TVP Renewal and doctors letter

Moblies

I was told by my feo a couple of weeks ago that they don't ask for a report they just ask if you have had any of the problems listed on the application and that a marker is put on you records. That part you should not be charged for and he said if you are its up to you if you pay or not.

If after the first enquiry a report is requested then its up to you to pay the cost. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

So technically this demand has no grounds in legal terms, and has been going on for some time - what exactly are BASC doing then because it seems a clear cut case to most of us? IMHO the BASC are most likely spending more time challenging their Bar Bill.

this with BASC,has been going on for a while, have they sweped it under the carpet.as said above think more of there bar bill.

i was told by my police H/Q on my renewal last year.if they dont here from my doctor with in 3 weeks i will still get my licence, and i did, i did not pay the doctor the £20 he wanted.

29 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Another poster said about Public Safety and they should do this service for free- well to ensure public more than a cursory glance or ignoring the request isn’t really. In the interest of Public safety.....

I mentioned it was a public safety matter, but I didn't say a GP should supply a report for free! I suggested, as the police are responsible for public safety, and if they insist on a report.....they should pay for it!

39 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Yes, about as long as it took to read your post.

But then they have to make an assessment of your history in case there is a possible limiting condition, review it and either write or dictate a letter to the address given by the Licensing authority and to be written so as to be legal/factual and hold up in court if need be to avoid litigation against the GP or practice.

Then a receptionist or Secretary, has to type the letter or at very least if addressed correctly and send it off.

Now I don’t know what your hourly rate is but having just written the above then I would be charging around the same- try asking a Solicitor to ‘just take a quick look and write a letter for you’

Another poster said about Public Safety and they should do this service for free- well to ensure public more than a cursory glance or ignoring the request isn’t really. In the interest of Public safety.....

If we apply what is required in all other forms life then a request for a letter, even at £80 is a drop in the ocean but I bet your happy to pay £6 or more for a packet of fags? But then expect the same health service professional drop everything ( including his FAC/ SGC requests) to look after you!

Just divide the amount by the five years for a certificate and it’s three pints of your favourite tipple per year!

But surly this would only apply if your GP believes/knows you have mental health problems?

20 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I was told by my feo a couple of weeks ago that they don't ask for a report they just ask if you have had any of the problems listed on the application and that a marker is put on you records. That part you should not be charged for and he said if you are its up to you if you pay or not.

If after the first enquiry a report is requested then its up to you to pay the cost. 

That is what my feo told me, if the police did not receive any notice of mental illness from your GP then it was taken as an all clear to issue your ticket.

I have to give people job references all the time, I don't charge for that. If the doctors don't want to do it they should refuse and that would put the whole silly idea to bed very quickly 

The thing that worries me is that anyone who has a problem won't go to the doctor now. 

Edited by Vince Green

If a fees is going to be charge and this is the argument why such a variation in cost at least with medicals such as for your HGV licence you have the option to shop around where as with this you are at the mercy of your practice as they are supposed to know your medical history (that's a laugh my GP wouldnt know me from Adam as I have been lucky enough to be blessed with decent health) ?

In Scotland you have GPs gouging people for up to £400 and then  you have £36 in other areas. So fine if this is the way it is set a sensible charge the same as the FAC/SGC rather than the current money spinning exercise that some GPs see it as. Some of the letters received by SACS/ BASC that have been sent by certain GP have been shocking basically blackmailing FAC holders with threats of a negative report if they don't pay up. In any other business you would be in court for extortion. 

If I sign my SGC renewal application to confirm I have none (and never have) of the listed medical conditions, and despite this the police demand I pay (a sum of money levied at the GP's discretion) to a GP for a report to confirm this!..........Is this not tantamount to accusing me of lying/fraud? by deeming me 'guilty until proven innocent? Contrary to the accepted legal standard of 'innocent until proven guilty'

What next? The police require I pay them an undisclosed sum of money,  for them to check criminal records and write a report to confirm I have disclosed any past crimes (inc speeding) when filling in and signing the relevant disclosure section on my SGC renewal application............another case of the police deeming me 'guilty until proven innocent'

Where will it end?

17 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If I sign my SGC renewal application to confirm I have none (and never have) of the listed medical conditions, and despite this the police demand I pay (a sum of money levied at the GP's discretion) to a GP for a report to confirm this!..........Is this not tantamount to accusing me of lying/fraud? by deeming me 'guilty until proven innocent? Contrary to the accepted legal standard of 'innocent until proven guilty'

What next? The police require I pay them an undisclosed sum of money,  for them to check criminal records and write a report to confirm I have disclosed any past crimes (inc speeding) when filling in and signing the relevant disclosure section on my SGC renewal application............another case of the police deeming me 'guilty until proven innocent'

Where will it end?

Sounds about right. This is the system after negotiation between all the parties. It must have been even worse before? 

Ok this is how I see it.

The police send a letter to your GP, he refuses to reply to them because he can see no reason, or he is willing to send a reply to the police saying he can see no reason to refuse the application, he then contacts you and asks for payment and you refuse, so no letter from your GP either way, the police issue you your ticket as the onus is now on the doctor as the police have done their part and are covered if it is latter found you have metal health issues, cost involved, zero

As above but this time the police receive a letter from your GP issuing concerns about your suitability/metal health, is it not then that the police request a full report on the applicant? which may incur costs from your GP.

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

Sounds about right. This is the system after negotiation between all the parties. It must have been even worse before? 

No giving things away and getting nothing back, that's stupidity/naïvety and incompetence! The agreement that was struck appeared workable, but should have been signed by all parties as binding, not as I suspect, on a gentlemans/verbal agreement!...........Then the medical profession and some police forces couldn't have reneged, as they have!

I wouldn't trust the word of any of em! Because of the self interest and many financial and political interests that needed to be satisfied!.........the agreement should have been made legally watertight!

As you can tell, I’m all for paying for this service- but do agree that just like your car MoT that there does need to be a scale of charges fixed to provide a fair pricing scheme.

I paid for my FAC and SGC Medical with Sussex but not with Norfolk? For my Frenchmen licence I pay €23 every year and our club membership including licence is €160 ( old club was nearly double that but was both rifle and pistol)

19 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

As you can tell, I’m all for paying for this service- but do agree that just like your car MoT that there does need to be a scale of charges fixed to provide a fair pricing scheme.

I paid for my FAC and SGC Medical with Sussex but not with Norfolk? For my Frenchmen licence I pay €23 every year and our club membership including licence is €160 ( old club was nearly double that but was both rifle and pistol)

If I decline to pay for a medical report it may help, but generally adversely affects no one, if I pay and let it be known I am "all in favour" of paying, I am undermining the case of everyone, who wishes to resist this arbitrary imposition!!

So much for us shooters sticking together eh?

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

If I decline to pay for a medical report it may help, but generally adversely affects no one, if I pay and let it be known I am "all in favour" of paying, I am undermining the case of everyone, who wishes to resist this arbitrary imposition!!

So much for us shooters sticking together eh?

It’s not a case of ‘sticking together’

If my Force ( service) decide to implement a hoop then I jump as I don’t see it as an inconvenience and as stated- if it saves just one life my having compulsory medical checks then I’m all for it! 

24 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

their shootersIt’s not a case of ‘sticking together’

If my Force ( service) decide to implement a hoop then I jump as I don’t see it as an inconvenience and as stated- if it saves just one life my having compulsory medical checks then I’m all for it! 

Giving up shooting or driving may also save just one life, would you give these up? 

It should be a case of shooters sticking together, some may be willing, even anxious to part with their money, contrary to agreed official guidelines, but such willing compliance undermines others shooters opposition/resistance to what is arguably, a case of the authorities demanding money with menaces?

Edited by panoma1

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Giving up shooting or driving may also save just one life, would you give these up? 

It should be a case of shooters sticking together, some may be willing, even anxious to part with their money, contrary to agreed official guidelines, but such willing compliance undermines others shooters opposition/resistance to what is arguably, a case of the authorities demanding money with menaces?

I don’t need to give up shooting- I pay as required.

Also do not need to give up driving as taxed and insured—- see, it’s not difficult to play by the rules.

Scully, if it were deemed that I had to give them up then so I would- does that make me an ‘anti’ ? Am I condescending hmmmm, pot and kettle if were to include other threads but let’s not go there.

Wouldnt be the first time as gave up during both major revisions in the Firearms act as indeed you did! Did you fight it? Did you refuse to give them up? Nope, you did as was required despite whatever bravado or keyboard warrior words are used.

6 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Scully, if it were deemed that I had to give them up then so I would- does that make me an ‘anti’ ? Am I condescending hmmmm, pot and kettle if were to include other threads but let’s not go there.

Wouldnt be the first time as gave up during both major revisions in the Firearms act as indeed you did! Did you fight it? Did you refuse to give them up? Nope, you did as was required despite whatever bravado or keyboard warrior words are used.

I didn’t give in or surrender any firearms on the basis that I thought it would save one life, and neither did you. I featured in the national press and on local radio fighting my small isolated corner against all manner of scathing name calling, while our main shooting organisation cowered in the background lest it be tarred with the same psycho hand gunner  label. 

My firearms were confiscated, and the only reason they were is because each one was legally obtained and all were registered to me at my address. 

If you want to convince anyone you’re as noble as you would have us believe, then no doubt you’ll be giving up your firearms.....after all, if it saves just one life.......

So in this case. If as we know basc are not going to mount a worthwhile challenge to the forces. Demanding medical reports or no certificate. What do you suggest people do who are in these areas. The chief constable is not inconvenienced by you not having your cert. The doctor is not either. You the applicant however have a choice sell up. Put into rfd storage. Put on a friends cert. All of which causes great inconvenience to the little man.