Can It Get To Hot For Pigeon Shooting ?

marsh man

I have shot on some very hot days over the years and maybe on days close to the heat of today , but today for some reason I just couldn't find Pigeons anywhere , on our rape stubble they were building up nicely and all I was waiting for was some slightly cooler weather and a bit of wind , well today I looked and there was next to nothing , on the barley stubble it was the same story and after looking at a load of fields  (apart from a few pigeons here and there ) I came to the conclusion it was just to hot with my motor showing 31 degrees .

I might well be wrong about the heat , it might be the amount of fields on offer spread about , but today if they had been active on my patch I would have found them , so I am blaming the heat .

What do you think ???

31 minutes ago, muncher said:

Shot some of my biggest bags when it's been this hot, big double ton with Motty couple of years ago 33 degrees, shot a big bag two days ago 34 degrees ,shot 75 yesterday 34 degrees so I believe if they want it they will have it.

So that put paid to my theory muncher , maybe today's high humidity ? , or just one of them days .

35 minutes ago, vampire said:

Well it was to hot today to go pigeon shooting,after laying a concrete oversite in 34 degrees i had had enough,so yes to hot,no idea about the pigeons.

Didn't you have to stay and keep it damp to stop it drying out to quick ?, or couldn't you be bothered ??

Myself, my shooting friend and a guest from Finland have been out today and driving round it was barren.

i do think there was too much ground open to them. We tried on some rape stubble and some cane close enough to shoot but nothing decoyed. About 4 o’clock we moved and all of us got some shooting but only about 40 between 3 hides. Very slow and they just moved from one field to the next.

went out Friday on rape stubble, 34 ish degrees, set up about 2pm in the shade of a large oak, it was slow to start but the the birds started coming at about 4pm had to pack up at 6, 22 picked lost about 4 in the standing barley behind me. if I could have stayed longer i would have got more. I think the birds feed later when its hot.

This hot weather has been poor for pigeon shooting personally. I think birds are feeding at first light and then maybe last thing. Maybe they don't like hot and humid conditions either? Today is much cooler and a good wind blows. I am heading out soon so I will see if my theory holds any water.

I was out for a while yesterday 2pm till 5pm and I saw lots of pigeons all the time I was out. The birds were busy on the flightlines travelling back and forth maybe 4 miles or so to rape stubble.

I only shot 30 as that was all I needed and hardly surprising many had water spilling out of them. Plenty of young pigeons about too!

6 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

This hot weather has been poor for pigeon shooting personally. I think birds are feeding at first light and then maybe last thing. Maybe they don't like hot and humid conditions either? Today is much cooler and a good wind blows. I am heading out soon so I will see if my theory holds any water.

I think yesterdays lack of pigeons might have been down to the humidity as well as the heat , this morning I went to look at another farm to see if the bales were still on the field , this was at 9am and yes the bales were still there and so were a few pigeons so that's my port of call today and the rape stubble can wait till Monday when it should be windy and a bit cooler.

We had a bit of rain overnight and it don't take long for the rape seed to start germinating , I dont know about you but once leaf get on the seed the best of the shooting is over .

GOOD LUCK to those who are shooting today. 

1 hour ago, Mightymariner said:

Well, I shot over 50 on some turned over rape stubble, from approx 2.30pm to 5pm, so maybe there is something in it.

That was a good bit of shooting in the time you were there , I was out as well and today was 8 or 9 degrees lower than yesterday with a nice fresh wind ,  the pigeons seem like they were back to normal , Well done Mm.

4 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I have shot a couple of Two Hundred bags in 30 plus in the past one on laid barley and one on clover close to a drinking pool.

The humidity Friday was something else P C , I was taking my dog up the river in the morning and it was already 25 degrees and that was a little after 7am , we have had several hot days lately and although my bags haven't been nowhere as big as the M and M team  I have still shot and seen pigeons , whereas Friday , they had either gone or sheltering in the shade in the woods .