments to take time to review your file ( doesn’t matter if your not a ‘regular’) , then is this really fair all for ‘YOUR’ hobby!

Next time your sick and cannot get an appointment, don’t go starting a thread moaning about it ? ( not saying you have in the past started a thread before you retort)  

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

To counter this, when your GP is being distracted from carrying out his duties as a medical professional and denying others appointments to take time to review your file ( doesn’t matter if your not a ‘regular’) , then is this really fair all for ‘YOUR’ hobby!

Next time your sick and cannot get an appointment, don’t go starting a thread moaning about it ? ( not saying you have in the past started a thread before you retort)  

To counter this, it's a PUBLIC SAFETY matter..........if there's a charge, the police (public purse!) should pay for it! End of!

I have just had to pay £36 for my doctor to respond to the police enquiry, paid the fee and a copy of the reply sent to the police was emailed to me.  All the letter said was that I have the start of age related ailments ( I am 74) , and that there are no record of me having depression.

Edited by butchdickason

16 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Interesting, do you know how long it takes your GP to look at your medical records?

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Interesting, do you know how long it takes your GP to look at your medical records?

Yes, about as long as it took to read your post.

But then they have to make an assessment of your history in case there is a possible limiting condition, review it and either write or dictate a letter to the address given by the Licensing authority and to be written so as to be legal/factual and hold up in court if need be to avoid litigation against the GP or practice.

Then a receptionist or Secretary, has to type the letter or at very least if addressed correctly and send it off.

Now I don’t know what your hourly rate is but having just written the above then I would be charging around the same- try asking a Solicitor to ‘just take a quick look and write a letter for you’

Another poster said about Public Safety and they should do this service for free- well to ensure public more than a cursory glance or ignoring the request isn’t really. In the interest of Public safety.....

If we apply what is required in all other forms life then a request for a letter, even at £80 is a drop in the ocean but I bet your happy to pay £6 or more for a packet of fags? But then expect the same health service professional drop everything ( including his FAC/ SGC requests) to look after you!

Just divide the amount by the five years for a certificate and it’s three pints of your favourite tipple per year!