Airgun death this morning

Esca

I can't see a problem with a licencing and registration system for air rifles.

You send in your application with name and address etc the police do a background check and may be a home visit giving you the lowdown on  the law and what is expected of you , find no problems in the last few years and send you your licence. You buy your air rifle and send the details to the police same as for a shotgun. Why and how would that be a big problem

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I can't see a problem with a licencing and registration system for air rifles.

You send in your application with name and address etc the police do a background check and may be a home visit giving you the lowdown on  the law and what is expected of you , find no problems in the last few years and send you your licence. You buy your air rifle and send the details to the police same as for a shotgun. Why and how would that be a big problem

If its that simple it wont be, but how are the police going to cope with a couple of million applications? 

I haven’t learned of the circumstances yet, but a post I put on this morning saying how sad it was and how awful it must be for the parents, has been deleted for some reason, so just wanted to say so again. 

Will have a look through thread and any links once back home. 

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

I haven’t learned of the circumstances yet, but a post I put on this morning saying how sad it was and how awful it must be for the parents, has been deleted for some reason, so just wanted to say so again. 

Will have a look through thread and any links once back home. 

It said it was locked because this thread was already running 

Just watched the news, made my kids and wife watch, very sad news, its being said the lad was at a relatives house when "the tragic accident" happened.

no arrests have been made and police are investigating.

explained to my kids this is why there not to touch my rifle if it's out.

As much as it pains me to say it , I think that it's about time that some kind of licence was introduced for airguns , it probably wouldn't stop every idiot from getting one , but it would drastically limit the numbers , and would hopefully stop the accidental death of any more children.

My most heartfelt sympathies go out to the family.

Very sad for all concerned and a worrying bit of ammunition towards Licencing. 

I am somewhat torn on the issue of air gun licensing, on paper it is a good idea but I certainly wouldn't have ever got into shooting without enjoying plinking with mates in gardens as a nipper. It seems like any form of Licencing requiring 'good reason' as we currently understand it would drastically reduce the exposure of the next generation to shooting. Likewise the expense of any system just doing background checks would also be a huge barrier. 

On the same news article tonight someone had drowned in a river, someone is missing after swimming in the sea and i think they said three dead in a car crash, my kids were asking how and why to all, but this stands out because it is thankfully unusual.

This is a tragic incident. I think that in these type ofcases it is all about prevention. I would be in favor of it becoming conpulsary that every air gun is sold with a trigger lock. Now I know that this will rely on owners using them, but I believe that if it helps reduce this time of incidents it has got to be worth doing. 

5 hours ago, Shufti said:

Correct me if wrong but doesn't the scottish license require good reason?  ie plinking in back yard  not acceptable.

If so will knock off thousands of owners.

hope I'm wrong

As far as i am aware  yes you have to have a good reason ,any type of  shooting in garden is dependant on the size of said garden, wee garden is a no no as stated by police scotland . Up here your sgc or fac covers you till your next renewal  then reduced fee for your air weapon,Now back  to the main topic, my heartfelt sympathy to the family of the bairn.

Edited by AULD YIN
forgot comma

From what I’ve heard on the news this is an utterly utterly tragic accident. Young boy staying with ‘ elderly relatives’, which one can only assume means grandparents. 

To lose a child is every parents worst nightmare, and they must all be going through an awful awful time. 

A lot of questions to be answered by all concerned . Avery tragic time for family that's for sure 

Licensing would only effect  people like us but not the louts  which  have no concern on what they shoot from your council housing estates and before any body jumps down my throat .I know not all  on  these estates are like that 

On 27/07/2018 at 12:36, The Burpster said:

Another nail in the coffin of days of unlicensed air rifles/pistols. Exactly the kind of incident that knee-jerk politicians will use to justify changing legislation. They won’t let the facts get in the way of using it to justify their means......

If you licence air rifles idiots will still have access to crossbows and compound bows which are freely available on even internet sites.

Having been an archery coach for years and a compound shooter for years, I would rather think that someone took a plink at me with an air rifle rather than a compound or crossbow with a broadhead arrow or bolt (again freely available).

1 hour ago, das said:

If you licence air rifles idiots will still have access to crossbows and compound bows which are freely available on even internet sites.

Having been an archery coach for years and a compound shooter for years, I would rather think that someone took a plink at me with an air rifle rather than a compound or crossbow with a broadhead arrow or bolt (again freely available).

So true.....

2 hours ago, das said:

If you license air rifles idiots will still have access to air rifles. There must be millions out there already. 

I can't believe all this talk of licencing airguns, I thought I'd stumbled on "Mumsnet" by accident. Yes, it was a tragic accident - probably caused by stupidity and negligence but I very much doubt if having a licence for the air gun would have made any difference. These accidents are so rare and the media so gun-phobic they are blown out of all proportion, there are far more kids killed in the UK by accidental suffocating with nappy sacks or drowning in inflatable garden paddling pools that with any sort of firearm, let alone airguns.

I would guess that many of those calling for licencing of airguns would also line up with those who thought it was quite acceptable to ban semi-auto centrefire rifles, after all, what normal person wants an AK74. Who in their right mind want's to shoot a military style 9mm pistol, it really won't hurt to ban then as well.

What do you chaps think about the current moves to ban .50 high energy rifles, who could possible want to shoot at something as dangerous as that at targets two miles away. And while we're at it, those nasty lever release 9mm military looking rifles - Lets ban them too, it won't effect many people  and I'll still be able to go to the range and do a bit of proper shooting.

Personally I would like to see every school and scout troop have an airgun club and teach the kids safety and respect for firearms in a controlled manner.

15 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I can't believe all this talk of licencing airguns, I thought I'd stumbled on "Mumsnet" by accident. Yes, it was a tragic accident - probably caused by stupidity and negligence but I very much doubt if having a licence for the air gun would have made any difference. These accidents are so rare and the media so gun-phobic they are blown out of all proportion, there are far more kids killed in the UK by accidental suffocating with nappy sacks or drowning in inflatable garden paddling pools that with any sort of firearm, let alone airguns.

I would guess that many of those calling for licencing of airguns would also line up with those who thought it was quite acceptable to ban semi-auto centrefire rifles, after all, what normal person wants an AK74. Who in their right mind want's to shoot a military style 9mm pistol, it really won't hurt to ban then as well.

What do you chaps think about the current moves to ban .50 high energy rifles, who could possible want to shoot at something as dangerous as that at targets two miles away. And while we're at it, those nasty lever release 9mm military looking rifles - Lets ban them too, it won't effect many people  and I'll still be able to go to the range and do a bit of proper shooting.

Personally I would like to see every school and scout troop have an airgun club and teach the kids safety and respect for firearms in a controlled manner.

The second sentence above was my point exactly! I wouldn't argue with much of the rest either! Especially the last sentence!

23 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Fatalities are rare, for sure (second since September last year). But it's not just about that is it? it's the swans, the deer, the cats, the foxes the cattle, the sheep etc that are being shot regularly. As I've said, it's not going to make a difference overnight. But if people can't buy an air rifle without a cert, and if people can't buy ammunition without a cert, eventually it would necessarily to lead to a decline, because only shooters who could prove genuine use would be owning one. EVENTUALLY far fewer idiots would have access to air rifles and the ammunition to shoot them.

Edited by chrisjpainter

22 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Dead right