TVP Renewal and doctors letter

Moblies

9 hours ago, Jaymo said:

As I said Scully- if the law requires me to do so then I would.

when you say confiscated, what did that mean?

There is a difference between what the law requires and being willing.

They were confiscated by the state, along with everyone else’s, as you know. It was termed ‘surrendered’, but when none compliance means prosecution it isn’t ‘surrendered’, or at least not willingly, and certainly not in my case. I gave the HO as hard a time as I possibly could by being as awkward and unhelpful as I could. 

It was fun while it lasted. 

Edited by Scully

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, bostonmick said:

So in this case. If as we know basc are not going to mount a worthwhile challenge to the forces. Demanding medical reports or no certificate. What do you suggest people do who are in these areas. The chief constable is not inconvenienced by you not having your cert. The doctor is not either. You the applicant however have a choice sell up. Put into rfd storage. Put on a friends cert. All of which causes great inconvenience to the little man. 

In this case what I would do is write a letter to the GP copied to the PCC, chief constable, the IPPC, my MP and anyone else I deemed appropriate, saying something like........I was paying his demands under duress having been threatened by the police that if I refused to pay any fee demanded by my GP, the police would not renew my certificate! Should at some future date this arbitrary decision be overturned, changed or rescinded, I would expect my money to be refunded in full.

May do no good but at least you haven't just rolled over!

Maybe we can simplify the situation- the Police are not asking for your Medical Records, why would they need to know your every illness since the year Dot? (mine is in an A4 folder that would take days to read) - they are, in fact, under their authority demanding that the Doctor informs them of any illness or treatment that may affect your ability to safely own a Gun, surely this is no different in principle to them liaising with DVLA over your driving licence - they have the authority to ask and the DVLA have a obligation to release such details to them and I don't think DVLA have ever charged for such information have they? So it's the Police who are demanding information from your GP so, once we have given permission, why should we even be involved? Surely if the GP refuses then the Police should issue a summons for withholding information?

15 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Maybe we can simplify the situation- the Police are not asking for your Medical Records, why would they need to know your every illness since the year Dot? (mine is in an A4 folder that would take days to read) - they are, in fact, under their authority demanding that the Doctor informs them of any illness or treatment that may affect your ability to safely own a Gun, surely this is no different in principle to them liaising with DVLA over your driving licence - they have the authority to ask and the DVLA have a obligation to release such details to them and I don't think DVLA have ever charged for such information have they? So it's the Police who are demanding information from your GP so, once we have given permission, why should we even be involved? Surely if the GP refuses then the Police should issue a summons for withholding information?

+1:good:

My neighbour submitted his first sgc application in april and has been contacted by the FEO to schedule his visit. I asked whether he’d been asked about a GP letter and he hasn’t. How can this be inconsistently applied surely that’s being prejudiced against certain certificate holders?

we live in Bucks by the way so fall under TVP

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

My neighbour submitted his first sgc application in april and has been contacted by the FEO to schedule his visit. I asked whether he’d been asked about a GP letter and he hasn’t. How can this be inconsistently applied surely that’s being prejudiced against certain certificate holders?

we live in Bucks by the way so fall under TVP

Yep, my renewal was back in September 2017, FAC/SGC never heard a thing from my GP, I have never been asked for any payment from my GP, as I said in an earlier post my FEO told me that if they do not receive a reply from my GP they automatically take it as there are no issues with my mental health and issue the tickets, that’s how it should work.

On 27/07/2018 at 13:41, simonm said:

I received an email from TVP last month inviting me to renew early, with some woolly words about the GP report. I sent in my renewal and got a copy of a letter from my doctor saying they wanted £79 and telling the police they wouldn't be renewing my notes until I paid. I then received a letter from TVP yesterday as per the OP, which again I felt was rather woolly stating:

"Please may we invite you to contact your GP practice directly to complete the payment. If medical information is not provided by the GP, by 4th September 2018, we may take the absence of such information into account in making our decision on your application. In some circumstances, if we are not satisfied that the criteria for grant of a certificate are fulfilled ,it may lead to a refusal of your application". 

Clear as mud, and every police force is different. How hard can it be to have a documented process so everyone knows where they stand? 

And it will be the easiest £79 the GP would ever make to look at a blank sheet of paper! 

Thats exactly what I had, so the surgery obviously sent the same letter to me and the police,  I wouldn't mind but our surgery now closes at midday and if you do manage to get an appointment before you feel better they send you to the other surgery 7 miles away.  I'd rather pay for the appointment.  didn't get a reply friday so will see how it pans out.

On 27/07/2018 at 23:00, Jaymo said:

As I said Scully- if the law requires me to do so then I would.

when you say confiscated, what did that mean?

Just my 2p's worth. The law doesn't req this as the police forces saying they will not renew/grant, up hold the law which the government make and no where does it say you have to have a gp's report for sgc/fac unless you have an illness they may effect you holding said sgc/fac. Or am i missing something?

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

Just my 2p's worth. The law doesn't req this as the police forces saying they will not renew/grant, up hold the law which the government make and no where does it say you have to have a gp's report for sgc/fac unless you have an illness they may effect you holding said sgc/fac. Or am i missing something?

Yes you are missing something- this particular posting that you quoted was about giving up our Rifles/handguns after each subsequent ban and not related to the Medical part of the thread.

On 27/07/2018 at 22:02, Jaymo said:

I don’t need to give up shooting- I pay as required.

Also do not need to give up driving as taxed and insured—- see, it’s not difficult to play by the rules.

But the 'rules' are being bent by both police and GP's.

So response today:    I've replied as before I'v adhered to the current guidelines and therefore so should they.  I guess a copy of my medical notes is a cheaper option

Good Morning

We wrote to you GP, as we do with all applicants.

Your GP has responded stating they require a fee to complete our enquiry.

We cannot proceed without this report or a copy of your medical notes which I believe you are entitled to have.

The fact that they are charging £65 is a matter between yourself and the surgery.

Kind regards

Ok further reply,  

With all due respect to yourself, you are incorrect.

Your GP has the right to request a fee for this work.

The current legislation states that if we do not receive a response from your GP within 21 days we can proceed.  We have received a response from your GP therefore we cannot proceed with this report.

We will consider refusing your application if no report is received within the specified time.

Kind regards

So by the looks of it the GP hasn't just ignored the letter and awaited payment from you before they respond they have written back and said they will do a report but for a cost.

However as I got told previously TVP are accepting a copy of your medical notes which you have a right to get off your GP and they can only charge nominal fees for this i.e. the cost of copying them etc. So if you don't mind sending you records to TVP for this I would get down there and get a copy of your records and send them it. Its should be a lot less cost and it sticks one to the GP.

Edited by Zetter

34 minutes ago, Moblies said:

We will consider refusing your application if no report is received within the specified time.

Interesting. Woolly words.   Note the word "consider".  It doesn't say they will refuse your application, only that they will consider refusing your application.  So, in effect they are saying nothing new.  With any application, they must consider either accepting or refusing.

The Police Scotland letter is much clearer.  It says that they will refuse to process your application without a GP letter.

39 minutes ago, Moblies said:

Ok further reply,  

With all due respect to yourself, you are incorrect.

Your GP has the right to request a fee for this work.

The current legislation states that if we do not receive a response from your GP within 21 days we can proceed.  We have received a response from your GP therefore we cannot proceed with this report.

Kind regards

So they regard a negative response as fulfilling the criteria of having responded? So do we assume that even if your GP responded by stating they saw no reason why the applicant shouldn't be granted a license, this would be regarded as a negative ( but still a response ) response because the GP hadn't forwarded a report? 

Yes so the doctor replied to TVP as he did with me, A report would be £65 thanks.  TVP take that as a response and may refuse the applications.  MAY!  very grey.

As Zetter says they will accept a summary of your records which apparently I need to fill out a form at the doctors,  assuming its is a nominal fee then I can do that easy enough.

If a medical summary will suffice and it's likely to be Free or a small charge and I've given permission for them the access my records I'm not entirely sure why the police cant just ask for that.

9 minutes ago, Moblies said:

Yes so the doctor replied to TVP as he did with me, A report would be £65 thanks.  TVP take that as a response and may refuse the applications.  MAY!  very grey.

As Zetter says they will accept a summary of your records which apparently I need to fill out a form at the doctors,  assuming its is a nominal fee then I can do that easy enough.

If a medical summary will suffice and it's likely to be Free or a small charge and I've given permission for them the access my records I'm not entirely sure why the police cant just ask for that.

Because that would be far too easy, I'm sure there is a hope that many legal owners of weapons might just not bother to renew now that all these hoops are being put out for the law abiding to jump through.