Airgun death this morning

Esca

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad news about the toddler, but the flood gates will now be opened once again and the anti gun mob will jump on a call for a ban on air guns or call for tighter restrictions on ownership (licence) just a matter of time me thinks.

Be interesting to know if the airgun was FAC rated?

Edited by old'un

45 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

Another nail in the coffin of days of unlicensed air rifles/pistols. Exactly the kind of incident that knee-jerk politicians will use to justify changing legislation. They won’t let the facts get in the way of using it to justify their means......

It's not just antis who want to see tighter restrictions on air rifles. There are shooters who think this too. And what facts would you like? There have been countless injuries due to air rifles and a child fatality was inevitable. Then you factor in the number of animal shootings there are and you've got plenty of facts to make the case. If you take a flick through sporting pics, Sako's got a photo there of a buck with an air rifle pellet embedded in its skull. 

Desperately sad for the family and friends. Thoughts go out to all connected to the boy.

8 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite.

I agree entirely. Theres a lot of people here militantly against licensing. I think wrongly and selfishly... licensing would cut down this kind of tragic story - plus the damaging 'cat shooting' type stories that local papers love so much if irresponsible idiots didn't have access.

Has licensing and properly securing your shotgun or fac really cut down your civil liberties? It has for sure cut down on accidents of this type. Maybe if this particular airgun had been secured a pair of parents wouldnt now be facing their worst nightmare after their son had visited someone elses house to play... as a parent it makes me feel sick to think of it.

9 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Desperately tragic for the child's family...........But a bit of paper (certificate) would not have stopped this tragedy!

********.  Your sgc is a piece of paper. Do you leave your 12g lying around for kids to play with?

23 minutes ago, ips said:

In my opinion there is no valid reason for even sub 12ft lb air guns not to be licensed in some way. This is very sad indeed and only goes to validate the law regarding air guns to be kept secure from children.

Fully support this, I was going to write almost the same.

Yes there is some hoop jumping, but the mis-use of Airguns over the years has been something that appals me.

Dont want to come across as snobbish or derail the thread, but some of the questions/types that I have witness in the past forty years of air gun ownership have made me seriously doubt he current laws.

A friend is a vetinary surgeon and the amount of cats and sometime dogs with embedded pellets makes my blood boil.

But to the family of the I send heartfelt condolences 

Jay

5 minutes ago, miroku mk70 said:

I agree entirely. Theres a lot of people here militantly against licensing. I think wrongly and selfishly... licensing would cut down this kind of tragic story - plus the damaging 'cat shooting' type stories that local papers love so much if irresponsible idiots didn't have access.

Has licensing and properly securing your shotgun or fac really cut down your civil liberties? It has for sure cut down on accidents of this type. Maybe if this particular airgun had been secured a pair of parents wouldnt now be facing their worst nightmare after their son had visited someone elses house to play... as a parent it makes me feel sick to think of it.

********.  Your sgc is a piece of paper. Do you leave your 12g lying around for kids to play with?

Are we talking about a piece of paper or gun security?

Just now, panoma1 said:

So under what circumstances would a piece of paper prevent someone being shot?

Let's say you have to prove reasonable cause to own one: shooting permission or gun club. Let's say whoever shot the kid didn't have either. well, they're not going to have been sold an air rifle, because they wouldn't have a license. 

2 minutes ago, miroku mk70 said:

I think the reasons behind people not wanting licencing is because they see it as an attack on grass roots shooting.

until recently my air rifle was simply kept under my bed out the way, but i could leave it on the dinning table and the kids wouldn't touch it, as has been said nothing of the circumstances are known this was hopefully a tragic accident.

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

A £1000 fine for non securing air rifles and a case like this might be reckless negligence?

Responsibility! Now that would be more useful than certification! 

25 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Let's say you have to prove reasonable cause to own one: shooting permission or gun club. Let's say whoever shot the kid didn't have either. well, they're not going to have been sold an air rifle, because they wouldn't have a license. 

And what if whoever did have a licence? Would that have prevented the accident happening?

30 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

It would if the **** wasn’t deemed fit to own one......

Plenty deemed fit to own a gun have proven not to be, Thomas Hamilton et al for example, I have owned airguns for donkeys years never certificated....never had my ownership questioned....I'm safe....never hurt anyone.............a piece of paper would make no difference!

Edited by panoma1

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

And what if whoever did have a licence? Would that have prevented the accident happening?

Plenty deemed fit to own a gun have proven not to be, Thomas Hamilton et al for example, I have owned airguns for donkeys years never certificated....never had my ownership questioned....never hurt anyone.............a piece of paper would make no difference!

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Plenty deemed fit to own a gun have proven not to be, Thomas Hamilton et al for example, I have owned airguns for donkeys years never certificated....never had my ownership questioned....never hurt anyone.............a piece of paper would make no difference!

But thats the issue don't you see? YOU are are not the problem so you cant admit that there is one... YOU dont shoot cats in your garden. YOU dont leave a loaded air rifle propped up in the corner of your bedroom. YOU dont plink in your suburban garden without a suitable backstop. Unfortunately  there are lots who do all of those things that could be weeded out by the licensing process- even if its only by virtue of not being bothered or wanting to pay for it...

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It might not have done. But you didn't ask me what WOULD have prevented this, you asked me how a license system COULD have prevented it. I gave you a fairly reasonable example. No one can say what WOULD have prevented it as we don't have anywhere near enough details to say. A licensing system helps to take guns out of the hands of irresponsible owners and out of the public domain when they don't need to be there. It does not stop all accidents happening.

As to the last bit, it seems like you're not the sort of person for whom owning an air rifle would be either pointless or risky. Unless you don't have permissions, aren't a member of a club and so don't actually need one!  

Absolute tragedy but to call for Airguns to be licensed is pointless - someone on this forum recently commented that you cannot legislate against stupidity and few more sensible words have been spoken. Michael Ryan (Hungerford), Thomas Hamilton(Dunblane) and Derrick Bird (Cumbria) all held the weapons that they used legally so they may as well have carried a voucher for 50% off a Big Mac meal for all the protection that their ticket offered their victims.

Edited by bruno22rf

5 minutes ago, miroku mk70 said:

But thats the issue don't you see? YOU are are not the problem so you cant admit that there is one... YOU dont shoot cats in your garden. YOU dont leave a loaded air rifle propped up in the corner of your bedroom. YOU dont plink in your suburban garden without a suitable backstop. Unfortunately  there are lots who do all of those things that could be weeded out by the licensing process- even if its only by virtue of not being bothered or wanting to pay for it...

Perfect response.

For too long we have overlooked and obvious piece of ‘ammunition’ for the anti shooting establishment to tar ‘All’ shooters with the same brush.

Ive never shot a cat, but I have heard plenty in shops asking if so and so rifle would- fortunately I’ve never seen one sold to said individuals so thankfully not all shops are profit oriented.

But we have all seen the type, esp in the more how shall we say- shop that has a window full of samurai swords/knives and crossbows.....

If were seen to self Police and advocate correct controls then surely that is the responsible thing to do and will help mitigate any negative press towards our sport?